“Cheap, clean and well located but ..”

Holiday Inn Express Folkestone Channel Tunnel
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Folkestone
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 21 February 2014

This hotel is very near to the tunnel and we got a good deal but it is very basic and lacking in atmosphere. All staff were excellent and very helpful to us and to other customers.
We found our room to be cold and it wasn't that cold outside. The bathroom was very chilly and we couldn't see any visible source of heating. Might be underfloor but if so not on. The shower was pitiful.
Breakfast was OK and it is possible to have a takeaway if leaving earlier.
We had dinner here which was a big mistake- it was over priced and probably the worst meal we have had in years.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Folkestone Channel Tunnel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2014

Dear RJHNorthYorks,

Thank you for posting a review about your recent stay with us. I am glad that the level of service received suited your expectations. However, I'd like to apologize for any inconvenience you may have had during dining and if the shower facility did not meet your standards. We take all reviews negative or positive very seriously and your comments will help us improve what we can offer.

Pam G
IHGCare

Write a ReviewReviews (1,313)

Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

Booked in advance and got a great room rate. Abby and Chris were very helpful. Menu needs updating but chef was prepared to supply special soup. Very quiet considering how close the motorway is and how many children were staying. Recommended.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

This is a modern, clean Holiday Inn that I doubt any one has spent 2 consecutive nights in because it's only purpose is a stopover for the Tunnel. What makes it worthy of review is the staff. They were all very friendly and simply could not do enough for everyone. High commended.

Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 5 February 2014

So I reviewed in October . I have stayed twice since, generally very happy.

In October I said "Breakfast mixed good drinks and breads poor hot food nice sausages lukewarm cheap beans and some appalling dried yellow stuff masquerading as scrambled eggs.

I note the manager/rep in response to previous guests saying he is sorry to hear they didn’t like the breakfast but not enough to change anything by the looks of it. Breakfast is included rather than free so they should improve it"

The reply was

“We apologize we were not able to exceed your expectations during your stay. Please be assured that these will be looked into so our team can take actions accordingly.”

Just to say that the egg is still the same the beans were hot. These are the worst eggs I have ever been offered.

Room fine on both occasions. Not a big improvement to make better eggs.

Btw breakfast is not free it is included surely!! If they didn't provide it the room would be cheaper in any event whatever it costs it shouldnt have an inedible bit....

1  Thank BasilsTravels
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Folkestone Channel Tunnel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2014

Dear BasilsTravels,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your review is vital for improving the service and quality we offer to our valued guest. I apologize if your stay was negatively affected by our breakfast options. It is always hugely motivating when one takes the time and trouble to acknowledge or give points for improvement. We hope to get the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future. Thank you once again for your valuable comment, and if you might have any suggestions that will contribute to enhancing your stay, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Krysllin G.

Reviewed 4 February 2014

I have been using this hotel for the last five or six years primarily for the convenience of an over nighter near the Euro Tunnel that is pet friendly. I'm going to try and be fair with this and everyone's expectations are different.

If I am travelling without my dog, I have no complaints about this hotel at all. It's clean, friendly, basic and does what it says on the tin. Breakfast and supper tend to be an early finish though at 9.00 for each. Not a problem. Staff are friendly (with one occasional exception). Breakfast and supper are unexciting experiences but there is nothing wrong with it at all. Basic, included, edible. No problem. Rooms : Bed, shower, basin, toilet. Clean, functional. Overnight stop - brilliant but probably wouldn't want a holiday there.

Now. Travel with my dog. Five years ago this was a pleasant and cost effective place to stay. The rooms were clean, my dog was welcomed - and still is to both the room and the hotel reception / bar area. I may be wrong with the cost, but it was originally minimal (I think around £5 or something fairly nominal) and included dog food etc. - which in fairness I never took up as I don't like to take the gamble of unknown dog food for an impending 8 hour car journey and train trip and possible consequences!

However. Things have changed. It is now £35 to book my dog in and I get no food etc within this. As mentioned previously, I have no problem with that. But I do like to have a water bowl down for him. This has always been provided if asked for but it seems to take longer to find one each visit and more grudgingly given. I COMPLETELY understand why the cost has gone up. It would appear that many of my fellow dog owners are not well trained themselves - they do not treat the rooms well. (There are I think six allocated dog rooms). The consequence of this - is the price hike. I have no problem with the price hike. But for Gods sake - if you are going to charge this - please clean the room. Deep clean the room. Do not tell me when I very politely (I am not a rude or aggressive person) that - 'sorry Madam but it is the dog room.' I. Me. The Human Being. The person paying the bill. Who lives in a clean house. Who has a non smelly. House trained dog. Does not wish to sleep in a honking, stinking dog urinal. There were pee stains on the floor (which will only encourage other dogs to cover/mark in the same place) and even the bed - my bed - smelt of dogs. This was room 101 (nice irony eh?) and I have more than once asked in the past, to move to a cleaner room. In fairness to date you have so far always accommodated me. 106 is less bad but not great. I presume because in numerical order it is the last one you book in and used less.

I understand your dilema. I understand that other useless dog owners get us all a bad reputation. But this needs sorting out. As a result you have this time now lost my business whilst I travel with my dog. This saddens me as you are truly the most convenient stop off point. And I don't want you to stop taking pets. Surely you can check the room when people leave and bill accordingly or just black list them for future visits.

In the meantime. I. The Human Being. No longer wishes to stay in your dog room. In fact - even my dog questioned the floor this last time round .......

Room Tip: Put room 101 in Room 101
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Doglover2000
GMHIEXFOLKESTONE, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Folkestone Channel Tunnel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Dear Doglover2000,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Folkestone, Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not live up to your expectations on this occasion.

Your feedback is very important to us to help us establish what is important to our guests and helps us improve our service. I am unable to locate your reservation from your trip advisor name, therefore could you contact me on gm@hiexfolkestone.com with your reservation details; I will then be able to investigate your experience in full.

Kind Regards

Martin Howard

Reviewed 2 February 2014

We stayed here for a night before getting the Eurotunnel and booked it specifically because the website made it sound really dog-friendly and it was our first time taking our two small dogs with us.......we were disappointed! The hotel itself was really clean, staff very friendly and complimentary breakfast more than adequate and I would certainly recommend it for a cheap option before travelling.......but not with dogs. The rooms where pets are allowed are not as accessible as we'd thought (they were through reception, bar & upstairs via stairs or a lift which was very entertaining for two dogs who live in a bungalow & have never seen either!!) The garden turned out to be the car park and all the so-called extras (dog beds etc.) I thought I'd pre-arranged didn't materialise.......this isn't complaining because I should've mentioned it at the time, but with our dogs going abroad I'd rather it were hassle-free. We'll definitely travel with our dogs again........but if our dogs are with us we won't travel via this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Folkestone Channel Tunnel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Dear farleycross,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback online. I am pleased that you found our staff to be accommodating and the breakfast served was sufficient for your needs. However, I truly regret that you were not completely satisfied dissatisfied with the condition of the room that you were given. We have taken note of your feedback and this shall be used to consider for improvements needed in our efforts.

Pam G

Reviewed 2 February 2014

We stayed for one night. The room was very clean with a very good shower. Staff were friendly and helpful and the breakfast was very good and came as part of the room package. The WIFI was free which was helpful. Would stay here again anytime.

1  Thank Joninkent

Dear Joninkent,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express Folkestone.

I’m so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the hotel was of a suitable location for the Channel Tunnel, I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next in the area.

Kind Regards

Martin Howard

Also consider these accommodations in or near Folkestone
Premier Inn Folkestone (Channel Tunnel) Hotel
Best Western Plus Dover Marina Hotel & Spa
Best Western Clifton Hotel
Best Western Clifton Hotel
#6 of 10 in Folkestone

Been to Holiday Inn Express Folkestone Channel Tunnel? Share your experiences!