“Never even got there !!”

Chandos Premier Guest House
Ranked #19 of 26 Folkestone B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 April 2013

As I am travelling to France with my family I was looking for an overnigt stay near to the ferry in Dover.
I found this place on laterooms.com and the offer seemed attractive. I booked a triple room on the 15th March and had it confirmed by email.
I received a phone call a month later on the 12th April from the proprietor of the guest house saying he needed my room for a bigger party and he had booked me in somewhere else in Folkstone !
I explained if that was how he did buiness he wasn't going to be in it very long.
He said I had to cancel the booking with the online service.
He was no help whatsoever, and when the online service got in touch with him he gave a completely different story.
Hence this report. Never in 60 years have I had such cavalier and unprofessional treatment. Book here at your peril.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Keith S
froggydon, Owner at Chandos Premier Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2013

We are terribly sorry we had to re-arrange your booking for you. Unfortunately in this business there are the very rare occassions where over bookings creep up on us.

As soon as I realised this, as explained to you on the phone, I booked you into a guesthouse 100 metres along from us. This guesthouse is the same grading & quality as the Chandos and even though it was more expensive I had agreed with the guesthouse to pay the difference.

We fulfilled all our obligations to you as required by Laterooms in the event of an overbooking situation, we are sorry the alternative accommdation booked on your behalf was not acceptable to you.

Any future guests concerned over this review please feel free to email me directly:

chandosgh@gmail.com

Reviewed 15 January 2013

My daughter and I made our first trip to the UK and had some business in Folkestone. Our first stay was at Chandos. The location was great, the room comfortable, and the look and feel of the guesthouse appealing. There is a lot of information available in the foyer about the local area, and the stay included an inexpensive and plentiful English breakfast. We were pleased with the value and had a pleasant stay.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 October 2012

I got the impression that his B&B is used very much, though not exclusively, by people en route to/from the port.
I emailed the proprietor for a quote for a five night stay for two and he gave us a very good deal by offering us the room rate with full English breakfast thrown in.
PLUS POINTS: room warm and clean; proprietor friendly and helpful - spent time with us on the first morning assisting us with getting a wi-fi connexion; good choice of menu for full English breakfast in a clean, spacious, 'period' dining room; up-to-date TV and courtesy tea/coffee tray in bedroom; street parking, but no real problem; although our room faced a busy one-way street it was quite during the night; given key to house so we could come and go at will.
MINUS POINTS: our room was at the top of the house up two flights of stairs + (we are both OAPs!); room was a bit cramped with a second bed in it and only one chair; shower was over-economical with water, and a hook on the inside of shower-room door would have been useful; no instructions in room re evacuation in event of emergency.
Overall - our deal was good value.

Room Tip: Ask what the shower is like in the room you will be allocated.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 September 2012

Travelled with friends. The men had 2 single rooms with shared bathroom & struggled to get in there in evening or morning. We had a twin room with its own bathroom which was better. Initially it was cold in the room but the owner fixed the central heating quickly for us & then left on overnight.
Breakfast was good value for £4 & set us up nicely for the day.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 September 2012

Stayed here as it was convenient for the early Tunnel Train. Very clean. Nice bathroom. But the mattress in the double bed was VERY firm so I decamped to the single bed in the room which had to be the noisiest, squeakiest bed in the world. Not much sleep for either me or my husband who had a long drive ahead of him.
Breakfast at 6.15am was not possible, which was understandable. We were told that breakfast was £5 each and maybe we might like to go elsewhere? But where at that time? The Channel Tunnel on the English side is embarrassingly rubbish. So a very basic breakfast of tea bags or instant coffee, toast (ie a loaf of Hovis on the table with the kettle and toaster), jam, fruit juice and yogurt in the fridge. I wouldn't have minded a Danish from Tesco in a plastic wrapper because it would have been better. But a fiver each? Outrageous.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Siouxsie54
Reviewed 8 September 2012

Met by propietor asking if I wished to have breakfast and the time (so freshly cooked)
Room roomy, clean and comfortable bed.
Breakfast hot full english freshly made.
Excellent value would stay again if in the area.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Oggy1962
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Just got back from our second stay at Chandos. We travelled as a family for a weekend with friends and used the family room. Despite having a 13 year old son to satisfy, the bunk beds were more than suitable and accomodated him easily. The room was clean and tidy and had been redecorated since our last stay a year ago. The four of us had plenty of room to get washed and changed in without tripping over one another. Facilities are as good as any other B&B I have stayed in, tea and coffee tray with a full size kettle, TV with DVD, plenty of towels, plug sockets for phone charges etc.! We had a very friendly greeting from Don who made sure we had everything we needed and that we felt able to ask if there was anything missing. We "booked" the cooked breakfast and really can't complain about it. Everything was cooked fresh, was hot and set us up nicely for the day.

The parking arrangements didn't cause any problem to us as we stayed at the weekend. On our previous stay we found parking on the road outside without any issues.

It is very conveniently located for a walk into town or to the beach.

As my title suggests, we would definitely recommend!

Room Tip: We stayed in the family room on the first floor - one double and bunk beds - which is at the back of...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family