“Return visit didn't disappoint!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Grand

Berkshire, United Kingdom
“Return visit didn't disappoint!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013

We have just returned from our third visit to the wonderful Grand. We stayed in the Exeter, our second visit in this suite, we were in the Dorchester in February when we took an elderly friend with us (she was equally impressed). The weather was appalling during this recent holiday but the benefit of the Grand is that we didn't need to venture out as the apartment is spacious & both the Palm Court & Keppels are excellent; we had a lovely meal in the Palm Court for our wedding anniversary during this stay. James very kindly showed us a couple of the other suites in case neither the Exeter or Dorchester are available WHEN we return. Many thanks to all the staff, who are a major factor in making the Grand what it is. Just a small moan - the shower head in Exeter really needs replacing, I meant to comment on this before we left but forgot. Again thank you.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank OAP's
Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Grand, responded to this review, 17 June 2013
Dear OAP’s,
A second glowing review from yourselves, thank-you- we must be doing something right!
In seriousness your continued feedback is appreciatively received, also is the feedback for James our newly promoted Reception Supervisor and I look forward to passing it to him. Thank you also for letting us know about the shower head in your room, our on-site maintenance team will remedy this immediately.
James, the team and I look forward to your next visit with us at The Grand.

The Grand

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Dymchurch, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2013

We held all of our special day here and words can not describe the venue and the staff. Everything was perfect and the staff couldn't do enough for us and our guests throughout the day. We stayed the night and family stayed the weekend, the apartments are comfortable and have everything you need. Excellent value for money and well worth a visit if your planning a wedding.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Grand, responded to this review, 4 June 2013
Dear Faye_A
Thank you for your incredibly kind review of Folkestone’s market leading wedding venue The Grand and especially for highlighting our competitively priced accommodation. I am very pleased to see that the team’s hard work and dedication to your special day paid off and I wish you and your new husband the very best for your future life.

Kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

Though I live locally we decided to stay one night here for my partners 50th birthday. The rooms were really very well furnished and good value for money . The room was well furnished with separate bedroom and small kitchen. All the staffer every helpful, the atmosphere was very friendly.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Linda S
Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Grand, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Dear Linda_S
Thank you very much for making the time to write your review of The Grand and highlight the benefits of staying in one of our self catering suites. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your time with us, found us to be value for money and found the decor and furnishings to be to your liking. On those points I will pass your comments to Kerry, our Housekeeping Manager and James, our Reception Supervisor who will be as appreciative as I to receive them.
My team and I hope it won’t be too long before you revisit us and please pass our (belated) birthday wishes to your partner.

Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

We stayed in the Dorchester Suite which was fantastic, especially for the kids who had run of the front length of the hotel. Apparently this is an apartment hotel so we had a kitchen, lounge, bedrooms x 2 and two bathrooms and the most beautiful sea views! It's ideally placed right above the Toll Road playground and beach. We took the kids scooters which were great for bombing along the Leas while we took a leisurely stroll. We will definitely be returning here rather than squeezing into a family room at a Hotel chain. Unbelievable price, very good value for money even if the accom is a little dated.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Amanda S
Dear Amanda_S,
At The Grand we pride ourselves on being a unique, vintage of the period grade 2 listed property providing memorable experiences to all of our guests and as I read your review I was pleased to see that this pride has not been misplaced. I am very happy that you found our extremely popular Dorchester suite (one of our self catering suites) with its immediate views of the English Channel to meet your family’s needs and very pleased that you found us to be conveniently located for local attractions, all the while maintaining our market competitive pricing.
My team and I look forward to your next stay at The Grand, please do make yourself known to me when you arrive so I might say hello.

Whitstable, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013 via mobile

This is a late review as we got married last October 2012. I have to say without a doubt this hotel is perfect in everyway. While we had been searching for a venue we were getting disheartened by the horrible sales pitches we were getting everywhere else. We wanted the reception, meal and party all under one roof.
As soon as we walked Into the reception area my husband and I looked at each other we had found our venue. We fell in love with the decor and the feeling of the hotel we also can't praise the wedding coordinator enough who went over every tiny detail and put up with me phoning every week in lead up to our wedding. They couldn't do enough for us.
The day itself was perfect the only slight grumble was I couldn't hear my wedding music it wasn't loud enough. The food was second to none and all our guests commented on it throughout the day and the buffet in the evening was perfect too. It was really good value for money and our parents paid for us to stay in the room at the very top of the hotel on our wedding night ( I stayed with my bridesmaids in the same room on our wedding eve and woke up to amazing views and calm while having my hair and makeup done.
Our wedding day was simply perfect and our guests seven months on are still saying its the best wedding they have ever been too. The wedding photos came out beautiful because of the surroundings we were in.
If you are looking for a wedding venue please visit the grand it's simply stunning we had three different rooms for our day, the one we got married in. The ballroom for our wedding breakfast and the keppels bar for exclusive use for our party and disco. So it didn't feel at all stuffy as if you were confined to one room all day.
We are planning to come back for our one year anniversary in October for dinner and to stay the night and we simply can't wait.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank danie2101
Dear danie2101,
Thank you for the so-kind gesture of allowing other reviewers to this site the opportunity of sharing your impressions of holding your special day with us at The Grand. So great was your feedback that we have republished your comments on our social media sites.
Regarding your wedding last year it was a pleasure to have yourself, your family and friends stay with us and I am pleased that a good time was had by all.
We have taken on board your comments regarding your wedding music and thank you for making them. Finally, I have taken the opportunity to pass your feedback to Aimee our Weddings & Events Coordinator who also sends her thanks for the kind feedback.
Both myself and Abdul our Food & Beverage Manager look forward to your return in October, one year on from your special day.

Hessle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2013

We had to be in Sandgate to await the arrival of our grandson and found that this lovely apartment hotel was walking distance from our son in law and daughter. We were able to find a basic but very reasonable room and bathroom for £100 a week. There was a good breakfast available and wonderful afternoon teas looking onto the Leas and on a good day across to France. Our daughter gave birth and I was there to see it all happen. The staff at The Grand were wonderful letting me in on the day of the birth at 3am and out again when our daughter needed me at 5am. Nothing was too much trouble and we will return soon. It's charm and nostalgic atmosphere is wonderful as is the customer service and the peace. Thank you so much.

Room Tip: Speak to the staff who seem to be there to be obliging.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Grand, responded to this review, 29 March 2013
Dear Baroness001,
Thank you very much for taking not only the time to review your recent experience with us but to share your wonderful news also. Congratulations from all of us!
I am very pleased that you found the venue and market competitive pricing to be to your liking and thank you for your very kind comments regarding our ever obliging team; I will ensure that John our Night Manager receives a copy of your comments.
I do hope that you visit again soon, maybe bringing your new grandson for his first “grand” experience.

Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2013

This Grand hotel was not so Grand after all. The property is very nice from the outside and it is in a great location, looking straight into the ocean. The lobby is nice and although we only had one breakfast their it was good quality. However the rooms were a different story. First I should say it looked like our room was originally much larger. The windows went from the floor to halfway up the walls. It looked like the original room was cut in half to make two. Also the carpet was horribly dirty and bare in several places. Also the bedrooms had old locks and doorhandles fell off. I was locked in my room. The walls were paper thin and you could hear the people next room snoring. Also the interior is poorly designed and several people accidentally walked into our room. The only good thing about our room was the kitchen and bathroom. Also the couch was broken and the TV barely worked. Also there were no children's activities but we did not stay inside so it was alright.
I would not go back.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank LTheViking
Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Grand, responded to this review, 18 March 2013
Dear LTheViking
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to The Grand, Folkestone. I am very pleased that you enjoyed the aspect of the property, views afforded by it and the quality of our English Breakfast experience and I shall ensure that you kind comments regarding the food are passed on to the breakfast team. I am sorry that you felt that the maintenance of the property let down your visit. We do have a planned maintenance program in place and I shall ensure that Richard our Maintenance Manager checks the door handles for the room that you were staying in as well as the public areas. With regards to the rooms the windows and flooring are a feature of that part of the building, dating back many years.
I am sorry to say that we do not offer designated children’s activities nor advertise as such, however our reception team would have been more than happy to direct your party to the nearest local amenities for children.