Grand Burstin Hotel
  • Restaurant
Sandgate Hotel(Sandgate)
US$95
  • Beachfront
Best Western Plus Burlington Hotel(Folkestone)(Great Value!)
US$117
US$132
Travelocity
  • Free Internet
3,952 results
All reviewsevening entertainmentoverlooking the harbourbar pricesbad reviewsexcellent value for moneybit datedcanterbury
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 September 2013

we stayed a couple of months back,if i had been booking a coach holiday and read reviews i would not have booked here,i didn't book the holiday and was very worried what might happen, i took precaution of making sure to NOT get a room on 7th floor as reviews consistantly mentioned smell of smokers,we did go up to that floor and there was a smell of smoke in the corridors, we got room 221 on first floor which was a very room,nice size,furniture not modern but TOTALLY acceptable and useable...
Someone complained in a review that that as you walk in the foyer there is a table with bottles of hand wash and this told a bad story,well we was cancelled off a holiday 6 months ago when there was the Noris virus circleing a lot of hotels,was a Shearings booking at time,so i think having hand wash as you walk into a hotel is a clever idea,after all viruses are passed my touch and when you have a thousand people touching many places during a day then a lot of germs are passing...
I was dubious about using the restaurant/canteen but on checking the Victorian one where you paid £5 a day and seeing the menu was the SAME but with a table cloth we tried the free one out,yes the tables and chairs are basic,and a lot wobble but they are cleaned as soon as you leave them,there was two huge tables with a self service menu with half a dozen choices of main course,starters,puddings,tea and coffee,we ate early,middle and late and always there was plenty to chose from,when we went on one occasion it was very busy and 6 deep queue to get in,staff held you till tables came free and either took you to it or if near showed you it,we asked for a two person table,was shown a 4 seater and at no time did they send anyone else to join us...yes it did have a canteen appearance but people on coach holidays are usually civilised people with talk as opposed to shouting,of all the coach holidays ive been on this was the best food ive had...The lift where not however good as people spoke of them not stopping at their floor or the doors shutting on them,i saw engineers every day working on them at times which sort of gave impression they where not stable but we was observant and had no trouble...
The hotel overlooks the harbour which while nothing seems to come and go is still a pleasant place to look out at especially if you hace a front facing room,a few levels appear to have balcanies which is really nice i bet...the staff where all polite and well mannered,as normal with all the other coach holidays ive had the hotel is a bit dated,but as clean as it can be when the maids have 650 rooms to daily clean as well as the rest of hotel...we paid £128 each ,4 nights bed,breakfast and evening meals,comfy coach travel from doncaster,day trip to Calais,day trip to canterbury...Fokestone is bare on entertainment and really run down but i would happily go back soon as cheaper then staying at home to eat as well as that and have someone cook it for me...
Having used Trip Advisor for several years i came to the conclusion years ago that the majority of the bad reviews come from people who are used to staying in more modern or hotel chains which are considerably dearer then coach holiday hotels,i read peoples reviews and regualr coach travelers generally say good things as they appreciate how cheap a coach holiday is and why it is,the poor reviews come from people who book as a one off and instead of the usual hotel or hotel chain such as Travelodge or similar find themselves in a coach holiday chain style hotel and its a bad shock to the system...you cant get a caravan holiday for less then £350 when we went so £128 with travel,food and trips included is like christmas 5 days running.plus free use of Spa which had a very nice pool which was an extra bonus...if you buy a cheap car dont expect the comfort of a Rolls,if you get it then its a bonus and be extra happy

Room Tip: avoid the 7th floor
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank keithhazel13
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I've stayed here 3 times with my partner and we love it, I work in the movie buisness and have stayed at some very up market hotels around the globe, this is not like any hotel I've been to before, it's very old fashioned but that's what gives it it's charm, the rooms are spacious and comfortable, the views are fantastic but there is something special here, something special indeed! it makes you happy, it's an old-ish hotel and brings back a feeling of nostalgia which makes no sense as I'm only 25 and have never been to Folkestone before may 2013! Ignore the bad reviews on here, these people can't see the magic the Grand Burstin has, ok it's a bit dated but my god does it have that special quality. I will be back! And it's one of the last places to still allow smoking in some allocated rooms, you only get that at hotels where the rich and famous reside! Us creative types love a cigarette with a glass of brandy looking out to sea ;) wonderful magical superb!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank MsTurner25
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I have stayed at the Grand Burstin many times. I have family and friends who live near by so find this an ideal hotel to stay at for location.

The food is 4/5.

Last time I had stayed I was made aware there was free WiFi however i was unable to get connected unless i went to the lobby.

One complaint I would have is even though the rooms are non smoking I could still smell where people had been smoking in their rooms. Not nice.

Over all a decent hotel for a cheap break away.

One pointer if you take the lift it can be very busy when bus tours come in. I usually request a room no higher than 3rd floor as usually had to walk it as would be waiting 10 minutes for each lift.

Room Tip: There is sea view rooms and also rooms with balconys.. you could request one of these but you will be usually placed higher up the hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank PrincessCindy365
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Having read all the bad reviews before taking a week's holiday in early September with coach holidays dot com we wondered what we were in for - then realised that the worst reviews were mostly from a few years back.
Don't get me wrong this is not the Ritz, but if you want value for money then this is the place you are looking for. We stayed in room 737 with a view across the harbour and a small sandy beach. Ours was a smoking room but I can honestly say I didn't notice any smell of nicotine. Perhaps this was due to the fact the windows were open when we arrived and we always had them open while we were out during the day.
PROS: Our Premier room had plenty of space with a large wardrobe, two cupboards, two drawers and two chairs to relax in. The staff were all very friendly and helpful - even got assistance when the WiFi connection stopped working on my iPOD. There's entertainment and live music every evening. If you like sequence or ballroom dancing there's plenty of opportunity to stretch you legs early on - nothing is organised, but both the 'background' and live music is entirely suitable as is the floor. Also, Bingo lovers will like it here as there's several games played during the evening.
CONS The lifts are a bit confusing as some lifts only go to certain floors. The choice on the main restaurant menu is a little limited but adequate - not sure quite why other people have complained that it's cold, I found it was hot enough. The walls separating the rooms are thin and we did hear some snoring from next door - but we also took ear plugs and used them to get a good nights sleep. The harbour view was a little spoilt as the channel crossing facilities closed some time back and are all run down - not the hotel's fault.
OVERALL You always get what you pay for, but this rates highly on my list of good value for money.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Paul M
Reviewed 7 September 2013

we booked the burstin for seven nights bed and breakfast as our usual hotel the portland was full,we did this in spite of the terrible reports on trip advisor as it was in the area we required, what a pleasant surprise, we were on the ninth floor with a sea view over sandgate and a balcony, we have to admit on entering the room there was a faint stale smell of smoke, however on opening the patio doors this soon dissapeared, the room was spotless the bed linen sparkling white, the shower worked perfectly and we had clean white towels every day, on arrival we were welcomed by Joey and he seemed very pleased to greet us and proved a great help during our stay, as were all the staff..the breakfast buffet style was what you would expect in a large hotel but was more than adequate, the evening entertainment was very enjoyable. the fire alarm went off twice during our stay but the hotel is not to blame for this, as guests persist in smoking on NON SMOKING ROOMS. we have to say we really enjoyed our stay and all the staff from reception to the cleaners could not have been more welcoming. perhaps we were lucky who knows? perhaps if we visit again we could be like many others and find lots to complain about but I feel it is worth a chance

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple