“A hotel that needs serious cleaning!”

Grand Burstin Hotel
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Folkestone
Reviewed 24 July 2014

This hotel is conveniently located for ferry and the tunnel to France. They 'lost' my reservation so it was lucky I had brought my confirmation. Not that anybody apologized or said sorry for loosing my reservation.
Walking to the room, which was described to me as being in the 'new' wing, you can't ignore the fact that this hotel would benefit from some serious cleaning. But maybe a complete renovation would be simpler. The lift looked like a freight lift, the carpets stank and looked absolutely disgusting. The single room, think the size of a cleaning closet, had carpets that you didn't want to walk on with shoes....
And then I haven't mentioned the most disorganized parking lot I have ever experienced.
And the breakfast in the 'canteen'? The scrambled eggs didn't even resemble anthing you would want to eat.
It might be cheap, but I would avoid this hotel at all costs. Next time I'd think I'd prefer to sleep in the car.

Room Tip: A good room? I would recommend you'd go elsewhere...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank MaximBezembinder
Write a ReviewReviews (3,884)

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Simply awful. Dirty, poorly maintained, sleazy. I could go on and on. We were booked into this "hotel" on a student tour by EF ( more about that in another review). We were horrified. No one would eat the food that was included. We were all awakened at 3 AM by a bar brawl in the the parking lot. I was so anxious to get out of there in the morning that I left behind my toiletry don't believe the good reviews.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank JLayton2014
Reviewed 23 July 2014

This hotel was a great price and ull understand why when you arrive!!! Very very outdated, very old, very discoloured, very old fashion, very disappointing.
Had room on first floor but booked double n got 2 singles, (clean bedding) had loads of birds mess on windows n what looked like dead birds right outside (our room was above entrance therefore we had roof outside window where they nested) complained but was told they are totally full so they would get beds pushed together n windows cleaned n birds removed, after 2 hrs beds were pushed together but I gave up on them cleaning the window, the birds that were dead/sleeping were gone but more came!! Seem to be lots of dogs staying at this hotel which I didn't like cos imagine a dog sleeping on your bed before you!!!
Breakfast was edible, a good choice of full English, cereals ect but a huge queue for the toaster! Very very busy so had to hunt for table but they were cleaned as soon as someone left!
Didn't eat dinner there as we chose to eat out, lovely restaurants in town which is 5 min walk, can be quite noisy at night, lots of drunks shouting outside hotel, nightclub 2 mins away.
Lovely harbour across the road with pubs, seafood, beach ect
A cheap break by the sea but don't expect 3*
All in all a bargain
If I stay again, I've noticed a carpeted stairwell which must be nicer rooms as it's in posher part of hotel n that's saying something, so I'd def stay n pay more for nicer rooms!
Didn't go down to entertainment at night but could here singers until midnight.
If your on a budget go for it :)

Room Tip: Seek more expensive rooms cos cheap isn't always good
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2014

In need of a shutdown and a complete overhaul the corridors to the rooms smell musty and the rooms no better with worn out carpets and generally run down Hotel,the food was a lot better with a Roast on the menu and plenty of variety of vegetables

Room Tip: DONT GO until its had a refurbish
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 July 2014

The walk along the corridor to our allocated room on the eighth floor was just the horrendous begining of a two night stay in this hole!
The repugnant odour of the corridor that fills your airways on the treck long forgotten room is a smell that does not leave you. My partner opened the doors to the balcony to allow some fresher air to circulate only for the ceiling tiles to crash down outside the despicable excuse of a bathroom, exposing electrical cables that hung freely in the athway to the door.

The bathroom, recently whitewashed in a pathetic attempt to hide the blistered walls, vile tiles and prison like feel left us feeling dirtier after taking a shower as taking a bath was a health hazard.

After complaining to reception, who were fake surprised and embarrassed as a large group were checking in... God only knows why, I was angry that some idiot flicked their cigarette end out of the second floor window as I waited for my partner to bring the car from under the hotel and it bounced off my shoulder.
NEVER AGAIN, BULLDOZE THE PLACE.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank rayjay73
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed there for one night. The hotel was very very old. Sofas in the lobby were stinky. The room was ugly. It was not small but the low ceiling made me feel uncomfortable The bathroom was horrid and so old, older than hotel I must say. The shower didn't work properly. To get bath mat, you needed to contact the reception! The parking was too small for size of the hotel. When we got there around 10 pm, it was already full. I will definitely never come back!

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 21 July 2014

My Husband and I stayed for one night at the Burstin Hotel, having stated no ground floor room that was what we were first given, it was changed to the Forth floor which although we stated non-smoking, the room smelt dreadful, and looked out onto a waste space covered in graffiti,we were then given another room in the BASEMENT which looked onto and area full of weeds and a view at the top again full of graffiti. Breakfast was just a walking around meal, I happen to like my tea with the milk in first , but all the pots of tea and coffee, and the cups and saucers were in one place but no milk , so had to carry my cup and saucer to my table to get milk then back again for the tea, why not put jugs of milk with the tea and coffee pots as well as on the table? the corridors were full of stacked beds and furniture and most of the carpets needed the hover put over them. I used to stay at the Burstin many years ago for dance weekends, sometime twice a year, but I am afraid the Burstin has gone down hill, certainly not to be recommended. Just Awful!

Room Tip: Have no idea if any of the rooms are good or not as each of the three rooms we were given were just...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jeanBrown2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Folkestone
Best Western Plus Burlington Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Folkestone Channel Tunnel
Ramada Dover
Ramada Dover
#1 of 1 in Whitfield

Been to Grand Burstin Hotel? Share your experiences!