“Excellent food and warm welcome”
Review of Pauls Restaurant - CLOSED

Pauls Restaurant
Price range: US$0 - US$35
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Grimbergen, Belgium
“Excellent food and warm welcome”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We went to Paul's twice: first time during the week when we had the mid-week menu and in the weekend. The weekend wasn't cheap, but you get excellent quality, well above normal British standards. The interior is done with great taste (even fresh lilies on each table) and the service is friendly (chef comes to each table to ask if all's well). If you like desert, this is definitely the place to be with a wide choice of self prepared sweeties.

Folkestone, United Kingdom
“'Rubbish'”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Sunday Carvery.. Arrived and seated, then left to fend for ourselves, no designated waitress/ waitor. This was the first time we had been for the carvery and definately the last. If you didnt like fish then you couldnt have a starter. The carvery was good but could have had more choice instead of the bare minimum. We then waited for nearly an hour to be offered what was left of dessert. Poor service, well no service no one came to offer drinks or even ask if our meal was fine.
Charged £50 for no service and one course!!

1 Thank sam w
London, United Kingdom
“Very Happy Happenstance”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

in Flokestone on Saturday evening desperate top get away fromn the Ska festival tried one resaurant which was fully booked. We walked a little bit and came upong Pauls. Very attractive resaurant , Welcomed by their very friendly waitress and the owner , We had a nice table inthe conservatory part. From the interesting menu we chose starters of Crayfish and nectarines and Tomato and mozzarella salad followed by tlamb chops in a rich redcurrant sauce which were really delicious . Having asked fo ra bottle of the house chapagne , because they had run out we were given a beautiful bottle of English sparkling wine for the same price. From a tempting selection of Desserts I chose poached plums with a lovely caramel and cream,Had to have ithe left overs packed in a container to take home.

A really good dining experience .

it was a

Dover, United Kingdom
“Nice place to eat”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Nice meal with friends from work,been here before ,so was ok when this venue was discussed. We turned up with reservation on time, was shown to our table. Waiter arrived immediately to take drinks order and our menu, we all ordered from a fixed menu and all was very good . Would go again

• Visited May 2014
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great menu choices cooked very well. Good service”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Here's how my visit went:

- I walked in but none was on the door to greet me, so I had to walk up to staff who were busy making drinks etc.
- Staff were welcoming when I did speak to them
- Bread and wine arrived promptly, and I felt the service was well-timed. Perhaps there could have been a little more of a break between starter and main course.
- Menu choices all looked appetising. There were some inventive and diverse ideas.
- For starter I had apricot and smoked duck salad. The duck actually tasted like gammon and was overpowered by the salad dressing. It was cooked well and tasted good, but I think the recipe could do with a tweak.
- For main I had 3 lamb cutlets, new potatoes, carrots and baby courgette in a rosemary and chilli jus. The lamb was cooked to perfection. Absolutely GORGEOUS. But the sauce had far too much chilli - I like a little, but this was really hot and I had to scrape the sauce off the food in order to eat it!
- Plates were cleared away quickly and there was a good break before I was asked if I'd like desert. (I said no despite the desert trolley looking delicious.)

Pros: -
- Inventive menu cooked perfectly
- Good service
- Nice lighting, cosy but airy atmosphere (I actually quite liked the lilies on the table!)

Cons: -
- Menu possibly a little over-adventurous in combining certain ingredients which didn't work too well together.
- The starters on the menu all looked very heavy and filling, and were priced at around £10. I'd have preferred to pay £6/7 for a starter that was lighter.
- They didn't sell pinot grigio by the glass, and I really fancied a glass!

Overall - I'd definitely go back. I really enjoyed the food and atmosphere of the place. I'd be interested to know how other dishes on the menu compare to what I tried.