“"Wonderful Location" "Dreadful Service"” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Grand

and 1 more site!
folkestone
“"Wonderful Location" "Dreadful Service"”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

Just spent Bank Holiday Mondayat the 'Old Timers' classic car show on the Leas/Grand Hotel.
Several hundred wonderful classic & vintage cars at a beautiful location on the cliff top in front of the Grand Hotel. What a shame regarding the facilities and service from the hotel. One would think that on one of their most busiest days of the year (Bank Holiday in brilliant sunshine) they would know how to deliver a good service from their very well known hotel. Several hundred people attending throughout the day. Here are my gripes ... Upstairs foyer bar 1 person serving. Downstairs lounge bar 3 people serving (just). Outside burger bar, constant large queue, ran out of burgers twice while we were waiting, £14 for 2 awful burgers & 2 bottles of beer. One bite and bined. I just feel its an awful shame when this hotel should be a great advert for Folkestone and the lovely cars on show.
Just think how lucrative this day could have been with a few extra staff ..... (and more reasonable pices).

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
10 Thank alanbharris
Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Grand, responded to this review, 30 August 2013
Dear alanbharris

Thank you for your review of the OldTimer Rally, Folkestone, which The Grand has been privileged to organise, sponsor and support for in excess of thirty-five years in order to provide a free to enter annual event for the community at large.
Regrettably your one star review does not do justice to the efforts and hard work of the over sixty staff, both regular employees and agency staff brought in for the day, that serviced the several thousand satisfied attendees both within The Grand and the car rally grounds itself; nor does it accord with my own recollection (I am sorry I do not recognise the staff numbers you quote) of the event and the many letters of complements received in the interviewing three days since you posted your review.
You will appreciate of course that large scale events such as this one generate a high level of customer footfall throughout the premises which does not always make it easy to be served instantly when visiting one of the three bars we had open on the day, I am confident however that all customers were served expediently and professionally throughout the event and on in to the evening. Regarding your notes about food, all of our offerings are cooked freshly and on occasion this will generate a very slight delay, however it is our belief that only the best possible products should be served and served freshly; I am sorry that this wasn’t to your liking.
I would be more than happy to invite your input into the organisation of the 2014 car rally, indeed the committee for this event is always on the look out for new blood, please contact me directly should you feel that you have something constructive to offer the event.
Finally your note regarding the pricing strategy appears at odds with other reviewers on this site who have complemented the competitive pricing that we maintain within the locality.

Once again I am very sorry that you found fault with the event, your points will be taken on board and passed to the team.

The Grand

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013 via mobile

Wow, I can honestly say that I have never stayed in a hotel as poor as this before. A hundred years ago I am sure that the hotel The Grand was indeed very much fitting to it's name, now however that name is a bit of a joke really. In fact I am sure that the builder Daniel Baker would be turning in his grave.

From the outside the hotel is indeed very impressive, but as soon as you are in the building it is falling apart. The apartment that we stayed in was tatty (carpet worn, sofa's worn and grubby, appalling decor). And in much need of an overhaul!

The wooden clad room that my friend and I stayed in had a what looked like a cupboard by the bed but on further inspection the next day the door pushed out into a side reception area where guests were walking past. We said good morning to the passers by but were honesty shocked - this had been unlocked all night leaving it possible for people to enter our room. There was this lack of security for our room, but then every other door in the corridors to access anywhere seemed to be locked only accessible by key (we were given 2 keys - 6 of us in the apartment) making it impossible to get anywhere! MASSIVE fire hazard!

There were money issues regarding a friends deposit and the man on reception was unable to do anything or answer basic questions due to 'the manager is not back til tomorrow morning'.

Another group of friends (we were staying prior to a wedding the next day) had an equally awful experience. They turned the tv on and it immediately broke.

This place is faulty towers without the personality, it needs a lot of money and love put into it and a lot of new staff who are better trained! (Bar the night porter who was helpful).

Apparently King Edward Vii was a frequent visitor to The Grand...I don't imagine there will be royalty visiting anytime soon.

• Stayed August 2013
8 Thank Missaliboo
Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Grand, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
Dear Missaliboo,
Thank you very much for your review of The Grand and the constructive comments contained within. Firstly I am very sorry to hear of your issues with our reception department and will ensure that these are investigated and corrective training given, additionally I am sorry that you had difficulties with your television- this has been passed to our maintenance team.

Regarding your other comments please feel free to contact me at The Grand directly to discuss them in more detail.

Finally, I am very impressed with your knowledge of the history of the building and would direct your attention to our weekly historical tours which have proven extremely popular within the area.

Kind regards
Alcala De Henares, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

It's not a hotel, it's more a "serviced" apartments. No real hotel services available apart of reception.
It's a great location with ashtonishing views, specially if you look to the seaside.
But the suites need a huge renewal. Old fashioned and not always well cared furniture.
And cleaning is clearly not enough with so many and old carpets.... Also black courtains would be much appreciated.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Emigdio L
Dear Emigdio_L,
Thank you for taking the time to offer up some very constructive points regarding your recent stay at The Grand. I am pleased to inform you that our Maintenance team will shortly be starting a program of refreshment in certain of our suites and I am sure next time you are in the area you may like to drop in and have a look at some of their work.
Once again thank you for your kind comments especially those regarding our excellent views.

Kind regards
Dover, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013

When my Father passed away late last year we struggled to find a venue to held the wake. A friend suggested the Grand might be able to help and contacted them on my behalf. Our family was very impressed with the service we received at a difficult time.

The hotel offers a number of packages suitable for a Wake (or other occasion) and they were also happy to work with us to make any changes. The price was per head, with no charge for the room hire, and included tea and coffee. The day of the funeral was cold, wet and obviously upsetting but the warm welcome we received at the hotel (including a cheery real fire which was much needed to warm up!) and the lovely food helped us to relax and remember Dad fondly. Especially as we felt he would have loved the beautiful hotel himself.

I would highly recommend this hotel as a venue for any occasion and hope to use it again under more happier circumstances.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Carole B
Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Grand, responded to this review, 8 July 2013
Dear Carole_B,
All of us here at The Grand are deeply touched that you would choose to share what was a very difficult time with the other reviewers on this site.
I am pleased that we handled your fathers wake discretely and with respect and will pass your very kind words on to the team.
Please don’t hesitate to contact me if I / we can be of any further service.
Thank you, once again.

Berkshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013

We have just returned from our third visit to the wonderful Grand. We stayed in the Exeter, our second visit in this suite, we were in the Dorchester in February when we took an elderly friend with us (she was equally impressed). The weather was appalling during this recent holiday but the benefit of the Grand is that we didn't need to venture out as the apartment is spacious & both the Palm Court & Keppels are excellent; we had a lovely meal in the Palm Court for our wedding anniversary during this stay. James very kindly showed us a couple of the other suites in case neither the Exeter or Dorchester are available WHEN we return. Many thanks to all the staff, who are a major factor in making the Grand what it is. Just a small moan - the shower head in Exeter really needs replacing, I meant to comment on this before we left but forgot. Again thank you.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank OAP's
Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Grand, responded to this review, 17 June 2013
Dear OAP’s,
A second glowing review from yourselves, thank-you- we must be doing something right!
In seriousness your continued feedback is appreciatively received, also is the feedback for James our newly promoted Reception Supervisor and I look forward to passing it to him. Thank you also for letting us know about the shower head in your room, our on-site maintenance team will remedy this immediately.
James, the team and I look forward to your next visit with us at The Grand.

Dymchurch, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2013

We held all of our special day here and words can not describe the venue and the staff. Everything was perfect and the staff couldn't do enough for us and our guests throughout the day. We stayed the night and family stayed the weekend, the apartments are comfortable and have everything you need. Excellent value for money and well worth a visit if your planning a wedding.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Grand, responded to this review, 4 June 2013
Dear Faye_A
Thank you for your incredibly kind review of Folkestone’s market leading wedding venue The Grand and especially for highlighting our competitively priced accommodation. I am very pleased to see that the team’s hard work and dedication to your special day paid off and I wish you and your new husband the very best for your future life.

Kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

Though I live locally we decided to stay one night here for my partners 50th birthday. The rooms were really very well furnished and good value for money . The room was well furnished with separate bedroom and small kitchen. All the staffer every helpful, the atmosphere was very friendly.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Linda S
Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Grand, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Dear Linda_S
Thank you very much for making the time to write your review of The Grand and highlight the benefits of staying in one of our self catering suites. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your time with us, found us to be value for money and found the decor and furnishings to be to your liking. On those points I will pass your comments to Kerry, our Housekeeping Manager and James, our Reception Supervisor who will be as appreciative as I to receive them.
My team and I hope it won’t be too long before you revisit us and please pass our (belated) birthday wishes to your partner.