“TO LARGE A HOTEL”

Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Folkestone
Torquay, United Kingdom
“TO LARGE A HOTEL”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

This was our second time staying at the Burstin for our usual run to France & Belgium.My reason for the review title is because of the large number of rooms (500) they must have a problem filling them because there were all sorts of dead beats staying there. I have never seen so many scruffy dirty people staying in a hotel as the Burstin.Early evening all you could see were these people taking take a ways to their rooms,fish & chips,hamburgers,pizzas etc.If you have booked in for breakfast and dinner upgrade to the restaurant unless you want to eat in what I can only call a canteen.
Would I stay again,only if going to Belgium on a coach trip,otherwise I would find alternative accomodation.

John & Sue
Torquay

Room Tip: Room facing the harbour
1 Thank suej0hnb

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,266)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

My first thought was English Benidorm, on arriving the reception was packed,dirty extremely old and smelly.
We made our way to the basement where our room was,as we came out the lift we were hit with a smell like there had been a flood the week before,it absolutely stunk...the room very old fashioned but clean..
We went up for dinner,words fail me...from DIRTY ROTTEN carpets to food on curtains ,rotten windows,dirty walls..disgusting food...it was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in...
I would have to say the only good thing about this 50's hotel was the staff were helpful and extremely friendly...

Room Tip: Another Hotel
1 Thank Pamela M

Travellers are raving about these Folkestone hotels

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

It served it's purpose and in a nice enough location. Good for a walk along the coast. The hotel had issues with lifts though with only obe very slow and temperamental one serving the floor I was on. It felt more like a retirement community than a hotel but the breakfast was decent enough and I slept well. The room was very shabby with damp and issues with ceiling tiles and I couldn't get the balcony door to lock. Wifi only available in reception via the slow and dodgy lift. I managed to park but do begrudge parking charges even if small. Bathroom was clean enough.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

stayed here lots of times, some of the rooms need updating,the beds are comfortable, food is very nice all you can eat buffet the entertainment is good if you like cabaret, beer is fairly priced. i dont know how people can complain for the price of the hotel with everything you need where else can you stay for all this with just 2* ratings ? the only complaint i would have is the lifts, allways a queue and have a habit of breaking down

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
liskeard cornwall
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

went on a long weekend with majestic tours the coach trip was fine but maybe they should find a better hotel for there tours when we arrived a lady came out and give us all are keys a good start we thought, booked 2 rooms for myself and daughter 1 was on the 2nd floor when we looked at the room it had a double bed and a single bed and thought it was not to bad as it was only for 1 person but the carpet had not been hovered and under the bed was full of paper and dust there was ceiling tiles that were hanging off and the rest were being kept on with cobwebs !!! the bathroom was a mess the toilet seat was off (they did repair it after complaining)and the bath was alfull i cleaned it myself before using it on the plus side i did have a harbour view we then decided to find my daughters room after looking all over the place we were told it was in the other half of the hotel at the back could not of been any further from my room yet we were on same booking? well this room was very small but as it was for 1 we thought fair enough you looked out the window in to a brick wall and the bathroom was the same as mine dirty !!! that eve went for our meal with dread but was pleasently surprised the food was not that bad plenty of choice and staff was clearing tables very quick found breakfast the same staff clearing all the time and plenty of choice entertainment was passable in all the hotel needs to pulled down and re built or get some decent managment in and sort the cleaners out !!! im sure the rooms would look a lot better with a good clean in all would never go back to this hotel again also like to add fire alarm is always going off during the night !!

Room Tip: do not go there
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Maidstone, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

My partner and I had this hotel booked for us for the weekend, for my 21st birthday. First of all, we were unpleasantly surprised to find that we had to pay for parking. We arrived on motorbikes, so could use one parking space for both of us, but still.. £3.50 per night??!! We've never known a hotel to charge for parking..

The room we had was situated on the 2nd floor. We had a lovely view of the bins outside and the back door to the kitchens, as well as the flats opposite. Be warned - the walls are thin.... Twice I was woken by our neighbour snoring loudly in the next room.

An upside is the location of the hotel. It is right on the coast, beside a pebble beach, and a short walk away from several more sandy beaches. There was a lot going on, during our stay. Music shows were going on, boat races, 60s-80s live music in the ballroom, the town was busy and the variety of shops on the streets is great.

All in all, if you are planning a trip to Folkestone, well, stay in this hotel if you only plan to sleep here ((We don't recommend the food, it's like plastic..)) and do nothing else, or find a better hotel nearby!!

Room Tip: If you can get a room at the top, do so!!
1 Thank Jade-n-Pat
Aldershot, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

Always try to give a fair review on this site to help other travellers, if it's good I'll say so, likewise if it's the pitts I pull no strings. We booked a long weekend coach trip, unfortunatly at time of booking we had no idea of where our Tour organiser would put us so had to "take what comes" big mistake for if I had known about the (not so Grand Burstin!!) we just would not have come, but I had paid my money which I couldn't get back so we decided to give it a go, obviously having now seen the reveiws we were full of trepidation. First the positives - ROOM our room was sea view on the 1st floor (room 149) with fantastic view of the harbour, a reasonably large room although a bit dated and it was clean but what stood out the most was the exceptional cleansliness of both the bedding and towels, crisp & immacuatly white, and we had lashings of hot water, this had put our minds at rest and we decided to stay- FOOD/RESTAURANT Buffet style eat as much or as little as you wanted, the food was good, hot and a reasonalby large choice, we also found the "Harbour restaurant where we ate all our meals sufficent as regards cleanliness. Very large hotel run on a holiday camp style. Now the downside, we were awoken from a deep sleep (and couldn't get off again) by the activation of the smoke alarm (twice over the weekend) by these selfish moronic people who insist on having a "quick drag in their rooms, thank you mindless brain dead morons for ruining ours and a few hundred other peoples holiday!!! also the corroidors stunk to high heaven with this ungodly stench from the so called no smoking rooms. Will we go again? short answer NO until the management of Pontins implement what is English Law and enforce the no smoking policy. Pontins be ashamed very ashamed!! we and I believe many many more would once again grace your establishment if it didn't stink.

Room Tip: try to get a sea view
1 Thank YorkieAldershot