The Southcliff
US$64
US$60
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Best Western Plus Burlington Hotel(Folkestone)(Great Value!)
US$117
Seabrook House(Hythe)(Great Value!)
US$128
Travelocity
  • Free Internet
All reviewsbit datedbasic hotelcoach partysea frontleas cliffshower roomcooked breakfasttown centretea and coffeeexcellent value for moneyseafront
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Booked into the southcliff for a few days away to visit family. Were booked into room 45. Simple room. Seemed okay, over looking the rear car park. It is a clean enough room, very basic. For a cheap (£71) and cheerful hotel we didn't expect much but when I went to have a shower I at least expected hot water. After playing with the shower for 10 minutes I got fed up and went down to the front desk and asked how it worked. This confirmed to me that it was Infact broken and there was no hot water. I was told by the man at the desk 'I'll tell maintenance' then continued doing what he was doing.
So I said 'well what are we meant to do in the mean time' to which he phoned 'Dave the maintenance man'.

Due to go out for dinner we can't wait any longer for Dave to come and sort it out, we weren't offered a change of room or even an apology.
I ran the tap on the sink and after 2 minutes it had barely warmed up.

Tea and coffee is supplied in the form of some freeze dried sachets however no milk. So that's useless unless you wish to buy your own or if you have it as it comes.

We've been booked in an hour and I'm already stewing on a rather large complaint for money back.

I'm not hotel inspector but anybody should be able to get a warm shower and a drop of milk with the supplied tea and coffee.

Not a happy Easter bunny.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Coxxy999
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Having pulled up outside the hotel you could see the difference in the pictures on the internet . it looked lovely and clean and bright in the photos , But to see it for real it looked very dirty and the windows needed a clean as well. As we walked in the front door to be greet with a lovely big smile and very polite gentleman on the front desk . we checked in and then went our room which was again very dull and needed a good make over . as pretty much of the hotel in fairness . Then we went to the bar and stayed there much of the afternoon . After going out for something to eat , We came back to a packed hotel . There were people sitting in the main room and waiting to play bingo . So I said where do we buy the tickets from ,to be told its a private party , So we had 1 more drink and retired to our room. In the morning we went to breakfast and to be fair it was very good . So overall a good cheap overnight stay with breakfast .

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank andycox44
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Having left The Carlton Hotel next door due to many problems, I booked in for night at the Southcliff Hotel.
Food slightly better than Carlton. I had a doulble room that over looked sea.
The room was clean and nice clean bed. The furniture was sunburnt and had seen better days. A draw broke as i was opening it. The toilet seat needed fixing.No shower. The bath had old fashioned plastic hand held spray attached to bath taps!!!
The worst part was after going for an early morning walk, getting out of the lift to go to my room when a homeless man was getting in with his belongings!!!! I understand this is common practice in the area with an agreement with council.
Cheap stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed for two days, rooms were clean and tidy even if a bit dated. Bathroom was a squeeze and not very modern but for the money it did the job nicely. Staff were friendly and we would happily stay again, good value.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank lyndonjedwards
Reviewed 2 April 2014

If you're looking for cheap and cheerful with no frills attached then this is the one. We had a large room on fourth floor and had to reach this via a 'faulty towers' style lift built by 'bob the builder'. There was a sea view with amazing sunrise scenery and location was great. (Brilliant indian restaurant round corner). The room was spotless although, as you would expect, the bathroom fittings were historic, and the bed was a bit dodgy. However, lovely welcome and convenient for port so would recommend for cheap, short stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple