“cream tea in Salon de The”
Review of The Grand

tring
“cream tea in Salon de The”
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Booked cream teas for Mothering Sunday as special treat. We arrived a couple of minutes late, another member of our party was already being pressurised to be seated without us, even though they were not busy. Ordered 3 lots of tea and a milkshake - milkshake was warm, tasted foul and was undrinkable. Scones arrived with no butter, had to ask for some, and not enough cream and jam for 4, again had to ask to be told that they would provide some more but this was not usual! My tea was not nice, my choice not the tea, so I ordered a mohito cocktail instead. This was highly unpleasant and was not made properly, i put my own sugar in from the table to improve the flavour and did manage to drink it but it was not good. Luckily we have a sense of humour so the experience provided great entertainment value but we will not be returning. The piano music and the tea room was very nice though!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Karen S
Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Grand, responded to this review, 23 March 2012
Dear KarenS

Thank you for your review, I note that our Food & Beverage Manager has personally contacted you to discuss your concerns after your posting on this site; however I would take the opportunity to reiterate his comments here.

After investigation and as relayed to you I would advise that it was not our intent to pressurize your guest to take a seat, I apologise if this is how this was taken. Simply on an extremely busy day my Food & Beverage Manager was keen to ensure that your party was not spilt due to the high volume of other customers in the area. Regarding the Scone as a rule we send this with homemade preserve and clotted cream, not butter. The trimmings are advertised in our menu, however upon request we are very happy to provide fresh butter, also our cocktail description for the Mojito is Crisp Soda, White Rum and Fresh Mint- Sugar is not an advertised ingredient and although I am very sorry that this, and the milkshake, was not to your personal taste I am quite confident that we provided what we advertised.

My Food & Beverage Manager notes that neither he nor his staff was made aware of any dissatisfaction during your visit and I am very sorry that on this rare occasion your experience did not live up to that which is experienced with the vast majority of our guests, however by not alerting us to your concerns you deprive us of the opportunity to remedy them, something that I am fully confident would have been done.

Finally I would like to echo the F&B Managers invitation to a cream tea at The Grand and I look forward to welcoming you back at your earliest opportunity.

The Grand

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Basildon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 January 2012

My husband and I have been to this hotel twice in 2011, and both times have found it good value for money, The area is a splendid place for a holiday lovely surroundings and ideal for those of us who are slightly infirm as it is very flat,therefore easy for getting about. The hotel is let out in apartments, which are very adequate. The food in the Keppels bar on the ground floor serves good ample meals that are not too expensive, and if you are a guest there is the added bonus of a 10% discouint on your meals. .

Room Tip: we found the room on the ground floor large airy and french doors opened out onto the lawned area an...
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Joan W
Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Grand, responded to this review, 20 January 2012
Dear Joan W,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of The Grand. I am very pleased to see that you found our pricing to be competitive for the market and that the surrounding area complimented a pleasant stay with us. Our suites are of the period in which they were built, expansive, vintage and ideal for relaxation.
Finally I note that your complement our food offerings. Our Head Chef and his brigade work tirelessly to ensure our menus in both our Keppels Wine Bar and Palm Court Restaurant are suitable for every taste and are of the finest consistent quality. I now look forward to passing your comments to Chef and the Kitchen team.
P.S excellent Room Tip, the ground floor suites have beautiful French Doors opening on to our garden area, thank you for mentioning this.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Grand in the near future,

Sandgate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2011

We booked for Christmas week as the rates were extremely reasonable and the location is second to none. We were offered one of the refurbished suites on the ground floor, but decided to go for one of the older ones with a sea view. The suite was huge, very clean and comfortable. Yes, it's a bit of faded grandeur and it could have done with a lick of paint and new carpet, but it's quirkiness and shabby chic just added to its charm. The kitchen was a full size one, not just a kitchenette and even had a washing machine (but sadly no dishwasher). It was kitted out with enough crockery/utensils to cook our Christmas lunch. Plenty of heating and hot water, good shower as well. The lighting in the bathroom wasn't great and I'd advise bringing a shaving mirror to set up where there's more light (kitchen). It was very quiet and the sea views were fantastic.
The Grand itself is a wonderful building with staff to match. The lady at reception treated us to a mini tour and told us all about the history. It was busy with Christmas events, so we didn't get much of a chance to try the facillities, although we did have a meal in Keppels which was very good.
We will definitely be coming back in the low season (the rates are well worth it) and maybe we'll try the refurbished suites this time, just to compare.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PhilbeachTraveller
Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Grand, responded to this review, 2 January 2012
Dear PhilbeachTraveller,
Thank you for your glowing review of The Grand, our first of 2012!
I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found the facilities, food & staff to your liking, and that the high volume of busy Christmas events being held throughout your stay did not impact your experience with us in any way.
Finally it is my pleasure to inform you that we are in the process of redecorating our suites, including the suite of your stay.
I look forward to welcoming you back to The Grand in the future,

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2011

Wonderful, spacious apartments, tremendous value and fabulous sea views

Room Tip: Ask for the Dorchester apartment
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank MarianReed
Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Grand, responded to this review, 3 December 2011
Dear MarianReed,
Thank you for a glowing review - short, punchy and to the point, just how i like it!
On behalf of myself and my staff, we look forward to welcoming you back to The Grand in the near future.

Kent UK
Reviewed 20 October 2011

We married at The Grand in August and had the most wonderful day. The staff could not of been more helpful to ensure all of our guests needs were catered for. It was the most wonderful day and we would like to thank all of the Grands staff for making our day so wonderful!!! The only thing we found was the tariffs to stay 1night were quite expensive but for a short break worked out quite reasonable. Thanks again!

• Stayed August 2011
2 Thank tiggerrrrr21
Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Grand, responded to this review, 21 October 2011
Dear Tiggerrrrr21,
Thank you for your review and thank you for choosing to share your unforgettable day at The Grand with the other reviewers on Trip Advisor. I am very pleased that our reputation as the South Coast’s premier wedding venue has been maintained and I look forward to sharing your comments to my Weddings & Events Coordinator and Food & Beverage team. Finally I am sorry that you feel our rooms tariff excessive, however the period in which you stayed is a peak time for our area, reflected in our pricing which is found to be competitive verses other four star properties in our vicinity. Nonetheless I am confident that your final bill all told reflected the standard of which one would expect from a wedding at The Grand.
I look forward to welcoming you and your new husband back to my hotel in the near future.

Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2011

We attended the 'Magic Evening' at the Grand on Friday. The tickets cost £18.00 each and included a 3 course meal and the entertainment.
The dinner was very good, we enjoyed all 3 courses. The magician entertained at each table during the meal. A pianist played, very well, throughout the meal. The magician then gave us 50 minutes of old fashioned, but entertaining magic. The tricks were pretty good and the audience enjoyed it. The Grand put on many of these type of evenings and we plan to join them again in the future. Well done the Grand. Very good value for money.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Grand, responded to this review, 30 September 2011
Dear TunbridgeWellsDave,
Thank you very much for another absolutely cracking review of The Grand on Trip Advisor, and one i look forward to sharing with my team.
As you have noted aside from our highly successful Magic Night, we operate many three course dining & entertainment event nights all under a £20.00 price point, with our Psychic night a firm favorite. Details of all of these events are displayed on our website and the next, the “Grand Variety night" is being held in November. These nights have operated since June of last year (2010) and have certainly found a firm following. Finally, I am very pleased that you enjoyed the food and our in-house magician, Tim Decker, and I look forward to seeing you again at The Grand, hopefully very soon.

Hamstead Marshall
Reviewed 19 September 2011

I have stayed at The Grand only once- it was dusty, curtains hanging off in places, tapestry hanging untidyly on the wall. The lack of detail in this appartment was evident. However on the plus side, it was roomy, comfortable and the tiny kitchen functional and well equipped.
However, as a regular visitor of Kepples (I have family in Folkestone so there is no need for me to stay there), I have never ever come across a place where the food is so inconsistent! The Grand Burger which on the menu is lush...comes out different each time! Their steak and Ale Pie, again on menu is lovely and is, when it's steak and ale once came out as a hungarian goulash pie (goulash...or something similar was a special that day- clearly ran out of steak and ale). I was so angry that I couldn't bring myself to say anything. I don't like the assumption that the kitchen think I am stupid enough not to notice, I felt throughly insulted. These are just two examples but the only consistent thing about the food is the inconsistency whether it be what you actually get, through to the portion size and the time it takes to come to the table. The other thing that really annoys me is the food is made with quality ingredients yet their sauces/ condiments are dire!! The tomato kechup is very bad catering ketchup (oh yes it is Mr Manager) and tastes of vinegar, bringing down the overall quality of the plate- such a shame and is it really worth the extra pennies saving? Surely the condiments should match the quality of the ingredients used?
Sometimes the bar gets very busy and clearly understaffed. I am agog that in an establishment of this size there is no duty management in place to oversee the Hotel, bar and restaurant.
On a high note, Mark (F&B Manager) is fabulous as is Joe and it's such a shame the sisters have gone...they were amazing.
The staff are lovely in Kepples, they really do go the extra mile to please. So much so, that complaining is embarassing.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank BusterFleur
Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Grand, responded to this review, 23 September 2011
Dear BusterFleur,
Thank you so much for your review. I am terribly disappointed to have read your comments as the vast amount of our guests find the food quality and consistency at The Grand to be far better than those you have reported. Doubly disappointing is that your comments come so close following our recent and positive review for food featured within Kent Life Magazine. I have immediately investigated your comments with my Head Chef and would confirm that our Steak & Grand Ale pie is a firm favorite with our diners and certainly we strive to ensure its quality. I would also like to assure you that the kitchen team has the highest respect for our customers and that at no point would we substitute our pie filling for goulash (an item which only occasionally features as a special).
Regarding your visits and dissatisfaction, I am sorry that you did not raise your concerns with a member of my team, thus depriving us of the opportunity to resolve them to your complete satisfaction.
Regarding your rooms comments I am happy to report that we are now in process of redecoration of all of our suites and we look forward to their unveiling.
I would hate for you to have a negative impression of The Grand, especially as your review suggests you visit us regularly so perhaps you would be so kind as to contact me directly on rr@grand-uk.com so I can personally resolve your issues. Thank you once again for your constructive comments and I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.