“better than some of the reviews say” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Burstin Hotel

Grand Burstin Hotel
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Folkestone
“better than some of the reviews say”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

this was a last minute booking wanted to go to camber sands couldn't find any hotel (with a reasonable price) closer to camber, so decided to book this hotel for two nights. the price is reasonable for what you get. the room is rather hot but the second day I've tweaked how to open the windows a bit wider, since then the room is the perfect temperature. the hallways are a bit worn down and smelly (as some of the rooms including ours are smoking rooms even though we're smokers we still could detect the smell and it's not pretty) the hotel itself needs a major update, but the room is clean and the shower is ok; easy to set the temperature and the water pressure is good. very good location. apart from the seagulls we had an uninterrupted rest.

Stayed July 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,256)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

We didn't go with high expectations, we'd both stayed at the hotel before and knew that it wasn't the Ritz, but we'd decided to try Rocksalt in the harbour and this was a very convenient place to stay for the night.

It's cheap, cheerful and obviously popular, a 550 room hotel booked to capacity on a Friday night, there must be something good about the hotel.

The hotel is an imposing building, built on the sea front at Hastings in the shape of a liner. I'm guessing it's around 13 stories high. Our room was on the 14th floor. The reason I say I guess it's 13 floors high is that the 14th floor is actually subterranean.

The weekend we stayed was one of the hottest of the year, so any room was going to be hot, but being in the basement of the hotel and even though it had windows that opened into basement area there was no airflow and no cooling and the temperature never dropped below 28 degrees centigrade. Way too hot in my opinion. If you're going to use rooms for guests then you at least expect a comfortable night.

The room was OK apart from the temperature. Good shower, clean and tidy bathroom, TV, Ironing board, Tea & Coffee, etc. For the price all you can expect, but the real let down was the intense heat.

Breakfast was a real budget buffet affair. Basic (as in supermarket own brand basic) sausages, bacon, eggs, fried bread, beans and tomatoes, along with a selection of tinned fruit and bread.

Would we stay again? Possibly, but we'd check which floor the room was on and if it was on the 14th, no way.

Room Tip: Don't got for floor 14, it's not as high as the number might suggest (in fact it's -1!!)
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Cleanliness
1 Thank smurf4568

Travellers are raving about these Folkestone hotels

Benalmadena
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Rooms cheap and cheerful, decor dated and worn. Food very good. You have to pay for gym, swimming pool and parking. Clientele are a mixture of foreign school children on school trips, coach trip pensioners and the tattooed overweight single mother Benidorm types.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lol C
Straelen
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel might be on low price, but there is low price at proper value and there is CHEAP. This place is CHEAP. I don't think its worth renovating and repairing here and there. This needs a complete take down and rebuilding from the scratch with new management. There is nothing in this hotel which appears to be not broken, scratched or dirty. A pity for Folkstone and the guests to come.

Stayed July 2014
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

This hotel lets itself down with its very shabby appearance. With a coat of paint and refurbishment it could be absolutely stunning. In a prime position with an excellent view of the harbour it is a crying shame that its appearance is so neglected. However apart from that we had an enjoyable stay thanks to the more than acceptable food on offer and the entertainment which was, thanks to a very good cabaret on both nights, very enjoyable.

Room Tip: A disco pub was in operation on Saturday night till 2 in the morning. If possible get a room nearer...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
2 Thank albert f
Newent, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

Stayed here with my partner for 4 nights from 7th July as a base to explore the surrounding area. I booked via their own Britannia Hotels website where I took advantage of the entertainment package - bed, breakfast, evening meal and entertainment - all for £55 per night for the two of us (cheaper than anywhere else I could find).

After a long day travelling we checked in just before 8pm. Reception staff friendly, courteous and checked us in with no problems. I had asked for a high room and was put on the 9th floor. This seems to be a smoking floor - all the rooms seemed to have designated smoking room labels. I am sure I asked for non smoking, but that is a small issue. What I find amazing in this day and age is the fact they allow smoking anywhere in the building at all - I thought ALL public buildings were non smoking. A bigger issue (to us non smokers) is that we had the sliding doors open to air the room out and smoke from the adjoining balconies wafted in when they were smoking. Luckily they weren't chain smokers.

ROOM:-

Room had a balcony overlooking the beach with great views. Room was smallish and clean. We were pleasantly surprised after reading reviews on here as it certainly wasn't as bad as some say - maybe we were lucky. Room had double bed, drawers, double wardrobe, tv, coffee table and 2 armchairs, iron, ironing board, kettle and tea/coffee/sugar. There were a couple of plastic patio chairs on the balcony. Bathroom was clean, with bath with shower over. Bath mat was in a sealed clear plastic wrapper. Clean towels (2 x bath and 2 x hand) were left on bed every day, neatly folded/rolled - nice touch. OK, if you looked hard enough, you could pick holes - the bathroom could do with a complete refurb - the bath panel was a diy effort, not very well made, dry paint splashes on the floor, around the vanity unit needed tiling, heated towel rail clip not secure - little things like that, but was perfectly useable and OK - not something I thought we needed to complain about. If it was as bad as some people say, I am sure my partner would have walked out - she was apprehensive after reading reviews, but that went as soon as we walked in the room and had a quick look. TV worked OK, although not many channels. Shower was lovely, with as much hot water as we needed. The only issue we had was with the guests in the adjoining room. They woke us up at some unearthly hour (about 4:30am) one day, 5:00am the next (might have been different guests). Banging, shouting and swearing for around 45 minutes before they left (day trip to France perhaps?). That is not the fault of the hotel - it is just pure bad manners and lack of respect for other people, but does draw your attention to the thin walls.

