The Wycliffe Guest House
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
The Southcliff(Folkestone)
US$56
US$53
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Best Western Plus Burlington Hotel(Folkestone)(Great Value!)
US$115
US$105
Priceline
US$110
PremierInn.com
All reviewshonesty barb boff street parkingshort walkfriendly receptionstayed here for one nightsmall hotelfull english breakfastpleasant stayshort stayexcellent value for moneyfamily rooman overnight stayensuitelandladyhostsguesthouse
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We booked this charming little guesthouse for one night as accommodation before our ferry trip back to France. The decision was based on the good reviews, and we were not disappointed. Very friendly reception, a small, but recently refurbished and nicely appointed room and a very good breakfast. Nice touch: the honesty bar for self-service in the evening.
Should we travel to or from England again, this will definitely be our stopover.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KasperSolingen
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I needed a quiet room to get two nights sleep and not have to pay very much - and that is exactly what I got. Yes, it's basic and yes, the decor's a bit dated but it is spotlessly clean, neat and tidy; obviously very well maintained, cared for and looked after. Kate and Mike extremely helpful, especially in providing a 6 am continental breakfast - outside normal breakfast hours - so I could be on my way before 7. En-suite bathroom in my single was tiny, but more than adequate. With ample parking and an almost town-centre location, this place presents very good value for money indeed. I wish there were more places like The Wycliffe in other towns ...

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 September 2013

My family and I stayed at the Wycliffe Hotel over night the other weekend as our son was attending a Powerlifting Competition on the Sunday. I read numerous hotel reviews on tripadvisor and was looking for a clean, comfortable, friendly place for my family to stay at a reasonable price. I chose the Wycliffe as the reviews I read on tripadvisor met what I was looking for. I looked at a number of booking site and was going to use one but needed a question answering. I telephoned the hotel and spoke to Kate the owner. I found out it was cheaper to book direct with the hotel than to go through a web site. Kate was very kind and helpful. She took my booking over the phone and emailed confirmation the next day.

We travelled over 260 miles to get to Folkestone on a very hot day with lots of traffic. We were greeted on our arrival with a warm friendly welcome and a smile. We had room 10 on the upper floor. The room slept 5 and was very light and airy with lots of space. There was a double, a single and a set of bunk beds in it. All very clean and comfortable. The room was also very clean and so was the en suite shower room. Tea & coffee making facilities were also good.

The owners were lovely people who make us feel very welcome. They were very informative about the local area and supplied a map and directions of how to get to where we needed to go. The hotel book in our room covered a lot of information too, from places of interest to go, to where the local restaurants are even the local chemist if needed.

Breakfast was very nice. We had ceral to start and a full english with toast and coffee. It was lovely and hot and all cooked to individual taste. My family and I would certainly stay there again and recommend it to friends.

Room Tip: If you are a family with 2 to 3 kids or even a couple of grown kids like mine then room 10 gives enough room for you all.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 September 2013

This Hotel is situated around a 15 minute drive from the Eurotunnel Terminal and a short walk into Folkestone. We arrived on motorcycles and were allowed to park them in a safe part of the garden. On arrival we were made to feel really welcome and you can tell that the owners really want to look after you. A nice touch was the manager had purchased a copy of Motorcycle News for us. The bedroom was not large but ideal for our overnight stay. My only complaint was that the Saniflo loo was noisy but that was no great problem. We didn't stay for breakfast so I can't comment on that. If you want a Hotel with that personal touch then the Wycliffe is ideal. Yes the décor is a little dated but I think that adds to it's charm. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms to the front overlook the main road, rooms to the rear overlook a large well kept playing field and the Church.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Mewalshy
Reviewed 25 July 2013

This traditional B&B, complete with 'No Vacancies' sign, is about a 10 minute walk from the station and from the seafront.

The decor dates from the 1970s - intense dark red carpets, curious leather banquette seating in the living room, etc.

My single room was small but OK; the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was modern but tiny (shower rather than bath). No flannel was provided (a particular bugbear of mine!)

Breakfast had a reasonable choice of cooked, continental & buffet; service was a little haphazard.

The proprietors were friendly. There is a reasonable amount of parking. Free wi-fi was provided, though I didn't try it.

Overall it's hard for me to assess (including the cost) as I rarely stay in B&Bs, though I expect many are like this. Personally I'd prefer a more upmarket place with more modern decor.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends