“A Step Back in Time” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Cambridge
“A Step Back in Time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

What a wonderful place. I love the décor, the atmosphere and even the staff are all delightful.
The space you get is fabulous value for money. I just wish I had discovered it earlier during my assignment in the area.
Will definitely come again and again..........

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank RCE57
Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Grand, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Dear Clive E,
What a wonderfully kind review, thank you.
Quality and unobtrusive service are our aims at The Grand and I am so pleased at your description of my team here as it indicates that we are on our way to constantly achieving this. I look forward to sharing your comments with the team and I am sure they will appreciate them.

The Grand

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Stourport-on-Severn, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

We spent another midweek at The Grand and again we were very happy with the great service and the friendly way the personnel treated us.
We enjoyed the breakfasts and the drinks and food at Keppels bar also.All great value for money!
Being very lucky with the weather we were in awe enjoying the great views from the roof terrace that belongs to the Penthouse.
I have to say that we were slightly disappointed about the size of the penthouse though and we also did not realise that we had to climb some stairs to reach the rooms either. It was warm for the time of the year and so were the rooms. We were helped with our luggage so that was no problem at all, it was just the small accomodation that let it down a bit.
We expected something completely different...had not seen pictures of it so the hotel is not to blame for it as I specifically asked for the Penthouse to book! But maybe it is a good idea to let guests know about the stairs?
We will be back...we love the Grand!

Room Tip: Ask at the time of booking a bit more information if you have certain problems or issues. Staff is v...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Viv11_11,

Thank you very much for your review of your recent stay in one of our two Penthouses. Without doubt the views afforded at the top of the property are spectacular, with the harbour lights in France a highlight on clear evenings.
We will certainly take on board your constructive feedback and I thank you for taking the time to raise it with us; I will ensure James and his team on reception are briefed for future bookings in these rooms.
Finally thank you for highlighting our food quality and market competitive pricing these are areas that we pride ourselves on.
It’s always nice to hear from someone that (as you say) loves The Grand and on that note my team and I look forward to your next visit with us.

Bath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

We booked two apartments, Hythe and Hever, for a family wedding in Kent and we had the most wonderful time. The space allowed the younger members of the party some extra freedom and we enjoyed the most delicious breakfast whilst sitting in the sunshine on Sunday morning. We loved the quirky nature of this old and rambling hotel, with the wood panelling and generous sized rooms and we were sad our three day stay ended all too soon. The bathrooms are modern and the apartments warm and well equipped, with iron and board and plenty of kitchen utensils, masses of coat hangers, etc., but you do need to bring your own hair drier.

Just two points which perhaps could be addressed. The double mattress in the Hythe apartment was truly uncomfortable and I believe that also applied to Hever. The coils of the mattress springs could be felt throughout the night. Also we arrived, with young children, after a long and very difficult journey lasting nearly seven hours and upon arrival, the children were fractious, tired and hungry and we were desperately wanting to get them fed and into bed, but the first thing we had to do was to pay the bill in full and listen to a long and rambling explanation of how the keys worked. It would have been more empathetic had we been welcomed and shown to our rooms and one of us asked to return to reception to settle the account, the majority of which had been paid nearly three months previously anyway.

That apart, it was a fun and really enjoyable three day stay and we would definitely stay again, perhaps in apartment with a view. Thank you.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel would have a view of the sea.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear sallyb023,
Thank you for your kind words and constructive comments. I am sorry that you felt our check-in process to be over long and will review this with my Reception Team. Your comments also regarding the mattresses in your room(s) have been addressed and whilst this feedback has not been received prior to your stay I have ensured the mattresses replaced and thank you for bringing that to my attention.
I am pleased that you found our expansive rooms to meet your family’s needs and am pleased that you highlighted the charm and character of our Grade 2 listed building; it is appreciated by all of us here.
Finally, thank you for highlighting the quality of our Breakfast offering, it is the most important meal of the day as they say!

I hope to welcome you and your family back to The Grand in the future,
Thank you again for the review.

Canterbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

We have visited the Grand Hotel on many occasions, to stay, have a meal or attend an event, and have recently been involved in planning a wedding reception. On every occasion we have had a wonderful time. The staff are amazing, friendly and very professional, there is a lovely atmosphere at the Grand Hotel. It is an establishment where you enjoy the grandeur of times past, with the convenience of to day. We are fortunate in having had the opportunity to stay in many hotels around the world, the Grand stands proudly amongst the best. This is certainly the one to choose.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank June B
Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Grand, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Dear JuneB,
Thank you for your glowing review of The Grand, my team and I appreciate the words and sentiment. We are all looking forward to the wedding reception that you speak of but hope that we see you back with us long before that.

Berkshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

My husband, a friend & I have just returned from our 4th visit to 'The Grand' & was certainly not going to write a review again for fear of repeating myself; But I was quite amazed to read the review from the swimming team, whilst I applaud their bravery doing the Channel Swim, I feel that the criticism of the way The Grand staff handled their complaint unfair, and if it wasn't for putting a very negative review of the hotel, quite amusing! I don't think the staff can be held totally responsible for the behaviour of one of the residents of the privately owned apartments. It reads as if the staff bent over backwards to appease the group - but to expect a 'free meal' for ALL the group seems quite excessive. I could get carried away & comment on the review but I wasn't there & it really isn't my business, all I can say is that we have never encountered problems with 'elderly residents', we are 'elderly' and so will the swimming group be one day, think on !!!
Thank you - the Staff of The Grand, James, Val, Tommy & Co., for making our visit yet another success. A previous reviewer said "Don't book The Dorchester Suite" well, don't... we love it & want it for ourselves!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Grand, responded to this review, 27 September 2013
Dear OAPs
Many thanks for your review and I look forward to passing the kind words on to James, Val, Tommy and the rest of the reception team.
Your comments regarding the management of the aforementioned complaint are greatly received; I will pass them to the team as well.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Grand, very soon.

Scarborough, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

We stayed at the Grand for a week at the end of June/early July and we were large party (3 apartments) taking a team of swimmers to swim the channel. This should have been a positive once in a life time experience but was ruined by the actions of the long term residents of the hotel Before we booked we had read all the reviews of the hotel and knew about the dated décor and the odd layout of the apartments and had taken this on board (we actually found them ok - you get what you pay for) what shocked us was the fact that above the first couple of floors the building is basically a residential old people home. After a couple of very pleasant days training the team, sun bathing in the gardens and having a couple of drinks for the adults in the downstairs bar we decided to meet up as a whole group in the afternoon of the third day. Whilst sat chatting we began to hear an old man sat across from us shouting abuse, we realised this was being aimed at us. We looked over at his companion who looked very embarrassed and tried to ignore it. Eventually some of the party who had small children felt they had to leave. The leader of the party went across to the old man but was given another mouth full of abuse. This was all completely unprovoked and a couple of us went to the bar to complain, the young bar man was very apologetic and went off to find a manager. He returned with a receptionist who explained that there was none on the premises but one would be called in and we would be informed. Later in the evening we were informed that the manager had arrived and so we went downstairs to speak to him. Again a young guy but very friendly and apologetic, he obviously knew who we were talking about and offered the group a free meal the following day and promised to speak to the abusive gentleman. The following date we called to book a time for the free meal and were informed it wasn't for the whole group but only for the 4 who had complained! This was not what had been said the previous day and we demanded to see the general manager to be told that we could not but we could see another duty manager. We met with this guy who unlike the young manager we had seen the day before was neither friendly or apologetic and we again demanded to speak to the general manager (it was like dealing with a doctors receptionist) the following day the general manager called us on the phone and was apologetic and in the meantime we had again been verbally abused again as a group by the same man and were told that he was not a resident and would the group like a champagne reception. We declined this offer but asked if we could keep one of the apartments on for one day ( it was now the end of the week and the channel attempt was now booked in for the day we were leaving) he agreed to this and we paid a reduced price. On the last day we again saw the old man who had abused us leaving the residents entrance with his dog at 7am (so much for him not being a resident). It has been commented in previous reviews that this place is like faulty towers and this is the best analogy I can give, it really is. Young staff trying their best, rubbish management being ruled by long term elderly residents. There was several other incidents I could have added to this review with other elderly residents - barring entrances to lifts and not allowing team members to get rid of rubbish (following the hotel rules or so we thought!) In the end the last few days we felt like prisioners in our apartments unable to enter the public area's in case we got abused again. Never once did we retaliate as these were old people and we felt uncomfortable confronting them in case things spiralled. If you are looking at booking into this establishment please don't. Had we been a group on a stag with loud drunks in tow this might have been an excuse but we weren't we were a group of swimming coaches and swimmers. Just a last note on evening after the 2nd complaint was made one of our party was sat in the reception area using the free wifi obviously unnoticed by the staff as they discussed our party and our problems and it became very obvious that they were frightened of just what this old man night do next - he has been mentioned in previous reviews as the ' old major'. Beware the lovely old façade of this hotel disguises many many problems!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
8 Thank craftycoastal
Dear CraftyCoastal

Thank you for the review, you will remember that it was I (as General Manager) that you spoke with at the time and that many months after the fact there is little I can add to our discussion.
In response to your comments above I would apologise that during your stay your interaction with an elderly guest caused you and a few members of your party discomfort. I do agree that his comments were misplaced and unacceptable and as you will no doubt recall did indeed ensure he left the bar premises and did not return. We value our guests experience at The Grand which hopefully comes through from the many positive reviews on this site and I would assure that my team are not intimidated by the guest in question and do take a zero tolerance approach to anti-social behaviour.

Whilst writing I would stress that we were genuinely concerned that you had the best stay possible which included offering you and your party a reception drinks package once you had completed your cross channel swim, to which you declined, and finally discounted accommodation when you wished to extend your stay at the last minute. The offer of a complementary meal was made to the four of you in the bar at the time of the incident and not the full nineteen in your party and I feel it a reasonable action on the part of the duty manager to offer restitution to those involved and not those who were not in the vicinity, I am sorry if this was not clearly explained.

In closing I am sorry that you have had this incident on your mind for the past few months and will stress that this one elderly guest’s behaviour was the exception and not the rule.

I do hope to welcome you back to The Grand in the future,

Canterbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

cannot help but reply to lady moaning about burgers at the hotel we was showing are mini there this weekend burgers was £3.50 cheese burgers £3.75 not bad in my opinion good weather staff were trying there best on a very busy couple of days many thanks to all that organised it and there staff see you next year j nutting

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JOANNENUT
Robert_GrandManager, General Manager at The Grand, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
Dear JOANNENUT,
Many thanks for the review, your highlighting of our competitive pricing and for basically “setting the record straight” so to speak.
My team and I are very pleased that you enjoyed the event this August Bank Holiday and look forward to seeing you at the next Oldtimer Rally.