“A Nice Pit-Stop.”

Cuisines: Bar
England
“A Nice Pit-Stop.”
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Visiting Folkestone? Maybe one of the first places you will visit is The Leas. Full of Victorian Grandeur with its splendid grand buildings, the bandstand & stunning views. You may discover the Zig-Zag path, leading down to the Lower Leas.
Here, nestling under the Leas hillside is Mermaids Cafe Bar. An ambient peacefull setting directly over looking the sea. You can sit inside or outside. Staff have a relaxed, laid back attitude. Also polite, attentive & friendly.
Tea & coffee seems to be the trend, with a wedge of cake or other sweet treats. You can have beer, wine if the mood takes you. Light snacks are well presented too. Sandwiches, toasties & pannies. All at a fair price in my mind. Like I said its a nice pit-stop.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Ranger297

• Polish first
Oxford, United Kingdom
“A horrifying experience!”
Reviewed 23 August 2013

I popped in here this afternoon to have some lunch with my children after a long morning on the beach. Mermaids is in a wonderful unique, special location - right on the beach front! They have little competition here (lucky them!) and with such a wonderful location, expectation was high.
I left this place feeling deflated, stressed out and pretty angry! We waited well over an hour for our mediocre food (I ordered two half size baked potatoes for the children and a panini for myself) after a 50 minute wait (you need to arm yourself with toys/iPads if you want your children to cope with the wait!) they informed me that they didn't have the ingredients for my panini and asked if I could choose something else - with two hungry children about to climb the walls, I just settled for a bowl of chips. 10 minutes later the food arrived and was edible - but why the huge wait if it clearly only took 10 mins to prepare? The food was also extraordinarily overpriced. The panini was £6.95 and the children's (half size) baked potatoes were £5 each!
Another huge problem (especially with our visit lasting around two hours) was the out-of-order toilet. There were no warnings about this prior to ordering and with two small children toilets really are a must. Irritatingly, there was a tiny sign on the toilet door explaining the inconvenience and that it would be fixed in June - it is now August! The August bank holiday weekend, in fact and as an upscale cafe (in terms of prices and location) this small issue should have been fixed immediately. Instead they directed me to send my five year old daughter up to the public toilets at the local park!! They have clearly just relied on this quick-fix for months and have no intention of sorting out their own facilities. What a disgrace! Appalling business management for the peak of their busiest time of year.
As well as these major concerns, I also saw the following:
- Two broken windows (unprotected/uncovered and right next to the seating)
- Vases of dead flowers on nearly every table !? The water in these vases was so old it had actually turned opaque and resembled milk, not water.
- Member of the kitchen coming over and shouting at a young girl sat nearby. The young girl hadn't responded when the cook called her name (food ready) and so the cook came over and shouted: "I've been calling your name - keep your ears open, can't you see we're busy here!"
A horrifying experience and such a horrible shame that a potentially beautiful restaurant/cafe is being so badly managed.
I believe this restaurant to be quite dangerous for small children (especially broken windows and hygiene) and so I have reported my concerns to the local authority.

Best to avoid!

• Visited August 2013
8 Thank Jaime J
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Great place”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Great place to go after long walks, to re energise with tea- coffee and cake- scones.
Not over priced either which is refreshing in it self!
Would recommend this café even though we only had cake and coffee, very clean and pleasant with great views.

• Visited July 2013