“Pleasant experience”

Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Folkestone
Yorkshire
“Pleasant experience”
Reviewed 29 June 2012

The Clifton is ideally situated on the front to the west of town. It is in a quite position with pleasant walks along the front. Our room was well furnished and clean with adequate storage. Our stay was over two nights B & B so I cannot comment on the evening meal although we heard a pianst playing the baby grand during dinner, very nice too. Breakfast could only be descibed as average i.e. not bad at all but nothing special. The best feature of the hotel was the very accommodating and friendly staff.
More attention to detail regarding room service would have been good. Had to ask for towels, tea bags and milk. Would certainly recommend.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank YorkshireCatnip

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Polish first
Sherborne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2012

The price was reasonable and the location overlooking the sea is good. This traditional hotel has a certain charm. Nothing really stands out about it, but then again I've no major quibbles. My single room was a bit pokey, but the price was right.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
knebworth
Reviewed 7 May 2012

We previously stayed at this hotel quite some time ago, and had been discouraged from paying a return visit by negative comments on this site. However, our fears were unfounded. The hotel is charming and traditional, with exceptionally helpful and friendly staff. We had a lovely room with a sea view, comfy chairs and a lovely big bed. I do not eat dairy products and the restaurant staff, and particularly the restaurant manager, were always ready to check ingredients, amalgamate different dishes, and ensure that my requirements were fulfilled. Thanks to everyone for a delightful stay, can't wait to go back.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank carolknebworth
uk
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Spent one night here while on a work trip. Having read some comments here about noise from the road, I asked to have my room changed to one at the back, which the receptionist did without fuss. Decent sized single room, nice view over the gardens at the back. Our party enjoyed the fact that the hotel hadn't been converted to uniform bland furnishings and decor, and sat in the lounge exchanging anecdotes from Upstairs Downstairs! Location was good - 1 minute away from the esplanade at the top of the cliff, 2 minutes from a zig zag path down to the beach. Meant I was able to get a quick fix of sea in amongst my meetings. A good place to stay unless you want a uniform corporate facility that could be anywhere in the world.

Room Tip: If you're worried about road noise ask for a room at the back. Some travellers have mentioned no...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Chatham kent
Reviewed 27 February 2012

We stayed in this hotel on an overnight b&b with evening meal @ £124 per couple. We paid for an upgrade to a superior room.Lovely comfortable bed and clean linen.Towels were bath sheet size but hard and flat, why can't hotels have nice fluffy ones. Having asked for a quite room was given a room overlooking the car park and road, it was room 119 nice but right opposite our room was the local wine bar and car park and was kept awake until very late.
The evening meal was really nice with silver service great waiter very attentive. Nice breakfast plenty to eat. When we checked out mentioned about room and noise,to desk but she said sorry but not really worried.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MAUREEN W
West Yorkshire, England
Reviewed 29 January 2012

Normally stay in the very good Premier Inn in Folkestone, but this had been booked for me as it was close to a function I was visiting.
First impressions were not good- both myself and my colleagues all commented on the odor- the title of this review is a direct quote from one of my colleagues when describing this hotel to me. It sort of smelt like musty school dinners.
My room, at the front, on the third floor was poor. I was glad I was only spending a few hours there. It was like being transported back to my university bed sit in 1989 but with a worse smell. The carpet was tired and grubby looking, the furniture was chipped and looked ready for the skip, the bathroom, whilst reasonably clean, had really old tiles that should have been pulled off fifteen years ago. There was some shower gel provided in 'Best Western' bottles, and a polite sign saying if I wanted to take it home I could pay £10 for it at reception. Yeah, right.
The TV was about 18 inches and a square old fashioned TV on a TV and video stand (sans video) in the corner- I have not used one of these for years and it says something when you can buy a flat panel from Asda for £50 now that this hotel cannot even spend that on upgrading its TVs. Mine would not switch on from the remote, and most channels did not seem to work. I got BBC News though.
The shabby and grubby look extended throughout the hotel- the corridors are dark and dingy, I noticed wall light fittings with their tops missing as you come down the stairs, bar chairs worn out etc.
In the morning I skipped my included breakfast in the hotel as I did not fancy eating breakfast in a hotel that was so tired and had such a smell about it, and went to Starbucks in Folkestone centre instead.
The only saving grace were the Eastern European staff who were pleasant/ helpful and thus lifted my review above the 1 star. The location is next to the front and I had a sea view if I looked to the right out of the window.
Overall, following this stay, if I see anything with the Best Western name on it, I'll avoid it- some of them are quite nice having stopped in some before (and in the US), but I would be very worried if I were an investor in this company in that it allows hotels like this to brandish its brand and I have no trust in the brand at all now.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Wakeywarrior

Travellers are raving about these Folkestone hotels

Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 January 2012

My Great Aunt lives close to the Clifton Hotel so I've stayed here a few times now, both on my own and with my sister or husband. The hotel is old so has 'character', unlike some soulless modern 'motel-like' hotels. I have not had a bad visit yet, and this time was exceptionally good.
My husband has MS and has limited mobility so I'd booked a room close to the lift and with a walk-in shower - superior room 120 was perfect, large, right next to the lift, newly re-furbished with a large bathroom, and a seaview. Usually I ask for a room overlooking the gardens at the back, but although this was facing the front/side it was well glazed and there was very little road/late night noise.
The staff as always were very helpful and friendly, and the breakfasts were wonderful - cooked to order and piping hot, and really were a 'full' english (Bacon, sausage, egg, beans, tomato, mushrooms, hash brown and fried bread!). We also ate in one night and brought my Aunt - and the food was just as good as local Italian restaurant the night before - and half the price (and yes, we were eating from the A La Carte).
Overall I like the Clifton. Yes it's old, but it's in keeping with the town and the area and it has 'character', and if you have any particular requirements I've always found the staff very helpful, especially if you let them know in advance.
I will be staying again on my next visit.

Room Tip: For anyone with limited mobility Room 120 is excellent.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple