“Our beautiful wedding”
Review of The Grand

Whitstable, United Kingdom
“Our beautiful wedding”
Reviewed 23 May 2013 via mobile

This is a late review as we got married last October 2012. I have to say without a doubt this hotel is perfect in everyway. While we had been searching for a venue we were getting disheartened by the horrible sales pitches we were getting everywhere else. We wanted the reception, meal and party all under one roof.
As soon as we walked Into the reception area my husband and I looked at each other we had found our venue. We fell in love with the decor and the feeling of the hotel we also can't praise the wedding coordinator enough who went over every tiny detail and put up with me phoning every week in lead up to our wedding. They couldn't do enough for us.
The day itself was perfect the only slight grumble was I couldn't hear my wedding music it wasn't loud enough. The food was second to none and all our guests commented on it throughout the day and the buffet in the evening was perfect too. It was really good value for money and our parents paid for us to stay in the room at the very top of the hotel on our wedding night ( I stayed with my bridesmaids in the same room on our wedding eve and woke up to amazing views and calm while having my hair and makeup done.
Our wedding day was simply perfect and our guests seven months on are still saying its the best wedding they have ever been too. The wedding photos came out beautiful because of the surroundings we were in.
If you are looking for a wedding venue please visit the grand it's simply stunning we had three different rooms for our day, the one we got married in. The ballroom for our wedding breakfast and the keppels bar for exclusive use for our party and disco. So it didn't feel at all stuffy as if you were confined to one room all day.
We are planning to come back for our one year anniversary in October for dinner and to stay the night and we simply can't wait.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank danie2101
Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Grand, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Dear danie2101,
Thank you for the so-kind gesture of allowing other reviewers to this site the opportunity of sharing your impressions of holding your special day with us at The Grand. So great was your feedback that we have republished your comments on our social media sites.
Regarding your wedding last year it was a pleasure to have yourself, your family and friends stay with us and I am pleased that a good time was had by all.
We have taken on board your comments regarding your wedding music and thank you for making them. Finally, I have taken the opportunity to pass your feedback to Aimee our Weddings & Events Coordinator who also sends her thanks for the kind feedback.
Both myself and Abdul our Food & Beverage Manager look forward to your return in October, one year on from your special day.

The Grand

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Hessle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2013

We had to be in Sandgate to await the arrival of our grandson and found that this lovely apartment hotel was walking distance from our son in law and daughter. We were able to find a basic but very reasonable room and bathroom for £100 a week. There was a good breakfast available and wonderful afternoon teas looking onto the Leas and on a good day across to France. Our daughter gave birth and I was there to see it all happen. The staff at The Grand were wonderful letting me in on the day of the birth at 3am and out again when our daughter needed me at 5am. Nothing was too much trouble and we will return soon. It's charm and nostalgic atmosphere is wonderful as is the customer service and the peace. Thank you so much.

Room Tip: Speak to the staff who seem to be there to be obliging.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Grand, responded to this review, 29 March 2013
Dear Baroness001,
Thank you very much for taking not only the time to review your recent experience with us but to share your wonderful news also. Congratulations from all of us!
I am very pleased that you found the venue and market competitive pricing to be to your liking and thank you for your very kind comments regarding our ever obliging team; I will ensure that John our Night Manager receives a copy of your comments.
I do hope that you visit again soon, maybe bringing your new grandson for his first “grand” experience.

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 15 March 2013

This Grand hotel was not so Grand after all. The property is very nice from the outside and it is in a great location, looking straight into the ocean. The lobby is nice and although we only had one breakfast their it was good quality. However the rooms were a different story. First I should say it looked like our room was originally much larger. The windows went from the floor to halfway up the walls. It looked like the original room was cut in half to make two. Also the carpet was horribly dirty and bare in several places. Also the bedrooms had old locks and doorhandles fell off. I was locked in my room. The walls were paper thin and you could hear the people next room snoring. Also the interior is poorly designed and several people accidentally walked into our room. The only good thing about our room was the kitchen and bathroom. Also the couch was broken and the TV barely worked. Also there were no children's activities but we did not stay inside so it was alright.
I would not go back.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank LTheViking
Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Grand, responded to this review, 18 March 2013
Dear LTheViking
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to The Grand, Folkestone. I am very pleased that you enjoyed the aspect of the property, views afforded by it and the quality of our English Breakfast experience and I shall ensure that you kind comments regarding the food are passed on to the breakfast team. I am sorry that you felt that the maintenance of the property let down your visit. We do have a planned maintenance program in place and I shall ensure that Richard our Maintenance Manager checks the door handles for the room that you were staying in as well as the public areas. With regards to the rooms the windows and flooring are a feature of that part of the building, dating back many years.
I am sorry to say that we do not offer designated children’s activities nor advertise as such, however our reception team would have been more than happy to direct your party to the nearest local amenities for children.

Brighton
Reviewed 10 March 2013

Comfortable faded grandeur of the public rooms. Our apartment was massive, warm even in a cold February week, with a great sea view (if only the sun had shone!), peaceful and quiet, good service and well-appointed without any pretensions to luxury or fashion. We had out own front door, with letterbox and bell, and a spacious hallway. There are plans to refurbish this apartment during summer 2013 - yes, it's a bit frayed but it was fine as it was. The huge old sofa was a great comfort at the end of a working day. It would be a pity if it becomes unaffordable. The kitchen was minimally but adequately equipped - had to get used to an electric hob.

Room Tip: South side have sea views. Older, unrefurbished apartments are the most affordable and well worth it...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank FreshairSussex
Dear FreshairSussex

Thank you for taking the time to review you recent stay with us and to comment on our market competitive pricing which I'm happy to say is regularly reviewed to ensure that we still lead the local market in terms of affordability. I am pleased that the team looked after you so well and that we made you as cosy and warm as possible, whilst we have the exceptionally cold weather, for the duration of your stay. On behalf of myself and the team I hope that should you be in the area again that you come and visit us at The Grand.

De Pinte
Reviewed 18 February 2013

We are a family of five. Although we could manage with four bed spaces, places rarely allow this. We prefer to all stay together. VERY few hotels can accomodate us in one "room", and booking interconnecting-rooms can never be guaranteed.

I found the Grand, and wanted a two-bedroom suite, for one-night only. Sadly, there were none available that night (in February), but would we like a three-bedroom suite for £133?
Would we?! We can pay that in a chain hotel for one night all squeezed into one room!

We stayed in the Hythe suite. It's on the ground floor, and is THE most exciting hotel "room" (suite) we have EVER stayed in. It has three good-sized bedrooms (one double, one set up as a double with two singles together, and one with two singles), two bathrooms (one en suite with a shower, one with a bath, and shower over), a large lounge with dining area (comfy lounge furniture, TV), and a well- equipped kitchenette (including a cooker!). Not only these things, but it actually has its own internal stair case (one bedroom and a bathroom are upstairs), one bedroom overlooks a beautiful internal atrium, and one bedroom has a secret door (but I'm not going to give any more away about that- if you go, you'll have to find it for yourself!). The rooms were nicely furnished (not all with the newest of things, but the bathrooms were fairly modern, but in-keeping, and nothing looked out of place in the surroundings), the bath towels were large and fluffy. We wanted for nothing there!!

We had breakfast in the morning (£8.50 per person- very reasonable for what you get- and it's served, not canteen-style like in many chain hotels), in the most splendid sea-view restaurant, with the sun streaming in (okay, so maybe the hotel couldn't control that part, but it was nice anyway!). The kipper was perfect, the porridge went down well with the kids, and there was plenty of salmon with the "salmon and scrambled eggs" option.

My ten year old daughter's comment probably sums it up "why are we here for just one night? We should be here for a whole proper holiday!"

We had nothing at all to grumble about. We loved it, and we would CERTAINLY come back if we needed to stay in the area again.

In an era when hotel rooms seem to be getting more and more expensive, for a stay in a beautiful, grand, historic hotel, the value for money at the Grand is staggering. It certainly lives up to its name!

Room Tip: No children's facilities, as such, but with such MASSIVE suites, this is excellent for families...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank TrixiesMum
Dear TrixiesMum

Thank you for your absolutely wonderful review of The Grand; I am pleased you found our generous rooms sizes and competitive pricing to be a great value deal and found your one night break to be an exceptional one judging by your comments, and certainly those of your daughter. We do also provide some very good restaurant and entertainment offers and hope you were able to take advantage of these during your stay.

As for breakfast, it's the most important meal of the day and really should be served fresh from the kitchen and not cold from a counter.

I shall ensure that all of the team here at The Grand gets the opportunity to read your review as they will be as pleased as i am that they made your stay such a memorable one and on behalf of myself and the team we look forward to seeing you all again and hopefully very soon.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 2 February 2013

The apartment we had was great for size and the view from the balcony was excellent.The room dated but clean. Overall the stay was great had an issue with breakfast one morning taking over an hour to be served and then only part of it was served. The main problem was the leaking windows in the bedroom our kids were in, we had three bowls catching drips, the hotel when told about this came and checked it and just put down another three bowls so the constant dripping kept the kids awake for two nights. I asked for some compensation for the state of the windows in the bedroom but I was only offered a voucher for a cream tea, this being just after the breakfast issue so I did not bother asking for the voucher. It would have been a nice gesture to get a refund on the room for the two nights of leaks as I did not get what we paid for, and I did find the offer of a cream tea a little bit insulting.
To be fair the rooms are being upgraded and I probably would stay there again (in an upgraded room).

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank john w
Dear john_w

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay here at The Grand. I am sorry that your visit did not live up to your expectations and as such I have investigated all of the points that you raised with Bernadette our Head Receptionist and Richard our Maintenance Manager; both who are as disappointed as I that this issue affected the enjoyment of your stay. I am pleased however to inform you that we have resolved the issues with your room and I thank you for bringing them to our attention. If you would be kind enough to contact me at The Grand i would be happy to discuss your concerns and future visits in greater detail.

Once again thank you for your review

Leamington Spa
Reviewed 16 January 2013

We selected The Grand for my partner's sister's surprise 80th birthday lunch, because she had visited the Palm Court restaurant previously and enthused about it From my very first telephone enquiry the staff couldn't have been more helpful - Bernadette, the Head Receptionist even asked if we needed to have a password to ensure that the surprise remained that way!!

We had also booked the 4 remaining suites for guests who had to travel distances to join in the celebrations. The suites themselves are large and clean, the beds are comfortable, but maybe the whole building needs just a little TLC, as some of the rooms look slightly tired .......

The hotel must have been VERY Grand in it's heyday, and is still a wonderfully imposing Victorian building with stunning views across the Channel, even on a January day. There are amazing photographs and artworks of the hotel and 'old' Folkestone, which are fascinating.

The Palm Court restaurant was reserved for our party, and I must particularly praise Aimee the Events Co-ordinator and Abdul our Maitre D' for their attentiveness and attention to detail. The food was delicious, the wine flowed copiously, and the 'lunch' party finally broke up at 11.30 pm when we all staggered off to our respective beds!

Every member of staff with whom we interacted, without exception, were friendly and helpful and were prepared to go far beyond 'just doing their job' to ensure that we had a fabulous day.

I would unhesitatingly recommend The Grand to anyone who was looking for somewhere with a personality, and not a modern concrete monolith.

Room Tip: All of the suites that I saw were large, clean and comfortable.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Mischiv
Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Grand, responded to this review, 21 January 2013
Dear Mischiv,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us and the reviewers on this site, especially as your visit to The Grand was for such an important event.
I am pleased that we have demonstrated how we earned our reputation as the premier venue on the south coast and more so that you have named individual members of the team as reward for their hard work. I will take great pleasure in passing your comments on to Abdul, Bernadette and Aimee and also Kerry our Head Housekeeper after reading your “Room Tip”.

Thank you again for taking the time to review The Grand, my staff and I look forward to your next visit.