“Quick Stop Over in Folkestone”

Best Western Clifton Hotel
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Folkestone
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I wenrt with friends to visit another old friend. After enjoying a pleasant evening in Folkestone we went to the hotel. The late night porter welcomed us and was very attentive. The single room was functional and very comfortable. The Wi fi was very efficient and the breakfast very nice. Overall with the location and price this was an excellent choice of hotel to stay for the night.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the English Channel have good views and mine was quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 27 January 2014

I chose the hotel for it's location, close to the centre of town and on the sea front. When I called to enquire about availability, I spoke with a very obliging and polite man called Christa.

The outside of the hotel, despite being weather beaten by the sea air is in need of tidying up. The entrance to the hotel and the surrounding patio area were in need of a good sweep and wash. A number of the plant pots had no plants in them or dead plants and made the general appearance shoddy. Not a good first impression.

Christa welcomed me on my arrival and was very polite and obliging. I asked for a number of requirements and Christa was only too happy to meet my requests. I was shown to the room to see if it was suitable, which it was. The room, 225 was large and overlooked the garden. It was a comfortable bed and the furnishing, although slightly dated, quirky in some ways, was more than adequate and the two arm chairs were appreciated. The room was a little cold and I asked reception for a heater which was brought to my room whilst I was out and switched on, which was appreciated. I also asked for some toiletries and a light bulb which were both delivered promptly.

I found all the staff most helpful and Christa and Oscar in the bar were particularly helpful and friendly. Both are a credit to the hotel.

I found breakfast disappointing on both mornings. The selection of produce was minimal on the first morning with only five cereals and three juices. This was more depleted on the second morning with only four cereals and two juices. There were no bakery products or fresh or tinned fruit except prunes on either morning. The bread used for toast was medium cut and not particularly well toasted.

The cooked breakfast was unappetising and not particularly well presented. The sausage was of an inferior quality and on the second morning I returned my cooked breakfast as the scrambled egg was not at all appetising. The plate returned a few minutes later but the quality was not significantly improved. On the second morning there were staff in the breakfast room and I waited several minutes before a waiter appeared. The breakfast experience was disappointing on both mornings and in my opinion lets the overall service at the hotel down.

I stayed at this hotel through convenience and it being part of Best Western. I would urge the hotel to look at the quality of breakfast service and products. I look forward to returning and hope that some attention is paid to the quality and variety of the products offered for breakfast.

On my departure my comments were well received and apologies made where appropriate.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Staying at the Best Western Clifton hotel was a delight. My room was huge and I especially enjoyed the huge bow window which let me guess , behind, the trees, the Sea.
The hotel was very clean, and calm. Comfy bed, tea, comfy carpets on the floor. I 've always loved "old fashioned "hotel like this, it changes from the whole modern/design/white and cold hotels.
The Staff ? so lovely and helpful.
I wish i could have stayed longer. i'll certainly come back next summer.

Room Tip: Enjoy the hotel's bar where you 'll be able to chat with the charming bartender while drink...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank elektra74751
Reviewed 26 December 2013

value for money hotel. Great position, easy access to euro tunnel and town centre. Plenty of choice of restaurants if you do not want to use hotel restaurant. will definitely stay here again. Also the fact it takes dogs is a bonus.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
Reviewed 10 December 2013

We arrived Friday night looking forward to our weekend in the hotel. We were last here two years ago. Nothing has changed except the price of the food. The room was as previously well kept and cleaned for us all supplies of tea and coffee replenished as required bathroom cleaned immaculately. However the disappointment came in the restaurant. The last time we were there we had a lovely 4 course meal for £15. This time the same meal had gone up to £19-50. No matter we thought having driven 4 hours to reach the hotel and rather than go out we decided to stay in the hotel and eat. Usual starter prawns, followed by champagne sorbet to be followed by baked cod sauteed potatoes and seasonal veg. The cod arrived looked very nice sauteed potatoes, What!!!! 2 soggy hash browns sat in the water from the veg. Incredible, we completed our meal in disgust but to add insult to injury we were then invited to the lounge for coffee as they wanted to prepare the dining room for breakfast the waiter was very polite in his manner of inviting us to the lounge. The coffee at best was lukewarm and had been stewing by the look of things most of the evening. Finished our coffee and went to the room. Needless to say we didn't bother the next night with food and ate before returning to the hotel.
We won't be back as previous people have stated the hotel is dated but to some degree this adds to it's originality however if your not going to do anything in it then prices need to remain accordingly. All in all we were very disappointed as we had looked forward to our weekend.
Unlike ArnieWe won't be back.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Migster56
Reviewed 8 December 2013

I,ve lost count on how many times we have stayed here. It's clean , yes dated but that just goes with the age of the hotel, but always clean. The staff are pleasant and helpful one member of staff who was so helpful and always cheerful is Oscar a credit to the hotel. We,ve already booked our next break here. Our room was gorgeous we always have the same room which is spacious clean and very comfortable. A brilliant break !!!!

Room Tip: Room 108 best in the hotel
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 November 2013

My husband and I stayed in this hotel recently in order to attend the theatre. This is an extremely old and traditional hotel with many period features, it is clean although the decor and furnishings are somewhat dated. Our room was a standard double but due to old style heating was cold at night the heating was on a timer system. The bed was comfortable, clean and warm but the bathroom rather tired as was the rest of the furnishings.

Breakfast was pretty average with room for improvement. However the staff were extremely warm, welcoming and friendly which made up for anything the hotel lacked.

Even with our comments above we would stay there again as the overall value for a short stay was good.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple