“Don't believe the bad reviews”

Grand Burstin Hotel
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Folkestone
droylsden
“Don't believe the bad reviews”
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Stayed at the Burstin for 3 nights on National coach break. I was worried about the negative reviews, but on reading some I realised they were either not specific to the quality of the hotel or unrealistic. The room on the 4th floor was clean and comfortable, White duvets and plump pillows. The room had good solid Art Decco furniture. The bathroom was old fashioned but very functional.The dining room was large and had basic canteen furniture which some might found offputting. But we found the food was varied and well cooked. You would have to be a very fussy eater to not find something to enjoy. Because of large coach parties arriving for the evening meal there was a queue on the first night but it was quickly dealt with. I would say a maximum of 10 mins wait. I would certainly go again. Excellent value for money. Thank you to the staff, who work very hard especially in the dining room.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank jenniferDroylsden

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,275)
Camshami
Reviewed 2 April 2012

We were booked into this dreadful place as part of our booking for Disney Paris byThomas Cook.
Upon arrival the outside of hotel is a total dump and in a run down area of Folkestone.
We collected our key from the reception and went to the 12 floor with our 8 year old son to find our room was shabby and just had 1 double bed for the 3 of us. The hallways were dirty as was the lobby of the hotel and we were not prepared to stay 1 night,

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Camshami

Travellers are raving about these Folkestone hotels

Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2012

before i left i checked reviews which some were very worrying to say the least ,but when we arrived after a very long journey,the staff stayed on and we had our evening meal,about 8.30 pm, ok the room was basic but clean and comfortablei with a view of the harbour,the bed was comfortable.the dining area was huge it reminded me of a school dinner hall,but with 10 coaches in it coped very well although i would have preferred table service .the enterainment was really first class with two singers and three dancers,there was a different theme every night,so they need to be congratulated,all i could say is thank you, and to the critics what were you expecting? a five star hotel for ur money at least i was very happy with my stay thank you

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank jockforbes
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2012

this is a large hotel in folkestone kent ,our room was on the first floor with a seaview the room was comfortable and clean with clean towles everyday over our five day stay the buffet breakfast was very good as was the the evening buffet,the hotel could do with a make over in places,but 99% of the staff were very helpful,folkestone has a good town centre but the sea front is a bit run down ther is also a small cinema in the town centre that is woth a visit,also the hotel had very good entertainment

Room Tip: seaview if possible try not to get one of the rooms at the back of the hotel
2 Thank frankd95
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I would just like to let anyone thinking of booking a room at Hotel Burstin, Folkstone, that it appears that when you book a room you are not actually booking a room. Let me explain.
I booked two rooms through Laterooms.com, weeks before I was due to arrive, the booking was taken along with the payment, it was fully paid and with this explanation 'Your reservation for the The Grand Burstin Hotel in Folkestone is an advance purchase rate and a credit card is required to charge full pre-payment at the time of booking. This is non refundable and non transferable'.
Just four days before we were due to arrive I had a phone message saying there was a problem with the booking. I called the hotel direct and was told that the hotel had been told to take two coach loads by central reservations and this had made them double booked. They said I could take a room at the Hotel Salisbury but on checking that out discovered that it was far inferior to the Hotel Burstin'. I rang back to say I was not willing to accept the room and was told that someone would contact me on the wednesday. I was called by a duty manager by the name of Emma Roberts who was unbelievably unsympathetic and told me that I would have to take what was offered or the money back. I explained I had a contract with the hotel which it should honour, again she said I can take the other hotel or the money back. I stressed that I was unhappy with the hotel under offer and wished to stay at the Hotel Burstin. She said that would not be happening and that 'WHEN I MADE A BOOKING WITH BRITANNIA HOTELS THEY DID NOT ACTUALLY BOOK ME INTO A ROOM BUT JUST TOOK A BOOKING.' A statement I find very concerning. If the money is taken at the time of booking as in this case surely that should constitute a booking for a room. When I pointed out to her that I was stunned at this revelation and asked her to repeat it, she said she had done all she was prepared to do and was ending the conversation. When I asked her if she was about to put the phone down on me she said yes and did so.

In the past I have been double booked by a hotel who found us a more than satisfactory alternative which I was happy to take. But in this case it was just not acceptable and to be told a room I had paid for was not actually a booking for a room is just not acceptable.

Please bear this in mind when booking with Britannia Hotels

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank David H
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Well what can i say for £99 per head with 3 course breakfast and 3 course evening meal and a bar for 99p from 7.30 till 11.30 . All trips to cantebury and belguim included in the price and live entertainment every night .Reall y what do ppl expect ... We arrived at 5pm journey on coach was ok comfortable seats and regular stops driver played comedien tapes on journey ... room was on 5th floor clean and comfty clean towels daily and beds made and tea and coffee in room replenished daily ... working tv even if old you still see the same channels even if it was a plazma. Breakfast cornflakes youghurts fruit toast sausage eggs bacon mushroom black pudding beans tomatoes tea coffee unltd.... evening meal soup roll cold meats salads all veggies potatoes chips and hot meat of the day deserts fruit ....we were located at back of hotel a night club is opp open wednesday fri and sat .... and you can only hear it if window is left open all night .. location right on haubour which dose get busy on wknds with locals fish and chip shops steak house local newsagents all at hand..... really enjoyed our stay at the end of the day it was my husbands birthday and for 99 pounds each we could not fault it went wth a open mind and had fun wth trips to canterbury and ferry to bruges in belguim all included we would spend more in 4 days at ome eating out and on trips .....and ciggerettes on ferry 3.69 for 20 and they allow u to buy 40 at one time so we came home wth quite a few 100 each as you just join the q again for another 40.. tabacco in belguim is 45 euro 10 pkts so there was a lot of ppl bringing what they could home .. weather was glourios to 20 degrees for march bounus overall great break bargin price what do pplreally expect have fun like we did xx

Room Tip: Back rooms are very hot due to sun on building ... nite club is at back of hotel but if window is cl...
2 Thank ericahigginsbutler
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2012

The hotel was clean and our Premier room,booked on line via Lastminute., was good value at £30 for 2 including breakfast. The bed was comfy and it had everything you needed - well almost - see "Connected" later. Unfortunately we could not have breakfast as we were told the buffet did not start until 7am and we had to leave then to catch the ferry. (We were a little miffed, to say the least, that the dining room was full of people eating when we left at 6.50!)
Connected. The TV remote was not connected to the actual TV - no great problem. Our room overlokked the harbour - nice until the Diasco down the road started. We were connected to the sound until 2.30 in the morning - the double glazing providing very little noise blocking. We were also connected to the outside street lighting as the curtains were almost translucent. We were also connected to next doors and upstairs plumbing!!
For all this, we would stay again.

1 Thank PARIS522