“An hotel beside the sea”

Best Western Clifton Hotel
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Folkestone
Durham, United Kingdom
“An hotel beside the sea”
Reviewed 27 November 2012

Despite being a dark and dismal late November evening. the hotel was easy to find, about 10 minutes walk from the railway station. I arrived at the hotel, at 22:10, three hours late, due to signalling problems on the railway. I was greeted at the reception desk with sincere concern about the lateness of my arrival. At both check-in and check-out the hotel clerk was friendly and efficient. Whilst tidy and clean, both the hotel and the room I was allocated, in their old-fashioned way, were a delight. I felt like a character in a late 1940s British movie. My single, en-suite room (230) was squirrelled away on the second floor. I made myself a hot-drink, and while running a bath, checked my e-mail using the hotel's free wifi (not so 1940s). The night was very peaceful, and I woke in the morning to find the room overlooked a large private gardens. I did not have breakfast. The rate I paid was good, and represented good value for money. I should happily return.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank PeterHughes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Polish first
Orange, Australia
Reviewed 29 October 2012

My wife & I stayed in one of the front rooms overlooking the Channel. GREAT. Large & comfortable. Value & location are good but be aware of the parking restrictions.
Staff were helpful especially Justin (?) who assisted with bags, heaters etc. Breakfast was nice.

Room Tip: Ask for a front room, great view to France
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2012

We booked a night here just the day before after a problem with another booking. The room was spacious and bright. the views were lovely. There were the usual facilities in the room. The teatray had cups and saucers and a teapot which was nice but only 4 little milk pots. Any extras had to be paid for. We were tired when we arrived so decided to order room service fo our meal. it arrived speedily and was very tasty. The room was cold but we were quickly given a heater. Next day we went into the restaurant for breakfast. the was a choice of juices and grapefruit,prunes and cereals. wethen had a full enlish,toast and coffee. It was quite expensive if you paid seperatley £10 but ours was in the room rate. We shall use this hotel again in the future.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 3 October 2012

Visited England for the first time with my husband. Good location, easy walking to everywhere.
Staff, particularly the in the dining room were very friendly. Ate breakfast and 1 dinner in the lounge, a bit pricey for breakfast but that is England!
Rooms are a little dated but very clean which is most important.
Would stay again on our next visit to Folkestone.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back of the building overlooking the park.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Folkestone
Reviewed 30 September 2012

We recently went here for a family Sunday meal, there were 15 of us in total 8 adults and 7 children. The staff were all very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. The food was lovely and we all enjoyed every minute. It will be a family meal to remember and we would definitely visit again and recommend.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 18 September 2012 via mobile

Lovely period hotel on the outside, well situated, and not too difficult to find a parking spot close by. The public rooms are elegant but the bar area smells a bit musty, and my husband started sneezing after sitting in there for 10 minutes, so I suspect there is mould in there somewhere. Our room was a bit dated, particularly the bathroom, but was clean and had everything we expected. We had a front room, with a glimpse of ocean. There was a bit of noise from the pub across the road on Saturday night, but it was bearable. However, there was a light outside our window somewhere that came on intermittently and that kept waking me up, as well as the creaking floors above and outside our room. The phone in our room rang at 2:30am but there was no one there when I answered it. Don't stay here if you are a light sleeper. The staff were ok - not overly friendly but not rude. Breakfast was ok - not terrible but nothing to rave about. A fairly average hotel all round which is not trying very hard.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2012

I stayed in the Best Western,when I went to visit my husband while he was working in France but staying in Folkestone.It was a lovely hotel,with lovely rooms,a bit oldy worldly but very comfortable.The staff were always pleasant and couldn't do enough for you and the food was superb,If visiting Folkestone,i would without a doubt definately stay at the Best Western again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple