“fit for purpose” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“fit for purpose”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

Booked hotel for early get away on tunnel. Plenty car parking spaces, efficient reception. Rooms spacious and clean. Comfy bed, exceptional en suite. Coffee making facilities. Bar facilities, but not atmospheric, tv too loud with football. Breakfast served early, and ok with plenty of self service choices. Served its purpose well, no more than 5 minutes from tunnel check in. Room prices reasonable. Thought £15 charge for our dog however was rather expensive!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GMHIEXFOLKESTONE, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Folkestone Channel Tunnel, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear SheilaC,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express Folkestone.

I’m so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. Thank you for your feedback regarding the Pet Charge of £15.00, this is for an additional deep clean of our pet rooms to ensure the highest standard of cleanliness is met.

Martin Howard

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Rugby, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

We arrived late afternoon the day before travelling via the Eurotunnel. Went to our room which was clean and functional as expected given the price. The issues started when we went to get something to eat. There was a rather abrupt (rude) female manager who told us that there is only chef and that we would have over an hour wait. The restaurant was just over 50% full. So we waited and ordered only to find that many of our choices were now not available. There was a very helpful male member of staff who did state we would get a refund as we had a long wait and limited choice of dishes available. Food not good but no other choice without leaving the hotel and driving around.
Bed at hotel was uncomfortable, can't compare with Premiere Inn.
In the morning breakfast was a similar disaster, limited space, chaotic scenes as coach loads of people all trying to eat at same time, limited choice of food, food running out, again staff struggling to cope.
Check out, I asked the lady on reception about the value of the refund and she was really quite aggressive.
Now I can understand they are busy, that resources are not infinite, but we were paying to stay there and service was generally bad, and attitudes worse. We will not stay again, we chose the hotel on location but will choose hotel and service over distance for our next trip.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere or if you have to stay there bring your own food.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dar CatherineM,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Folkestone, Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not live up to your expectations on this occasion.

Your feedback is very important to us to help us establish what is important to our guests and helps us improve our service. I am unable to locate your reservation from your trip advisor name, therefore could you contact me on gm@hiexfolkestone.com with your reservation details; I will then be able to investigate your experience in full.

Bassoues, France
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

We stopped here, to have a quick start the next morning for the channel tunnel. The hotel has very helpful staff, it was clean and is a very convenient stop over and has the bonus of a 24 hour Tesco's supermarket very close to it, if you need to stock up on UK goodies at the last moment. But there the good points end. The rooms were OK but we had ordered a double and got two single beds which were so uncomfortable and had pillows that were awful, even though there was one, so called soft and one hard - we had to ask for more towels as there were not enough for 2 people. How the chef had the nerve to wear chef's whites was beyond us. I had fish and chips - straight out of the freezer and dumped in the deep fat fryer, my husband had meatballs and spaghetti which was just about edible. The croissants at breakfast were tough and inedible (and we were early for breakfast), the choice of other food very limited but I suppose it was free.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the motorway if possible
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Folkestone Channel Tunnel, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear Gale L,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the food selections prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

I had a 2 night business stay here. The staff were all warm and friendly and the room comfortable. I'd love to see a few more veggie options on the menu but what I did eat was well cooked. Breakfast was good, the area it's served in is a little cramped and I was unfortunate enough to be following behind a couple who seemed to want to make a drama out of the small space, moving around and crashing into me and anything else they could find. Good variety of food. Better stay than some of the 4* places I've been in. Ate my cereal with a soup spoon.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank HarveyNobum
GMHIEXFOLKESTONE, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Folkestone Channel Tunnel, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Dear Harveynoburn

I’m so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and the team were helpful.

Thank you for your feedback regarding the dinner menu, we are changing our menu in May and hopefully on your return there will be more options to choose from, I will be reviewing the Breakfast Buffet layout going forward.

Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next in the area.

Pembrokeshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

Booked this hotel as it's right next to the Tunnel and offered a very good advance booking rate. Was the very pleasantly surprised to find a smart, well-maintained building with professional friendly staff. Very comfortable room, remarkable for the price.

As we left before six a.m. when breakfast service begins we were given breakfast-in-a-bag and take-out coffee and tea was available.

Perfect for a pleasant pitstop before an early crossing.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMHIEXFOLKESTONE, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Folkestone Channel Tunnel, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Dear Westalian_9

I’m so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the hotel was of a suitable location for the Channel Tunnel, I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next in the area.

Rainham Kent
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

I booked this for me and the wife to have a 1 night break. Looking forward to the rest we were kindly welcomed to the hotel by the very friendly staff.
We went to the room and we liked the lay out together with it being clean.
Evening arrived and the extractor fan in the bathroom would not turn off.
I of course went and asked about it but was told it was on constantly.
Some people could tolerate it but I am a light sleeper so the staff kindly offered another room which I accepted. It wasn't until the staff had left us in the other room when my wife mentioned it stinks of smoke and I noticed 3 unsightly stains on the carpet but by then I could not be bothered to go and mention it as I am not one to normally complain. It was obvious that people previously had been smoking when it clearly states No Smoking.........must have previously had a couple staying from the Jeremy Kyle Show! I just cannot stand scum bags staying in clean places and treating it like their home.... ( a s##t hole)
To top things off there are 6 rooms allocated for dogs to stay.... I could not believe this until I saw 2 dogs coming out of the lift............ Wish I had cancelled and just gone home because the breakfast was nothing like the buffet I am familiar with but would appeal to lots of families from a third world country.
As the saying goes 'you get what you pay for' and on this occasion we most certainly did..... Will not return.

Stayed March 2014
Dear Steve61975,

Jerez De La Frontera, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

We stayed here after a very long journey and it was exactly what we needed. Showers were hot, rooms were warm and we were even provided with a list of takeaways and restaurants with the distance to each one and suitability. Lost my toothpaste, not a problem, supplied travel size free of charge. Thank you Holiday Inn Folkestone.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Kay W

I’m so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel after your long journey and the room was clean and comfortable for your short stay with us.