“give it a try”

Grand Burstin Hotel
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Folkestone
Reviewed 30 November 2013

We have just come back after a four night stay with a coach holiday.
We read the reviews and wondered what we were going to arrive to at the Grand Burstin .In all honesty we would say just try it for yourselves before making a judgement.
Yes the hotel is very very dated and needs a complete refurb but to us we didn't expect any different really.Our room on the second floor was large and comfortable but really gloomy.There was mildew around the bath and stains on ceiling and a shower unit that was unusable.However we honestly believe that all this was down old age and not poor cleaning.The bedding was perfectly clean as were the towels and we had a good nights sleep each night apart from the fire alarm going off one night.It was a false alarm.We would stay here again if we are down in Folkestone but would possibly up grade to a better room if we could.I am sure that staff would do their best to put things right if they can but they do need to be told if there is a problem otherwise they cant do anything to put it right.
The entertainment each night was good and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. Us oldies know how to do that and even managed to win a couple of games of bingo.
The food was good aswell with plenty of it.No it wasn't top class resteraunt quality which we didn't expect but to be fair we wouldn't complain about the choice of what we could have.
Don't come to the Grand Burstin if you think you are coming to a top class hotel.Just accept it for what it is and enjoy yourself.

Room Tip: possibly look for an up grade
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank carol s

Reviewed 26 November 2013

We stayed here for two nights. The room was on the fifth floor which as a wheelchair user is a worry if the fire alarm goes off, which of course it did! Staff were friendly polite and very jolly. How could you not be jolly in a hotel filled with OAPs having fun.
The bathroom was too small to get into with my chair, ok for two nights but I guess I would have started to smell if we had stayed longer.

I probably wouldn't stay there again although combined with a £23 return on the tunnel it was very cheap at £24 a night!

Room Tip: Apparently they are all the same but it might be quieter at the back
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 November 2013

First let me say I am well aware of the prices of these coach trips, they are low and hotels are for the most part not the best, and I am OK with that. I have been on a few coach trips but I have to say the Grand Burstin has to be the worst hotel I have ever been in, as far as cleanliness and health checks are concerned. The mould in the bathroom was absolutely disgusting. Would the owners have this in their own bathroom? No! I don't think so. When we
first got into the room the kettle was full of water, I looked inside........Mmmm this water has been there for a few weeks, so no tea at night. The carpet was filthy, so had to keep my shoes on all the time. The handle to flush the toilet was broken, I fixed that myself. The shower to switch from shower to bath was also broken, fixed that myself. The taps were all corroded. There was blue tac stuck to the ceiling, which I may add was water stained and scratched. The towels on the first day were white but as the week went on they got greyer and greyer. Since when do you allow guests smoking in the rooms.....place was stinking of smoke. They DO smoke in rooms. Let's talk about the food..............WOW not good at all. Not everyone likes their food swimming the gravy. Not to mention we saw Turkey for 3 days.
Now as a result of this filthy hotel my husbands asthma is twice as bad as when he first got there, at night he literally could not breath because of the state of the room, mould and dirty carpets? Not good.
Since this hotel was included in the Caledonian coach trip I sent an e-mail to Caledonian to invite them to take a good look on trip advisor where you will see pictures the previous guest have taken. I asked them if they would you stay in this hovel? Perhaps someone from Caledonian should go and stay at the hotel and give it a true valuation, and decide not to use this Hotel in future. If I thought that Health and Safety would do something I would contact them, that is how disgusting this was.
As you can guess we will never take this tour again and would advise my friends not to do so.
Just one question - why use this hotel when it get such a bad reputation (even from locals)

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Salty1952
Reviewed 23 November 2013

For what I pay the hotel is really great value, staying there next week for 4 nights, which will be my fourth consecutive week, which says something.

Good:
Staff try hard, some are very good, food is basic but plentiful to go at and adequate choice and tasty. Rooms I've stayed in so far have all been large and decently equipped, and clean, and some have good views. Hotel is spacious, entertainment included, car parking no problem, tea and coffee on tap, and I slept well each night, beds comfortable.

Not so good:
Hotel has got a tired feel in places, some areas quite dated, some rooms could do with a re-carpet, reception area would benefit from a makeover, as if nothing else this is the first thing you see, every day is like Xmas day (it is tiresome after a while). Hotel smoke alarm system appears to be hyper active. Smoking is allowed in some of the rooms, which does mean stale tobacco aromas can filter out into the corridors making them stale.

Overall I keep going back because it represents IMHO really good value. If you want style, frills, fancy food and luxuries and refinement this isn't the place but you wont be paying the prices available at GBH. At times it feels a bit like staying in 1983 not 2013. But it is relaxing, informal and staff from what I see will do their bit to make it a pleasant stay. There is enough good about it for the very keen price to make it my chosen destination. For the price I really recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank paul p
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Our stay here was great, very friendly staff, very helpful. We upgraded to the Victorian restaurant which was great, the food was lovely, yes rooms bit dated but very clean, entertainment was pretty good, all in all very enjoyable

Room Tip: We were on second floor facing harbour , was really nice
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Sheila S
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I found this hotel very clean and comfortable, the room was spacious and the view was lovely as you looked on to the little boats in the harbour and you could see the ferries in the distance sailing to France. The main restaurant was nice and big with buffet meals which were basic. We were there early October it was quite busy with about 6or7 bus parties.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I stayed in this hotel as part of a Travelstyle coach trip, yes it's dated but I found it clean warm and a pleasant environment to sit and relax in the bar or foyer. The food was basic but plenty and the evening entertainment was good they where fun lively and a joy to see.
The only downside was the staff, they seamed overworked and unmotivated.
Excellent value for money. I'm not saying its 5* but don't think it's trying to be and the price reflects what you should expect.
THE FIRE ALARMS NEED SORTING OUT !!!!

Room Tip: Go for a higher floor I stayed in A wing I had a sea view it is at the back but I found it quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo