“Not so grand”
Review of The Grand

London, United Kingdom
“Not so grand”
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Fantastic location with great views and pleasant staff. There is a lot of history to the building, much of which has been retained in the decor of the public rooms showing a lot of craftmanship from a bygone age and I completely approve of. Sadly maintainence is poor and completely lets down the potential of this place to be very special. The website says it is a hotel but seems to be more a building of self catering suites. Once passed reception there is a musty feel to the place as if it needs a good airing and the room was much the same.

My wife and I were in the Frogholt suite for a weekend and expected it to be well appointed. It was big but the furniture was mismatched and the decor did not look like it had been touched this side of the millennium. Paint was peeling around the windows, one of the sash cords was broken and looked like it had been for some time. Part of the window cill outside was complete rotted. It was not a welcoming experience and beyond tired in appearance. It was novel to see some old style round pin sockets and was an indication to the lack of care about the appearance that these had not been taken out decades ago. What is strange is that the lounge had a huge rug, furniture and settee that must have been very expensive and in total contrast with the standard of decoration.

The bathroom was a mix of styles from the 70s and 80s, the shower fitting was too low to get under without bending, if and when you could get it to stay in one position. So frustrating, how is it such things don't get fixed? You get one each bath gel and shampoo left in the room and the rooms do not get made up during the course of a weekend stay so they are not replenished, towells not changed or the beds made. In fairness on the website it does tell you this. On the plus side, the beds were comfortable the room was quiet and there was plenty of hot water.

We only had breakfast at the hotel. It is extra to the room rate was freshly cooked and good value. The Keppels bar is said to have a "London style wine bar feel". Which one? It wasn't unpleasant, service was fine but again tired decor and furnishings. I imagine some one furnished this place about 30 years ago with a view to use high quality products that would last a long time. They have, the‘re comfortable but dated and from a time when style, in retrospect, was not great.

I feel more sad about this place than annoyed because it could be so much better. They put on a lot of events in the Hotel and Folkestone itself always has something on the go. Eurotunnel is close and there are major plans to redevelope the Harbour area which should see a lot on new people visiting. A lot of effort has gone into Folkestone over the last few years with improvement in the town and Leas areas making it a nice place to visit.

The Grand needs to catch up if it wants to benefit, I would like to come back and see it refurbished. To my mind they don't need huge suites, they need rooms then they could fit more people in and get a better spend per head. There seems to be plenty of space to fit a gym, spa and pool which is now fairly standard for a big hotel and would encourage people to use the facilities within the hotel. All my wife and wanted to do was get out. Who wants to pay GBP 295.00 for a weekend and self cater? If you can afford that you would eat out. Their business model, my opinion!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mark H
Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Grand, responded to this review, 2 August 2012
Dear Mark H,
Thank you for your review of The Grand. I regret that I was not made aware of your comments when you stayed with us which deprived me of any opportunity to resolve them.
I am sorry that you found the website, description of the premises and the premises itself to not be to the standard that the vast majority of our guests compliment us on, however I am confident that the business model adopted by The Grand has successfully struck a cord with the majority of our clients and guests.
Finally I am very surprised to read your comments regarding our Keppels Wine Bar as we fully redecorated the outlet in January of this year; Keppels is an outlet that regularly receives positive feedback (including on this very site) and I am disappointed that on this rare occasion the outlet failed to live up to expectations.
I trust that I have provided comments in response to your comments raised however please don’t hesitate to contact me directly at The Grand should you wish.
My staff and I look forward to your next visit to The Grand,

The Grand

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2012

I have been staying in the grand for nearly 20 years. The building is nothing short of incredible, with a history and culture to go with it. Its location is ideal for families, friends and couples with the wide expanse of the Leas literally on the doorstep.
The apartments that have not been modernised do require some tolerance re fixtures and fittings, but the proportions of the rooms can be jaw dropping.
On our latest stay we had reason to speak to the management about our accomadation, the Hythe appartment which I don't think matches the quality of the others on offer. We went for this initially as it is the only 3 bedroomed appartment. Our issue was resolved perfectly, without question by the management, a rarity these days.

Room Tip: Sea front appartments obviously have the best views, but the modernised garden appartments with thei...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank JamesF76
Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Grand, responded to this review, 23 July 2012
Dear JamesF76

Thank you for your kind review of The Grand.
I am pleased that we were able to resolve your issues swiftly and to your complete satisfaction and I thank you for highlighting that in your review.

My staff and I look forward to your next visit to The Grand,

Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2012

Just returned from a three day break at the grand staying i nthe Frognal Suite. Looking at the negative points: first the decor of the room was what might be described as tired and oudated, a beige water basin being an example.No flash bathroom products and the usual coffee tubes and tea bags However on the plus size the suite was of a very good size a seperate bedroom and a sitting room with TV,dining table, couches and chairs and a lot of space, a seperate kitchen basically but fully equipped and an unrivalled view straight out to sea. Prices reasonable for breakfast and sandwiches and meals and comparable with prices in the town. At present prices the Grand is a bargain at all levels but especially if you wish to self cater. Or just want enjoy a cup of coffee in comfort. We have stayed at a number of Folkestone hotels over a number of years none of which offer this much at this price.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LenandMandy
Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Grand, responded to this review, 18 July 2012
Dear LenandMandy,
Thank you for your review of your recent experience at The Grand and thank you for highlighting our competitive price structure and value for money verses, as you say, the number of (other) Folkestone hotels you have stayed in.

I am sorry that you felt the décor in the room to be outdated, however as a Grade 2 listed building and heritage site we attempt to ensure that everything is kept within the period in which the property was built ensuring our rooms are expansive, vintage and ideal for relaxation.

Thank you again for your review and on behalf of myself and my team I look forward to welcoming you back to The Grand in the near future.

Folkestone
Reviewed 25 May 2012

I took a group of students who are interested in working in the hospitality industry on a tour of the hotel. We were met by the General Manager and the Bar and Catering Manager, who were both extremely welcoming, informative, and enthusiastic in inspiring the students.

The ambience of the hotel was a delicious mixture of luxury and comfort, with beautiful oak panelled stairways and and an indoor garden complete with licenced baptismal font!

A lovely hotel with fantastic views over the channel and high standards of customer service and employee support and development.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank folkestonetutor
Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Grand, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
Dear folkestonetutor,

Thank you for your very kind review. On behalf of myself and the F&B Manager I am very pleased that we were able to assist on this initiative and I look forward to welcoming you all back to The Grand very soon.

Reviewed 13 May 2012 via mobile

Upon arrival I was very happy and very exciter to be staying there but once I got to my room I was very dissapointed. We were in foxfeild suite and it smelt must my and was very dusty. Our beds where put together which ment there was a duo in the middle which was uncomfortable and kept us awake.
The curtains let too much light in and also kept me awake. Aswel as not fully closing which made me feel uncomfortable. There where no plugs near a mirror and as I was going to swearing I wasn't very happy.
There where also things like electrical tape on the bath which I didn't expect as it was a very expensive stay with nothing included but the room. When checking out I wasn't even asked how out stay was.
Everything else was lovely and staff was great. Just inconsistent

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank unhappycustomer2012
Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Grand, responded to this review, 15 May 2012
Dear unhappycustomer2012

Thank you very much for your review. I am extremely disappointed to read your comments as the vast majority of our guests find the overall experience and value for money of a stay at The Grand to be far better than what you have reported.

I have immediately investigated your comments with my housekeeping and maintenance managers and confirm that during your stay none of these concerns were passed to the hotel team thus depriving us of the opportunity to rectify them to your satisfaction.

Finally I would ask you to contact me at the property directly as we can find no sign of the electrical tape to which you have referred.

Thank you again for the review and I hope to welcome you back to The Grand in the near future.

Reviewed 6 May 2012

Stayed at this hotel at the end of last year. The hotel was nice but needed some improvements with regard to food. The service in the hotel was very good. The hotel location suited our needs well. We will return to the hotel later this year. Very good value for money.

• Stayed November 2011
Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Grand, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
Dear jenreviewss,
Thank you for your comments about your experiences at The Grand late last year and your thoughts as to our value for money; thank you also for your very kind comments regarding the staff. I shall take great pleasure in feeding this back to the team.

I am very pleased to see that you intend to revisit us later this year but also a little concerned that your experience regarding our food offerings does not appear to be similar to the experiences of a great many of our guests. If you would be kind enough to contact me at The Grand prior to your next stay I would be happy to address any concerns you may have.

Once again thank you for your review and on behalf of myself and the team, we look forward to welcoming you back to the property later this year.

Stourport-on-Severn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2012

We spent a midweek at the Dorchester suite at this hotel and it was just fabulous!
From arrival to the moment we left we felt welcome and we truly enjoyed the atmosphere in this hotel. We were welcomed at the reception and felt immediately at home. The suite was very clean and although very much used and a bit worn out it was more than we could have asked for. It was huge, plenty of room for the 4 of us and the views were beyond words.
We spent some time in the comfy bar, ate our breakfast at the restaurant and dined a few times at the hotel. It was all very nicely presented, very well cooked at very reasonable prices.
The waiters and all the other personnel were really very friendly and polite and tried their very best to make our short stay a rememorable one! There is nothing negative to say about this place! Thanks to everyone who served us and made us feel welcome and at home!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Viv11_11
Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Grand, responded to this review, 23 April 2012
Dear Viv11_11
Thank you for an exceptional review of The Grand. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay in one of our period suites.
I will take great pleasure in sharing your feedback with the full team at the property and greatly look forward to welcoming you back to The Grand in the near future.

Finally, thank you for appending photos of the property to your review, they look stunning.