“Lovely stay”

Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Folkestone
Meopham, United Kingdom
“Lovely stay”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We got a deal with Amazon for 2 nights with breakfast and an evening meal. We went with another couple. I wasn't expecting much, but the meal and the service in the restaurant was excellent. I had fish and it just melted in my mouth.

The room is small and compact and the bed was a double only. We are use to a King size.
The room was clean and freshly decorated and had tea & coffee and a flat screened TV.

We spent the say in Rye and got a cab to the Rocksalt Restaurant in the evening.

Great weekend.

Room Tip: If you want a bigger room, get an upgrade
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Burlgm, General Manager at Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Dear Guests,
Thank you for leaving a review. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Burlington and your compliments have been passed to our Head Chef and his team.
I hope to welcome you again in the future. Yours sincerely

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
Hastings, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2014

We stayed beginning of may as my friends and I were attending a wedding nearby. So we booked a triple room.

I was blown away with the size of the room! 3 women getting ready I expected A squash but we got ready in comfort and enjoyed some pink bubbly on room service and enjoyed the views of the pretty gardens.

We went out and enjoyed yourself knowing we had a big comfortable and clean room to come back to. On arrival which was very late the chap on the night reception was so friendly and happily made Us delicious doorstep sandwiches and crunch crisps.

We woke refreshed and enjoyed a full English breakfast in the decedent dining room and the staff were e,extremely attentive

Thoroughly recommended and look forward to commuting again as its the place to stay in folkestone

Thank you for a lovely stay - was meant to be for convenience but felt.like a real treat!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank annabotty
Dear Guests,
Thank you for your kind review and great to hear that you had a fantastic time with us. I hope to see you again at the Burlington on your next visit to Folkestone. Yours sincerely
Swieqi, Malta
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Stayed 3 nights B&B from 14th May. On arrival we were welcomed warmly by the staff at reception who were friendly & helpful & we were pleasantly surprised to find we had been upgraded to a Superior room. Room 104 was amazingly large with 2 bay windows overlooking the garden thus lovely & quiet. There was a very good choice for breakfast with the staff being very attentive. We visit Folkestone on a regular basis but this is the first time we have stayed at the Burlington; it will definately not be the last.

Room Tip: Choose a Superior room on a lower floor
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DavidL-Ingliz
Dear Guests,
Many thanks for your review. I would definitely recommend to upgrade to one of our superior rooms whenever possible, for a larger, more spacious room. Another 4 superior rooms with sea views have just been refurbished to very high standards and more rooms are currently being refurbished. I look forward to welcoming you again at the Burlington. Yours sincerely
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We were on a special 2 nights and one dinner voucher so we hadn't set a huge expectation about the hotel. We were able to park in the forecourt when we arrived but as there was a wedding on the Saturday night we had to park about 400 yards away when we came back from a day out. lesson learned!

The hotel has lost some of the grandeur it would have once had which is a shame. But the quirky corridors and nooks and cranies add to the character and our room way up under theaves on the 3rd floor added to the fun of the stay.

We nearly expired from heat on the first night being unable to change the thermostat on the radiator but this was attended to by the hotel and the second night was far more comfortable.

We had two breakfasts and an evening meal in the price. Service was a bit slow and the staff looked to be only just getting to grips of their summer job - the head waiter understood what he was about and did what he could to help this along. The food was always fresh and hot when it arrived at the table which is rare these days. Yes a basement restaurant overlooking a rather forgotten courtyard seems a waste and a bit odd. Some weeding and clever lighting would help that no end.

The room and small ensuite was clean as was the rest of the hotel.

I doubt we'll ever go back - it wasn't that kind of weekend but the staff were always polite.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guests,
Thank you for leaving a review and glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Your fair comment about the lower patio that needs attention has been noted as this can be improved. i hope to see you again at the Burlington. Yours sincerely.
Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

On arrival, the hotel looks very grand. It's when you get closer up however, it is actually pretty rough around the edges. Once we stepped inside however it was very nice. We were greeted by a young lady on the front desk and she was extremely polite and told us everything we needed to know. We stayed in room 354, which was on the top floor, and luckily a long way from the noisy elevator. Room 354 is clearly one of the recently refurbished rooms, it was very clean and the tv and shower were excellent. The only let down was the bed was awful. The mattresses are extremely thin, and my side had collapsed completely, I could touch the bed rungs when I sat on it, my other half's side however was fine. It made for very long uncomfortable nights. If I was there for any longer than the two days I had booked, I would of requested another room. My back upon returning home ached very much.

The breakfast was a buffet and was very nice, and yes the beans were hot too! :) So all good there. We never ate in the evenings at the hotel so can't comment there.

On checking out we stumbled upon the manager having a go at one of the hotel cleaners in the main foyer. She was not being spoken to nicely at all, and I felt very sorry for her having guests watching the manager speaking to her like that. Very unprofessional.

Overall, a nice clean hotel, good breakfast and good location. I would however probably not return unless they did something about the beds.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Neillucia
Dear guests,
Thank you for leaving a review and constructive criticism. Your comments have been passed to our housekeeping team to be addressed without delay and all beds are being checked for replacement wherever needed. I value your comments and we do our upmost to correct and improve wherever possible. I look forward to welcoming you again in the future. Yours sincerely
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Stayed for 2 nights b/b May 2014. Dislikes: The staff need a lot of training I did not see one of them smile or say please or thank you. The man serving behind the bar insisted on calling me Mate instead of sir I think he must have been working on a building site before taking this job. The restaurant is in the basement and is very dark and dingy. The first morning I went down to breakfast which was supposed to start at 7-30 I was told the Chef arrived late and breakfast would be 8-00, the very young manager did not apologise for the delay or say sorry. The second morning breakfast was on time, but there was no greeting from the manager or staff ie; Good morning sir. When I arrived back home I had 2 emails from the hotel telling me that my American Express card had been refused, even though I dont have one and in any case paid for everything in cash. When I phoned to enquire about this all I got was, "It was a mistake" no sorry. I had dinner both evenings in The Grand Hotel a few yards away which was not only cheaper but served in a nice bright restaurant with a sea view. The bed was hard. Likes: The room was very clean as was the bathroom. Breakfast on both days was very nice. Its a shame really as the hotel is a beautiful old Victorian building which is quite clean all round, but is badly let down by the staff who obviously need a lot more training.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Peter J
Burlgm, General Manager at Burlington Hotel, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. I appreciate your constructive criticism and value your comments. I would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused and can assure you that this has been brought to the attention of our team to be addressed. Should you plan to return to Folkestone, I would like to offer you a complimentary upgrade to one of our superior rooms (subject to availabilty - please quote this review at time of booking). Yours sincerely
Hastings, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Visited Burlington Hotel on Saturday 3rd May with two friends from Saga, we had a lovely stay, although far too short could have done with at least another night. The hotel was clean, comfortable and the breakfast was one of the best breakfasts I have had in a long time. Definitely worth a visit!

Carole L

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guests,
Many thanks for leaving a review. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you again in the future. Yours sincerely
Also consider these accommodations in or near Folkestone
Grand Burstin Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Folkestone Channel Tunnel
Eastwell Manor
Eastwell Manor
#1 of 1 in Boughton Lees

Been to Burlington Hotel? Share your experiences!