“Delicious breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Grand

Bath, United Kingdom
“Delicious breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

We booked two apartments, Hythe and Hever, for a family wedding in Kent and we had the most wonderful time. The space allowed the younger members of the party some extra freedom and we enjoyed the most delicious breakfast whilst sitting in the sunshine on Sunday morning. We loved the quirky nature of this old and rambling hotel, with the wood panelling and generous sized rooms and we were sad our three day stay ended all too soon. The bathrooms are modern and the apartments warm and well equipped, with iron and board and plenty of kitchen utensils, masses of coat hangers, etc., but you do need to bring your own hair drier.

Just two points which perhaps could be addressed. The double mattress in the Hythe apartment was truly uncomfortable and I believe that also applied to Hever. The coils of the mattress springs could be felt throughout the night. Also we arrived, with young children, after a long and very difficult journey lasting nearly seven hours and upon arrival, the children were fractious, tired and hungry and we were desperately wanting to get them fed and into bed, but the first thing we had to do was to pay the bill in full and listen to a long and rambling explanation of how the keys worked. It would have been more empathetic had we been welcomed and shown to our rooms and one of us asked to return to reception to settle the account, the majority of which had been paid nearly three months previously anyway.

That apart, it was a fun and really enjoyable three day stay and we would definitely stay again, perhaps in apartment with a view. Thank you.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel would have a view of the sea.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Grand, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Dear sallyb023,
Thank you for your kind words and constructive comments. I am sorry that you felt our check-in process to be over long and will review this with my Reception Team. Your comments also regarding the mattresses in your room(s) have been addressed and whilst this feedback has not been received prior to your stay I have ensured the mattresses replaced and thank you for bringing that to my attention.
I am pleased that you found our expansive rooms to meet your family’s needs and am pleased that you highlighted the charm and character of our Grade 2 listed building; it is appreciated by all of us here.
Finally, thank you for highlighting the quality of our Breakfast offering, it is the most important meal of the day as they say!

I hope to welcome you and your family back to The Grand in the future,
Thank you again for the review.

The Grand

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Canterbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

We have visited the Grand Hotel on many occasions, to stay, have a meal or attend an event, and have recently been involved in planning a wedding reception. On every occasion we have had a wonderful time. The staff are amazing, friendly and very professional, there is a lovely atmosphere at the Grand Hotel. It is an establishment where you enjoy the grandeur of times past, with the convenience of to day. We are fortunate in having had the opportunity to stay in many hotels around the world, the Grand stands proudly amongst the best. This is certainly the one to choose.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank June B
Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Grand, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Dear JuneB,
Thank you for your glowing review of The Grand, my team and I appreciate the words and sentiment. We are all looking forward to the wedding reception that you speak of but hope that we see you back with us long before that.

Berkshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

My husband, a friend & I have just returned from our 4th visit to 'The Grand' & was certainly not going to write a review again for fear of repeating myself; But I was quite amazed to read the review from the swimming team, whilst I applaud their bravery doing the Channel Swim, I feel that the criticism of the way The Grand staff handled their complaint unfair, and if it wasn't for putting a very negative review of the hotel, quite amusing! I don't think the staff can be held totally responsible for the behaviour of one of the residents of the privately owned apartments. It reads as if the staff bent over backwards to appease the group - but to expect a 'free meal' for ALL the group seems quite excessive. I could get carried away & comment on the review but I wasn't there & it really isn't my business, all I can say is that we have never encountered problems with 'elderly residents', we are 'elderly' and so will the swimming group be one day, think on !!!
Thank you - the Staff of The Grand, James, Val, Tommy & Co., for making our visit yet another success. A previous reviewer said "Don't book The Dorchester Suite" well, don't... we love it & want it for ourselves!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Grand, responded to this review, 27 September 2013
Dear OAPs
Many thanks for your review and I look forward to passing the kind words on to James, Val, Tommy and the rest of the reception team.
Your comments regarding the management of the aforementioned complaint are greatly received; I will pass them to the team as well.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Grand, very soon.

Scarborough, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

We stayed at the Grand for a week at the end of June/early July and we were large party (3 apartments) taking a team of swimmers to swim the channel. This should have been a positive once in a life time experience but was ruined by the actions of the long term residents of the hotel Before we booked we had read all the reviews of the hotel and knew about the dated décor and the odd layout of the apartments and had taken this on board (we actually found them ok - you get what you pay for) what shocked us was the fact that above the first couple of floors the building is basically a residential old people home. After a couple of very pleasant days training the team, sun bathing in the gardens and having a couple of drinks for the adults in the downstairs bar we decided to meet up as a whole group in the afternoon of the third day. Whilst sat chatting we began to hear an old man sat across from us shouting abuse, we realised this was being aimed at us. We looked over at his companion who looked very embarrassed and tried to ignore it. Eventually some of the party who had small children felt they had to leave. The leader of the party went across to the old man but was given another mouth full of abuse. This was all completely unprovoked and a couple of us went to the bar to complain, the young bar man was very apologetic and went off to find a manager. He returned with a receptionist who explained that there was none on the premises but one would be called in and we would be informed. Later in the evening we were informed that the manager had arrived and so we went downstairs to speak to him. Again a young guy but very friendly and apologetic, he obviously knew who we were talking about and offered the group a free meal the following day and promised to speak to the abusive gentleman. The following date we called to book a time for the free meal and were informed it wasn't for the whole group but only for the 4 who had complained! This was not what had been said the previous day and we demanded to see the general manager to be told that we could not but we could see another duty manager. We met with this guy who unlike the young manager we had seen the day before was neither friendly or apologetic and we again demanded to speak to the general manager (it was like dealing with a doctors receptionist) the following day the general manager called us on the phone and was apologetic and in the meantime we had again been verbally abused again as a group by the same man and were told that he was not a resident and would the group like a champagne reception. We declined this offer but asked if we could keep one of the apartments on for one day ( it was now the end of the week and the channel attempt was now booked in for the day we were leaving) he agreed to this and we paid a reduced price. On the last day we again saw the old man who had abused us leaving the residents entrance with his dog at 7am (so much for him not being a resident). It has been commented in previous reviews that this place is like faulty towers and this is the best analogy I can give, it really is. Young staff trying their best, rubbish management being ruled by long term elderly residents. There was several other incidents I could have added to this review with other elderly residents - barring entrances to lifts and not allowing team members to get rid of rubbish (following the hotel rules or so we thought!) In the end the last few days we felt like prisioners in our apartments unable to enter the public area's in case we got abused again. Never once did we retaliate as these were old people and we felt uncomfortable confronting them in case things spiralled. If you are looking at booking into this establishment please don't. Had we been a group on a stag with loud drunks in tow this might have been an excuse but we weren't we were a group of swimming coaches and swimmers. Just a last note on evening after the 2nd complaint was made one of our party was sat in the reception area using the free wifi obviously unnoticed by the staff as they discussed our party and our problems and it became very obvious that they were frightened of just what this old man night do next - he has been mentioned in previous reviews as the ' old major'. Beware the lovely old façade of this hotel disguises many many problems!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
8 Thank craftycoastal
Dear CraftyCoastal

Thank you for the review, you will remember that it was I (as General Manager) that you spoke with at the time and that many months after the fact there is little I can add to our discussion.
In response to your comments above I would apologise that during your stay your interaction with an elderly guest caused you and a few members of your party discomfort. I do agree that his comments were misplaced and unacceptable and as you will no doubt recall did indeed ensure he left the bar premises and did not return. We value our guests experience at The Grand which hopefully comes through from the many positive reviews on this site and I would assure that my team are not intimidated by the guest in question and do take a zero tolerance approach to anti-social behaviour.

Whilst writing I would stress that we were genuinely concerned that you had the best stay possible which included offering you and your party a reception drinks package once you had completed your cross channel swim, to which you declined, and finally discounted accommodation when you wished to extend your stay at the last minute. The offer of a complementary meal was made to the four of you in the bar at the time of the incident and not the full nineteen in your party and I feel it a reasonable action on the part of the duty manager to offer restitution to those involved and not those who were not in the vicinity, I am sorry if this was not clearly explained.

In closing I am sorry that you have had this incident on your mind for the past few months and will stress that this one elderly guest’s behaviour was the exception and not the rule.

I do hope to welcome you back to The Grand in the future,

Canterbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

cannot help but reply to lady moaning about burgers at the hotel we was showing are mini there this weekend burgers was £3.50 cheese burgers £3.75 not bad in my opinion good weather staff were trying there best on a very busy couple of days many thanks to all that organised it and there staff see you next year j nutting

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JOANNENUT
Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Grand, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
Dear JOANNENUT,
Many thanks for the review, your highlighting of our competitive pricing and for basically “setting the record straight” so to speak.
My team and I are very pleased that you enjoyed the event this August Bank Holiday and look forward to seeing you at the next Oldtimer Rally.

folkestone
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

Just spent Bank Holiday Mondayat the 'Old Timers' classic car show on the Leas/Grand Hotel.
Several hundred wonderful classic & vintage cars at a beautiful location on the cliff top in front of the Grand Hotel. What a shame regarding the facilities and service from the hotel. One would think that on one of their most busiest days of the year (Bank Holiday in brilliant sunshine) they would know how to deliver a good service from their very well known hotel. Several hundred people attending throughout the day. Here are my gripes ... Upstairs foyer bar 1 person serving. Downstairs lounge bar 3 people serving (just). Outside burger bar, constant large queue, ran out of burgers twice while we were waiting, £14 for 2 awful burgers & 2 bottles of beer. One bite and bined. I just feel its an awful shame when this hotel should be a great advert for Folkestone and the lovely cars on show.
Just think how lucrative this day could have been with a few extra staff ..... (and more reasonable pices).

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
10 Thank alanbharris
Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Grand, responded to this review, 30 August 2013
Dear alanbharris

Thank you for your review of the OldTimer Rally, Folkestone, which The Grand has been privileged to organise, sponsor and support for in excess of thirty-five years in order to provide a free to enter annual event for the community at large.
Regrettably your one star review does not do justice to the efforts and hard work of the over sixty staff, both regular employees and agency staff brought in for the day, that serviced the several thousand satisfied attendees both within The Grand and the car rally grounds itself; nor does it accord with my own recollection (I am sorry I do not recognise the staff numbers you quote) of the event and the many letters of complements received in the interviewing three days since you posted your review.
You will appreciate of course that large scale events such as this one generate a high level of customer footfall throughout the premises which does not always make it easy to be served instantly when visiting one of the three bars we had open on the day, I am confident however that all customers were served expediently and professionally throughout the event and on in to the evening. Regarding your notes about food, all of our offerings are cooked freshly and on occasion this will generate a very slight delay, however it is our belief that only the best possible products should be served and served freshly; I am sorry that this wasn’t to your liking.
I would be more than happy to invite your input into the organisation of the 2014 car rally, indeed the committee for this event is always on the look out for new blood, please contact me directly should you feel that you have something constructive to offer the event.
Finally your note regarding the pricing strategy appears at odds with other reviewers on this site who have complemented the competitive pricing that we maintain within the locality.

Once again I am very sorry that you found fault with the event, your points will be taken on board and passed to the team.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013 via mobile

Wow, I can honestly say that I have never stayed in a hotel as poor as this before. A hundred years ago I am sure that the hotel The Grand was indeed very much fitting to it's name, now however that name is a bit of a joke really. In fact I am sure that the builder Daniel Baker would be turning in his grave.

From the outside the hotel is indeed very impressive, but as soon as you are in the building it is falling apart. The apartment that we stayed in was tatty (carpet worn, sofa's worn and grubby, appalling decor). And in much need of an overhaul!

The wooden clad room that my friend and I stayed in had a what looked like a cupboard by the bed but on further inspection the next day the door pushed out into a side reception area where guests were walking past. We said good morning to the passers by but were honesty shocked - this had been unlocked all night leaving it possible for people to enter our room. There was this lack of security for our room, but then every other door in the corridors to access anywhere seemed to be locked only accessible by key (we were given 2 keys - 6 of us in the apartment) making it impossible to get anywhere! MASSIVE fire hazard!

There were money issues regarding a friends deposit and the man on reception was unable to do anything or answer basic questions due to 'the manager is not back til tomorrow morning'.

Another group of friends (we were staying prior to a wedding the next day) had an equally awful experience. They turned the tv on and it immediately broke.

This place is faulty towers without the personality, it needs a lot of money and love put into it and a lot of new staff who are better trained! (Bar the night porter who was helpful).

Apparently King Edward Vii was a frequent visitor to The Grand...I don't imagine there will be royalty visiting anytime soon.

• Stayed August 2013
8 Thank Missaliboo
Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Grand, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
Dear Missaliboo,
Thank you very much for your review of The Grand and the constructive comments contained within. Firstly I am very sorry to hear of your issues with our reception department and will ensure that these are investigated and corrective training given, additionally I am sorry that you had difficulties with your television- this has been passed to our maintenance team.

Regarding your other comments please feel free to contact me at The Grand directly to discuss them in more detail.

Finally, I am very impressed with your knowledge of the history of the building and would direct your attention to our weekly historical tours which have proven extremely popular within the area.

Kind regards