Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Sandgate Hotel(Sandgate)
View Hotel
All reviewsthe palm courtkeppels barself cateringthe penthousedorchester suitedownton abbeypianist playingdrawing roomcream tealives up to its namegrand pianowedding coordinatorbeautiful seabeautiful buildinglike stepping back in timewedding venuefaded grandeur
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 December 2012

I love this hotel! It's a gorgeous, imposing Victorian structure that really is "grand!" It's interior is decorated with huge oil paintings, plush carpets, hardwoods/cut stone & ornate wood detailing. When being in her space, you can imagine all the fantastic events, people & historic characters who have been before - it's almost tangible! Seriously! If you hate the modern, cookie-cutter type chain hotels that mark our landscape today & you appreciate built heritage - then you must visit!

We visited most recently at the beginning of November 2012 - once for a quiet & relaxing coffee in the Reception area & again for Afternoon Tea. Both were great! The Afternoon Tea in particular is very nice & includes a lot of food (nice substitute for a late lunch)

Also, The Grand hosts many events & publish a brochure each month detailing what's on - and there is always something of interest! They also have a historic tour of the building which takes visitors on a great walking tour of the structure while telling tales of some of the legends who have been guests of the hotel - the tour also includes tea/scone treat!

Again, this hotel/historic building is a fabulous snapshot of a glorious time-gone-by & I hope she stands for many years to come!!!

Room Tip: The penthouse called Petworth offers a lovely, private wooden deck that gives spectacular views of water and the White Cliffs of Dover! :)
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank NFgirl23
Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Grand, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2012

Dear NFgirl23,
Thank you for your super comments based upon your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you found time to comment on our heritage and in-keeping aspect. The Petworth (penthouse) is a popular room with superb location overlooking the sea and I am glad it met your needs. The team and I look forward to being of service to you again in the very near future.

Reviewed 26 November 2012

We have just arrived home from a very enjoyable weekend at The Grand. We stayed in The Exeter Suite and were surprised how big it was. The decor was 'dated' but this added to the charm! It was very well equipped, a comfortable bed and furniture, fabulous views from the windows, although we were looking out at torrential rain & gales, it didn't detract from the lovely stay we had there. The staff could not have been more friendly or helpful; Bernadette & Val on reception were very welcoming; James very promptly sent an engineer when we thought there was a problem with the heating (there wasn't, it was us not adjusting the radiators! although we think the rads. need a bit of attention they did 'sing & gurgle' a bit at night!) The food in Keppels was great & reasonably priced, thank you Bianca for your attention & friendliness. And to top it all, to have tea in the Palm Court, with the piano playing in the background.. Bliss! We didn't want to leave - but will be back soon! Many thanks to all concerned.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank OAP's
Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Grand, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2012

Dear OAP’s,
Thank you very much for your glowing review of The Grand and as a senior contributor, your opinion is certainly appreciated.
I was delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and even more so to read your complements of many of the team here- rest assured it will be passed on.
We look forward to welcoming you back for your next visit,

Reviewed 13 November 2012

The Grand Hotel is beautiful and we were very happy to be able to use The Drawing Room for the wake following my father's funeral. The staff who helped us arrange the wake and those who looked after us on the day were lovely. Everyone was very sympathetic, curteous and efficient. We asked if it would be possible to have a real fire set in the room on the day and were told that the fire wasn't usually lit in there but they would see what they could do. When we arrived out of the cold and wet on the day we were delighted to see the fire blazing in the grate and everyone appreciated this very much. The food was lovely and the room was set out nicely.

There was one small issue of a stroppy cleaner who didn't appreciate us using the side entrance (and showed it) as we had a few elderly people who were unable to use the steps at the very grand entrance of the hotel. We were shocked by his insensitive behaviour as he had quite clearly seen us get out of funeral directors limo all in black. One of our party complained about this and the matter was dealt with immediately and a full apology made.

All in all we were extremely pleased with our experience of the The Grand and would hope to visit again in happier circumstances very soon. Thank you to everyone there.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank MrsCSC
Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Grand, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2012

Dear MrsCSC,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of The Grand at what must be a difficult time for yourself and your family, I appreciate that a review as positive as this was probably not the first thing on your mind so appreciate your feedback all the more. Please do also accept my condolences for your fathers passing.

I am very pleased to read your report of the afternoons events at The Grand and I am very pleased that my staff assisted you and helped manage the wake for yourself and your family. I will certainly pass your kind words to them.

With regards to the cleaner this was a sub-contractor to the business and not a member of our staff however I am extremely disappointed to read your comments and have today contacted his employers with a view of taking the matter forward.

I do look forward to welcoming you back to The Grand under happier circumstances, in the meantime if myself or my team can be of any further assistance please don’t hesitate to call.

Reviewed 7 November 2012

This was my second stay at The Grand. I wanted to stay again, simply because the ambience of the place, and its style are so delightful. The reception staff are exceedingly well turned out and courteous, as indeed is the way in which they deal with e-mail correspondence. The Edinburgh Suite is spacious, warm and comfortable - yes, a little "faded", but a lovely place to stay, for all that. Car parking opposite The Grand is free and all electricity is generously included in the rate for the suite. The beds are especially comfortable.The views over the English Channel are quite exceptional.The maintenance of this building must be a (very expensive) nightmare for the owner and the tariffs are modest for such excellent accommodation. In this particular suite the window frames are almost rotted through and the carpets are in places threadbare, some of the furniture rather elderly, and showing it - but none of this detracts from the general impression made by this fabulous buildling. The one thing which did detract from my stay was some very loud and continuous drilling every day coming from adjacent roomspace. I did comment upon this upon leaving and mentioned it on my customer satisfaction card. The very polite young man at Reception apologized and said it was a 'one-off', but the 'one' was, unfortunately, me! I did expect some e-mail contact perhaps, from management, to follow up on this complaint, but I have received none. Check-out time should be made clear when you arrive, and is not. It is 10am. One small further matter was that TV volume, even when turned right up, rendered the TV barely audible. We had to sit right 'on top' of the TV to hear anything at all. Still and all, The Grand is certainly grand - and we shall be staying there again, I hope. It's unique: I know of nothing like it in Britain - you certainly won't have the same experience at the Grand Burstin or Rocksalt (though DO eat at Rocksalt - it is excellent - see a different review.)

Room Tip: For a truly 'Grand' experience, do go for one of the suites at the front of the building.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Glilla
Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Grand, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2012

Dear Glilla,
Thank you for an absolutely cracking review! Thank you also for highlighting the Reception and Housekeeping teams; they will most certainly appreciate the positive feedback. I am sorry that you did not receive the follow up you were expecting; i am currently investigating what happened here and will revert to you in due course.
With regards to the rooms I have passed your comments to our maintenance manager for his attention. I am also pleased to note that we are currently in the process of upgrading our television solution throughout the property.
As per your review I do look forward to your next visit and please do make a point of saying hello to me once you arrive,

Reviewed 6 November 2012

The chance to rent a charming suite of rooms in the Edwardian elegance of the Grand Hotel in Folkestone was too good to be true. Such a historic bulding, the haunt of Edward VII; definitely not 21st Century accommodation, but a spacious lounge with three bedrooms adjoining, kitchen facility and our own "foyer". We could self-cater or dine in the restaurant, "Keppels". Lunch in the conservatory overlooking the Leas was a memorable experience. Midweek off-season rates are very attractive: check them out!

Room Tip: Go for a penthouse suite: the views are stunning.
Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank JohnKHGC
Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Grand, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2012

Dear JohnKHGC,
Thank you for your wonderful review of The Grand and thank you for noting the period charm of our Grade 2 listed premises, undoubtedly one of its finer points.

We strive at The Grand to promote very much a venue from the period and i am very pleased to see that the effort has paid off.

I look forward to your next visit to The Grand,