You can pay to upgrade to a 'premier' room, although on looking at one (I asked to look in one and reception gave me a key without a problem), I am not sure I would. It wasn't much different - the bathroom vanity area was tiled, the carpet a bit plusher and there were biscuits with the tea/coffee. Apart from that it was much the same. I think you may get an upgrade to the Victorian Restaurant with the premier room, but I think you may be able to pay to upgrade that on its own.

FOOD/RESTAURANT:-

We were booked to use the Victorian restaurant (I think it was included in our deal). This seems to be a bit more upmarket than the Harbour Restaurant, which looks more like a big café, although from what I could see from a quick glance, the food was the same. The Victorian has nice sumptuous cushioned leather chairs and the overall feel is better (sounds really snobbish, know). Waitress came and took order for drinks and brought them to the table. Drink prices were reasonable. Evening meal food was a help yourself buffet style, with lots of choice - choice of salads, choice of salad items, soup, choice of mains (changed daily) and choice of vegetables. Deserts were usually a choice of cheesecakes, gateaux, fruit salad. Afterwards, tea/coffee/mints provided (self service). Waitresses were very efficient and seemed friendly and courteous. We enjoyed the evening meal food - it was perfectly edible with a good choice. Breakfast was the same buffet self service style, again with plenty of choice. Waitress brought us tea/coffee in teapot/coffee pot. Fruit juice was out of a machine, but was not up to much - the orange juice was terribly watered down, apple juice was OK. There were about 4 or so choices of cereals and porridge. Bread available to make toast. Assortment of butters, spreads, jams, marmalades etc. Cooked was OK, although sausages were a bit strange - probably too cheap for their own good. Overall, again, perfectly edible and enjoyable - we certainly left full up after breakfast and dinner.

Can't comment on the entertainment as we didn't go to see it - they always seemed to have bingo on at the time we finished our evening meal and the proper entertainment didn't start until late and we couldn't be bothered to wait around, so just had a drink in the lounge and went to our room.

LOUNGE:-

Didn't spend much time in the lounge - only half an hour or so after our evening meal. Seemed OK. I think some of the seats need replacing - the leather looks very tired and patchy on most of the armchairs. They are comfortable enough, but just brings the look down.

LIFTS:-

These are a bit odd, although once you get used to them seem to work OK. One lift is reserved for floors 7 upwards and will not go to any lower floors (except ground). The other 2 lifts only go up to floor 7. Lots of people got confused by this, but is OK once you fathom it out (there are notices in the lift to tell you, but people either can't read or didn't take any notice - they would rather moan about the fact they have been going up and down and not getting to the floor they want!

WIFI:-

Is free, but only available downstairs in the reception/lounge areas. Didn't really bother me - I was on holiday and didn't want to use it. This seems to be the norm for most hotels around the world these days and not specific to this hotel, which is pretty pathetic as you can usually find a McDonalds and get it for free.

PARKING:-

Parking costs £3.50 for 24 hours or part thereof, from 10:30 am - 10:30am. Meaning if you arrive late, you have to pay for the full 24 hours, but have to pay again after 10:30 the next morning. I found this to be a bit unfair and petty, especially as we were out all day and only parked overnight - just as well it was 'only' £3.50, although still £14 for 4 nights. The Car Park is fairly small considering the size of the hotel, but we managed to find a space every day without a problem - just as well as the £3.50 fee does not guarantee a space. There is some parking under the hotel, but is limited due to a lot of 'stuff' taking up the spaces. Outside car park is quite rough in places with ruts and potholes - could do with resurfacing, but OK. It just looks a bit untidy and brings the tone down.

All in all we were really happy with our stay and pleasantly surprised with the room. The hotel is in a great location to explore the surrounding area. It isn't a 4 or 5 star hotel, but doesn't pretend to be, so don't expect the standards of the Ritz. The staff are all very pleasant and the food is perfectly adequate. Yes, it is a bit rough round the edges and tired in places, but considering the turnaround of guests (coach parties, day trippers etc.), they probably don't get a lot of time to do a complete overhaul. I am not saying it is great by any means, but I thought we had exceptional value for money and would definitely use it again.
Thanks to all the staff who work exceptionally hard.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room - you may get a balcony with great views.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
1 Thank cabbage4histea
Leiden, The Netherlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

This hotel is conveniently located for ferry and the tunnel to France. They 'lost' my reservation so it was lucky I had brought my confirmation. Not that anybody apologized or said sorry for loosing my reservation.
Walking to the room, which was described to me as being in the 'new' wing, you can't ignore the fact that this hotel would benefit from some serious cleaning. But maybe a complete renovation would be simpler. The lift looked like a freight lift, the carpets stank and looked absolutely disgusting. The single room, think the size of a cleaning closet, had carpets that you didn't want to walk on with shoes....
And then I haven't mentioned the most disorganized parking lot I have ever experienced.
And the breakfast in the 'canteen'? The scrambled eggs didn't even resemble anthing you would want to eat.
It might be cheap, but I would avoid this hotel at all costs. Next time I'd think I'd prefer to sleep in the car.

Room Tip: A good room? I would recommend you'd go elsewhere...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo