Carlton Hotel
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Folkestone
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Stayed in hotel with a coach tour 31st March- 4th April.
After reading several of the comments posted here I was dubious.
The price I paid for half board (breakfast, evening meal), transfers, excursions including channel tunnel crossing was extremely cheap therefore I had no big expectations.
I was pleasantly surprised. My room in the 3rd floor attic (no view a skylight window)had a shower en suite, separate toilet and wash basin, a double bed, double wardrobe, dresser and functional bedside table, electric kettle, half a dozen coffee sachets, half a dozen tea bags, sugar and milk were provided plus a TV.
The lack of view was not important as I was only using the room to shower and sleep.
More importantly the sheets, pillows, pillow cases and thick towels were pristine white.
Rooms were serviced on a daily basis and used towels and bath mat
were changed.
Breakfast was the standard of a good 3 or 4 star hotel. The Orange juice was very good, cereals ie cornflakes, rice crispies etc were brand names, milk was excellent and all were on a help yourself basis. The cooked breakfasts again were excellent quality and plentiful,extra toast if required (wholemeal or white) was served rapidly with a smile. Plus you could have as much tea and coffee as you wanted. Wait staff were amazing. I'm not a fan of the full English and requested scrambled eggs and bacon. They were so good I reordered on a daily basis.
Dinner was a waitress served choice from 3 starters, 3 mains (meat, fish, vegetarian) 3 puddings (one of which was homemade) or cheese and biscuits followed by tea or coffee.
The quality of the food provided was excellent, portions were large and menus were varied.
The crockery, glasses, etc were immaculate.
The hotel an old Victorian house is being renovated at the moment. Due to it being such an age the lift which serves two floors is tiny and can only accommodate 2 people with normal luggage. This said, the hotel is perfectly situated on the Leas where the view over the channel is amazing. Plus for shopaholics exit the hotel turn right and right again and you are in the start of the town without any hills to climb.
The bar charges the same prices as my local British Legion club.
We had entertainment provided on three nights, singers who were good.
There is also a free car park at the rear of the hotel and free fast wifi in the bar and lounge. For wifi just ask reception for the password.
All the hotel staff are commendable and have a good client/work ethic.
So, if you are looking for a hotel that is being renovated and provides excellent food quality and service, clean bedding and towels, loads of hot water and cheerful helpful staff then this is for you. If you want to pay cheap rates and expect luxurious rooms stay away.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank Norah R

Reviewed 4 April 2014

Do not stay at this hotel. We have just returned from a weeks stay and are very glad to see the back of it. The hotel in general is dirty and our room was equally poor. On our last night before we went to bed my wife found a large black insect crawling across the bed, lovely !! As for the food, truly terrible, one night we had trifle, which arrived frozen solid, with the waitress stating 'oh yeh, we forgot to get them out the freezer'. Another night we had pasta which was inedible. We were on a coach holiday and as incredulous as it sounds, our driver refused to stay there and insisted on his tour company booking him into another hotel, which they did, if only we had had the option to do that.

Room Tip: My recommendation, choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Robin P
Reviewed 1 April 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed in this hotel over the week end. When we arrived we were dissapointed by the outside as it doesn't look like on the picture at all. It's sad as the place is so well located. The seafront is amazingly beautifull.

When we went inside, the owner(Kevin) has been very cheerful with us. He explained to us that he just bought the hotel, that why there are doing some work to renovate it as it's a 400 hundred years old building.He gave us the keys and then my girlfriend and I went to our room (2nd floor). That's how I was calling it before to enter in this slum.

We entered into the slum and straight noticed the dirty wall behind the bed and the dirty bed. The room wasn't soundproof. I mean not even a little..
The windows were all filthy and mouldy. The room has such a bad smell that my girlfriend used her deodorant. The shower is also filty and mouldy. I was so angry and dissapointed, as i wanted to book a nice beautifull room for my girlfriend and I for our first anniversary. We are not very exigent person and we are easily pleased, but this slum was just horrible.

That 's not all... wait and listen to this if you can...

On the evening we went out for the dinner. When we came back we had a problem with the lock so we went down (there are no telephone in the room to call the reception... no matter, we like sports). The owner's dad came with us and explain to us that it was a 18's century lock and showed us how to use it. ( That's nice as we like to learn new things too). Then he asked us if the room was nice. I told him that we expected a better "room" . He told us that there are doing work on it and that in the next 6 months , the hotel will be a 3 stars hotel. ( So unlunky, we booked a room for the week end). I also told him the room was dirt and said that they are working on it.

Just wait a bit more...if you want more...

As i was lying on the bed i just realized the carpet hasn't been hoovered. It was all covered by grass and thorn. The best part is here : I FOUND A WOMAN STOCKING under the bed.
I really wanted to bring it to the owner but my girlfriend told me not to do this.

Other things in this horror museum : The floor isn't straight, that why the bed as been raised with boards under the bed legs. The sink would be perfect for an hobbit as it's so tiny.The kettle had a massive chunk of limestone in it. The string to turn the light on in the toilet is all filty and covered by a kind of black/brown stuff. I let you guess what it could be... Toilet/black stuff, black stuff/ toilet... Yeah you know what I mean...

Let me tell you now the story of our first night in the Carlton Hotel. We were really tired as my girlfriend worked on the saturday morning. As we were lying on the bed, I thought i was feeling dizzy as I felt like I was falling off the bed, I told my girlfriend and we actually realized that the bed shape looks similar to a hump back. If you never been drunk and you 're under 21 try this bed for a free experience. We woke up every hours as the bed was just horrible. And trust me , i slep in sand dunes and in my car many times.

The morning we woke up early to leave the hotel as quick as we could, to enjoy England which is an amazing country. We had breakfast, I enjoyed it, but my girlfriend didn't really like it ,it's not suitable for people who don't like to have English breakfast on the morning. It would be nice to have hot chocolate for example or hot milk or frog legs as we are french... just kidding.

We had a nice day in Canterburry, Herne Bay and Whitstable, but at the end of the day we had to drive back to the Hotel ...We didn't want to sleep one more night. The problem with the room is that when you go inside, you don't know where to put your stuff , you don't know where to sit as it 's just dirt everywhere. You can't relax. For people who like doing sport, you will be happy to sleep in this hotel , as even during the night, all your muscles are working to try not falling off the bed.

The second night was better, probably cuz we were really tired (because of the first night).

We woke up at 7.30 to leave the hotel as quick as possible.

However, we laught so much about this hotel with my girlfriend that iI can't say it was a bad experience. It was actually a very good experience..(that we will no re try).

Plus we met nice people like Linda and James, with who we had a very nice talk about the hotel, and travel experiences. Hope to see you in France one day .

I forgot to say, i had to cleen my brush tooth in the shower as I didn't want it to touch the sink.However it's not bad as my toothpath is anticalculus,I guess it can't be bad for the shower.

So if your room smells like mint then welcome to our room.

(I 'll had pictures of our room later)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AvengedSevenfold999
Reviewed 31 March 2014

My wife and I stayed here merely as a stop over as we arrived late and were leaving early for Eurotunnel. We got a really good deal of £30 B&B.

However, even as somewhere to put your head down for a few hours I would not recommend.

There is an over-powering smell of foist throughout the hotel. It's so bad that we felt it got into our clothes.

The bedroom was old and tired and smelled like the rest of the hotel.

I can't give a review of the wider aspects of the hotel as were only there over-night but the smell and the old and outdated furnishings/fittings mean that this is a definite no-hoper.

Only stay here if you feel that the price is so important that the above is a price worth paying.

We won't be staying there again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Martin G
Reviewed 31 March 2014

this hotel is a shambles we stayed from friday to monday was glad to get home the rooms a filthy, bed linen was clean but blankets were smelly the matress was full of peoples dead skin and fluff !!!!!!! food was bad and we ate out as it was bad , staff were ok but it was a could not care attitude people we smoking in the hotel as we smelled smoke constantly on the landings ,do not go there unless you want to experiance what its like to be a tramp, furniture in rooms was fit for the dump sink was not clean had to go out and buy wet wipes hand marks everywhere, my headboard was rank i had to put a sheet over it was full of other peoples greasy hair and it was also on the walls ..........

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank lindamay1951
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Having had an enjoyable break last year in Folkstone at Britannia Busrstin with David Urquhart Travel, I was looking forward to this break with again with David Urquhart. Our hotel had been changed at the last minute from Southcliff Hotel to Carlton Hotel. When i got to my room it messured 72inch x 151inch (my hall is larger than this room). First thing i noticed no central heating - elecrtric fire was broken with wires exposed. On sitting on my bed it had seen better days and was not fit to sleep on. I went to reception and asked to change rooms - no rooms available. The fire was changed. Bathroom tiny - shower curtain not long enough. Towels were thin and small. Shower head small and caked with limescale. Warm/cold water - never hot. Legionnaire's disease came to mind. Thin blanket on bed had to ask for another.
Walls paper thin. Fire doors banging. Stair carpets stretched - very dangerous as i missed my footing and nearly fell. Restaurant was ok - cheap food - could do better. After three days of uncomfortable sleeping, I pulled my bedding back to expose a very badly blood stained bed. No mattress protector. I aked again for bed to be changed which it was. My extra blanked was now used as a mattress protector!!! Had to ask for another blanket. After the worst night sleep i have ever had on unforgiving bed, I awoke to find a LIVE FLEA on bed!!! That was it - I walked and and moved to Southcliff Hotel for my last night of holiday. The only comment the manager saId on my leaving - Would you like another room!!! We have done everything you asked!!!! No apology. As a world wide traveller, I have never had a room/hotel as bad as this one.I feel very sorry for visitors who book into this hotel expecting good standard of cleanliness.

Room Tip: Do not use this hotel
Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Droopydraws27
Reviewed 30 March 2014

we have just got back from here we were on a coach trip, everything about it was run down and filthy, our rooms were not cleaned all the time we were there, the sheets were clean but that was all all the other bedding was dirty, bathroom dirty too. The food left a lot to be desired, the hotel is being renovated but I dont think they should be open while the renovation is going on, very disappointing trip.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends