“Beautiful location”
Review of The Southcliff

The Southcliff
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Folkestone
Reviewed 26 June 2014

This hotel was expectionally cheap so I thought it would be more like a hostel. We booked a room for two people and a two year old; they didn't charge for my son and provided a travel cot too. When we arrived at the hotel we were pleasantly suprised. The hotel is a fair size, lit up with pretty blue lights, and is very central to Folkestone, overlooking the sea. The lounge and halls were elegant, very bright with a cosy bar at the back. Our room on the second floor was small but nicely arranged. The balcony had a picture perfect view of the sea. Only thing, the room was little grubby in the corners and the shower wasn't very clean. Breakfast the next morning was simple (a small fry up) but considering the cost of the room excellent value. Very pleased with our stay and would recommend it

Room Tip: sea view is lovely but no good if you cant sleep with a little background noise from the road
1  Thank Megan H
There are newer reviews for The Southcliff

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Not good, had a night stay, it was disaster, faulty locks, smelly rooms but the view beats them all and staffs very lovely and warm. If you are looking for a good stay you are better off somewhere else but if you are tight on budget, it might be the one for you.

Room Tip: Balcony and sea view
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 June 2014

The hotel is really nice from the outside and located in The Leas with a direct sea view. Once you enter though, you notice the outdated furnishing and and old smell. This smell and the outdated indoors also are present in the rooms. We had a room on 4th floor with a magnificent sea view though. Breakfast was okay. The staff was very friendly and helpful and they are very fit in foreign languages.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I stayed here recently for one night prior to an early ferry departure from Dover. As you approach the hotel from the road the building looks quite impressive from the outside, however once inside the first thing that hits you is the old and musty smell. Whilst I waited at the reception desk I had a quick look around and my immediate thoughts were to make my excuses and to make a hasty exit. The place reminded me of a homeless persons hostel. Unfortunately my opportunity passed as the man on reception greeted me and confirmed my booking for the night. I reluctantly checked in and was shown the direction of my room via the stairs. It is quite evident that the hotel is in desperate need of a major facelift, the bright orange artex walls were probably fashionable in the 70s. The room itself was quite clean but again smelled musty. The single bed was hard and creaked. The furniture again was a through back from the 70s. I slept the night arose quite early and left the hotel briskly and although I paid for B&B I skipped breakfast preferring to have my breakfast on the ferry. The hotel was advertised as a 2 star therefore you shouldn't expect too much, needless to say anymore I will not be returning, in fact given the choice I would rather spend the night on the beach.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Chris G
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Folkestone is in need of a major overhaul which is a shame as I bet it was once quite nice. The southcliff hotel is also in need of a major refurbishment but if its only a cheap over night stay its ok, the rooms smell a bit musty and there is no atmosphere in the bar etc... Pull up, get your key, go to bed and carry on travelling to where your destination is the next day.

Room Tip: We had rooms 31 and 34 which were on third floor overlooking the sea. We headed out for something to...
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Booked a night here to visit the Air Show and managed to secure two rooms with balconies overlooking the sae front that gave brilliant views of everything, including the firework display at the end of the day. As soon as we walked in to the lobby we were made to feel at home even though we arrived much earlier than planned and our rooms were not ready. The staff are friendly and hospitable. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The breakfast was included and was a good breakfast. This is great value for money B&B and I recommend it.

We are a family of four and took two double rooms (103 and 104) which seemed to have been one big room originally. The doors faced each other off the main corridor so we could circulate very easily between the two rooms as if we had a two room suite. It worked really well for us.

Room Tip: 103/104 for families wanting balcony and sea views
1  Thank Alansolicitor
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

We booked and stayed for one night at £32 room only. The room was a good size, rear facing.

We arrived very late and rang ahead to confirm we were definitely arriving to ensure the room was held. The guy on reception was very professional and jolly for 1am!!

The lift is small, as previously mentioned and really typical of this age and type of hotel. Part of the character of the hotel really.

The room had everything we needed including towels, toiletries and tea/coffee.

Parking is very close in a pay and display. We managed to park on the road just road the corner.

I would definitely stay here again and hope to spend a little longer on the bed! (Late arrival and early departure)

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple