“Average”

Dining options: Reservations
Launceston, United Kingdom
“Average”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Lovely pub set in a quaint little village.
Good range of beers & ales and plenty on the menu.
The food itself was disappointing & although quite edible, It was just average in my opinion. Felt like cheaper ingredients for a quicker turnaround.
Less microwave & more fresh.

Visited July 2014

Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
“Lovely pub, lovely setting, good drinks, shame about the food :(”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Just before I say anything else, my 'poor' rating, is just for the food only, as the rating is supposed to be 'your overall rating of this RESTAURANT'. As a restaurant I think it is poor, as a pub for drinking in, I think it is lovely!

Popped in with my husband last week after a walk up to the Longstone & across the downs. I've been coming to the Three Bishops on & off irregularly since I was 18 years old (I'm 42 now lol) so have seen it when it's been good & bad. The current owners have made this pub look so lovely. It's a great space to spend time in relaxing. There's a large beer garden but also there's some things for the kiddies to play on as well to keep them amused when the sun's out. The car park is large so no need to worry about where to park. The staff appear friendly on the whole. There's a large menu plus a specials board with a whole host of what sounds like lovely food to eat. Though the prices are rather over-inflated in my opinion, so you expect something really special for your buck where you can get much cheaper elsewhere.

Now since the new owners have been there which is quite a while now, I've eaten here 3 times, & all 3 times I have been very disappointed. The 2nd time I ate here I was ill within an hour of getting home which was definitely not good.The ham had tasted a bit strange, but I hadn't really thought anything of it as I assumed they wouldn't serve out of date meat & I was just imagining things. Anyway, I thought I would give it one more try as it had been over a year since the ham experience.....

I ordered the Mushroom Taglietelle which is £10.45 (which is on the expensive side, but I was expecting greatness for that price), which was described as, "Cooked in a lightly herbed white wine sauce and served with garlic bread". My husband ordered the Chef's Cottage Pie which was described as, "Topped with melted cheese and served with a selection of fresh vegetables and gravy". This was also £10.45 which for such a simple dish was once again overpriced we thought, but we were starving after a long day walking so we thought we'd treat ourselves.

It didn't take long to come out which was good. Until we looked down at what had been put on the table in front of us. My husbands looked nice, nice lots of tasty veg, but the cottage pie didn't have any mash on it whatsoever, which is rather strange, just lumpy crushed-looking bits of new potatoes. Large chunks too. Couldn't really see if there really was any cheese melted on there. The gravy had lumps floating in it, so it was out of a packet & was very thin & watery. He said the veg tasted good, but it's not hard to cook veg properly is it, but the strange new potato topping was bland & the mince was a bit thin on the ground & lacked any real taste. There wasn't much of anything else in the cottage pie to rave about. It was just very plain. Not what you'd expect for £10.45 for certain. The cottage pie in the Waverley in Carisbrooke or the Cottage Pie in The Spyglass in Ventnor are soooo much better & cheaper too. Then mine. The only way to describe it, is to have a large pasta bowl full of hot cream slopping up to the rim. If you put a fork in you could find some taglietelle in there, & also there were a few small chunks of button mushrooms. The sauce was described as 'lightly herbed'. I could taste or see no herbs whatsoever. It was just a white wine & cream slop. It didn't taste unpleasant at first, but after more than a couple of minutes of plugging away at eating it, it made you feel rather queasy. The waitress had come over to ask was everything ok, & I was expecting my husband to say 'no', but he looked awkward & said 'yes', then I said nothing as I was surprised he said nothing & she walked off! Ooops, our bad...

I started to feel angry that I was eating a bowl of cream. I could taste nothing else apart from the sauce. For £10.45 what had gone into coming up with that price? The button mushrooms were tasteless & very few & far between & the taglietelle is just pasta, so there was no taste apart from the sauce there. The garlic bread was delicious though. Thank goodness!

Because neither of us had said we weren't happy when the waitress came around, my husband decided to say so when he went to settle up the bill at the end. We decided not to buy another drink & spend any more money in there. When he told the lady behind the bar that we weren't happy with our meals, especially the lack of any quality in mine for the price, all she said was she was sorry we hadn't enjoyed it & she'd pass the comments on to the chef. She offered no money back or anything, & just took our payment. I realise we should have said something earlier, & we hadn't, but it's not good service after being told something like that to not offer anything to recoup 'some' of our money back, even if it was just a drink.

Not impressed.

Well, that's three times unlucky now, so both of us have decided to never eat there again. We will probably pop in for just a drink though as it is a pleasant space to drink in if we're ever in the area. We will stick to pubs/restaurants that are worth the money for what you get. In the future if we find that they have changed chefs, or something like that, maybe we will go back in, but unitl then, 'no thank you'.

• Visited June 2014
3 Thank ABB_IOW
“Friendly & relaxed setting”
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

Lovely friendly staff, very relaxed. No complaints about the food. I had steak which was lovely and the wife enjoyed her curry. Would definitely visit again.

London, United Kingdom
“Perfectly ok for a pub meal”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

we went on a Wednesday evening for dinner and it was surprisingly busy and I would say the atmosphere quite jolly. We were served within 20 minutes and the food was perfectly adequate for pub grub. Other diners appeared to be a mix of tourists and locals. OK, it isn't cordon bleu but we weren't expecting anything special and the service was absolutely fine.

• Visited June 2014
Wroxall, United Kingdom
“Quiet and empty”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

The three bishops has a lovely location in the midst of Brighstone. It now looks like a typical Pub chain with an uninspiring menu. Okay and nothing wrong, just average...

Visited July 2013