“Budget accomodation” 4 of 5 bubbles

Carlton Hotel
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Folkestone
“Budget accomodation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Great choice for people on tight budget or looking for short stay. Clean rooms & bathrooms. Decent breakfast with plenty of options served until 9 am. Great location with parking spaces available. I found nothing to complain about.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank MiejskaLalunia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

Just one word: Nightmare
We booked the hotel, hoping to have a good night sleep on our way to Scotland.
We booked one family room for 2 adults, 2 kids and we're offered two small rooms instead.
When we entered the rooms, they were filthy, smelly and below any standard.
Although we saw the mixed reviews before, we thought it would be fine for one night, thank god we did not book it for longer, since Folkestone would have been nice.
However, we decided to continue our trip and preferred sleeping in the car....

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Folkestone hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

We stayed in this more than 100 years old Victorian type hotel last week and experienced a fantastic stay.
Ideal location for a holiday or a transit if you are traveling by Euro tunnel.

We managed to get the best possible price for a Double room including the breakfast, through expedia.com

I was surprised when i saw the bad comments posted by few people that asking other people not to stay there.
I believe that must be on personal agenda or some dirty marketing trick of a competitor.
Other wise there is no reason for any body to post such bad comments.

I did my simple maths as follows to find the fact,
The hotel has nearly 70 rooms according to the man in reception and the hotel is very old, so there must have been thousands of happy guests in past and now...

If they are so bad... can they be there so long ?
Good luck .. Carlton Hotel and all the nice staff
Diana & Andrew

Room Tip: Their sea view rooms are fantastic... we could see France during our stay since it was a mild and cl...
3 Thank Andrew406
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

Just returned from a two night stay in this dump. The only positive i can say is that we only stayed for two nights. On arrival the car park (muddy piece of ground) was full of private ambulances which have worked out a deal with the hotel for cheep parking and dramatically reduced parking for the hotel patrons. Our room was filthy. The windows have a gap so big that we could put our hand through it. With the wind blowing like mad we were kept up most of the night. The back had fallen of the electrical heater plug and i was not taking the risk in using it. Our bed was covered in long brown hair and there were toe nails all over the carpet. The bathroom was also filthy with three used pieces of soap and three dirty towels. On the Saturday one of the ambulances hit a car in the car park and the police were called. The reception staff are quite friendly but must be so embarrassed working at the hotel. I am no winger but this place is a dump. I have stayed in hotels all over the world and this is one of the worst. Spend a few more pounds and go some ware else.

Room Tip: Go some ware else
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Blackcat180
Chahtam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

We are staying as a coupl age 21 and 22, we are not clubbers and were looking for somewhere to sleep over after we visitied port lypmth zoo. We paid £25 for a double room for one night. Amazingly that included a fill English breakfast.

We arrived and the hotel was having work done,which I love to see in businesses as I know they are improving themselves, I hate it when people mark a place down for improving or having building work done, they won't be me to improve without it so it shouldn't effect how you grade a hotel. We ramg the desk bell and a man greeted us who was appended and happy to help us.

We got to our room and I was supposed at the quality and size for at we paid for (I'm not a person who has to have 5 star quality and beds etc) the room was more decorated for the older generate however this is Folkstone and we were expecting this from the reviews, but the quality of the bed and sheets was not like people had been saying. The room was clean and we also had ( I cheekily added in my comments box about a sea view when I booked, not thinking it would happen for the price we paid) the bathroom was so much bigger than I imagined I would get and it was nice. Only complaint was the strong smell of the chemicals they use, I would advice to you a diferant cleaning product as we had to keep the for shut as there was no ventilation to get rid one smell. Another problem we found, but not for us, was that the floor near the window dipped and was uneven, so this would not be safe for older people but not a problem for us. Water was nice and in general a good bathroom.

The bed sheets we plenty, we had 3 we could use, the bed was a spring bed and comfy. The floor did sqeek however, how walks around in their sleep? So this wasn't a problem. The we didn't use the TV as when I went to turn it on the battery didn't work and we were so tired we just decided it was better to just go to sleep.

We slept well however I did get woken up by a drunk man arguing with his wife and banging on his door which annoyed me a little however the hotel cannot help who thier guests are. ( I am a light sleep so this did not wake my partner)

The breakfast was quite nice but they also offer feral and fruit juices if you want, they will also cater to you if you want an adaption to your breakfast, I overheard a women saying she didnt want a full English so they asked if she wanted anything else, and she asked for egg on toast and they were more than happy to provide this which I thought was lovely.

Overall I'd definalty stay there again, partially if we visit port lympth zoo. Its a good budget hotel for people that don't have much, and its in a beautiful place. Love the staff love the hotel, best budget place I've spent my night in.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
3 Thank sportyabi007
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

so don't expect modern 5 star but we love it great views cheap lovely English breakfast and everything nearby hotel being over 100 years old and very Victorian looking only just got new owners so they are doing there best to get it up to scarcth very cheap indeed for the rooms and the bar in the hotel is very cheap for drinks and pretty much sells wide range of beers Christine caddle Essex.

Room Tip: most rooms are sea view and very quiet up the leas.
1 Thank chris291954
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Between booking the hotel and actually arriving we started to access more reviews. Some were so poor that had we been able to cancel without losing our money we would have done so. Booked and stayed 2 nights. Car park like small bomb site- rough ground and no lighting- terrible. Still muddy. Sufficiently concerned to move my car to road. Bedding clean but rest of room very poor condition and in need of considerable TLC. Bed itself was in disgusting condition.No sea view because of scaffolding. No evidence of work being carried out either externally or inside. Shower and connections in terrible state. Bathroom light not working. Would not cost a lot to modernise a little. Breakfast room good - much choice- good full English.Cereals, fruit juice, toast etc also served. Pleasant and efficient staff. Excellent location for a hotel. Promenade/sea front outside and close - easy walk to town centre. Good location for euro travel. I know you get what you pay for but should have been much better. Lots of potential if money could be spent on it. Parking on road in front of hotel is best if you can afford a couple of pounds. Free after 6pm and until 8.0am. If you wait until 6pm or are prepared to pay extra before this time you can feed meter so that after 6 you get the time added from 8.0am onwards the next morning (so you don't have to be up at 8am to move car).

Sorry to say that as hotel currently stands we will not be returning. On balance the negative reviews are probably more accurate.

Room Tip: Difficult to assist with this because I am not sure if any good rooms exist! Would probably suggest...
1 Thank WAYNE M