“Exceeded my expaxctations”

Ranked #6 of 61 Restaurants in Dunoon
Price range: US$4 - US$47
Cuisines: Scottish, Wine Bar
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Lounge Bar, Restaurant, Function Suite & Roof Terrace. Local Produce. Cocktails. Freshly GroundCoffee. Breakfast. Lunch. Dinner.
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Went in for a meal on a wet Friday night expecting a good meal and was more than pleased with the meal, service and atmosphere. Oderered a bowl of mussels to share as a starter and there was more then enough for two, Fresh and fragrant mussels in a wonderful cream sauce. For the main I had the steak and ale pie whixch was exceptional, a heroic portion of beautifully cooked pie, wonderful hand cut chips and fresh vegetables. I say heroic because sadly I was left unable to look at the menu for sweet. The real treat of the night came with the local folk club which was meeting thet evening in the downstairs function room - who needs bland piped musak when you can round your night off in such talaented company. Unmissable - I'll definately be back for more food ....and music!

Reviewed 6 September 2013 via mobile

Our party of 4 had booked a table for my partners birthday. I had booked through their twitter page. Once we got the braes we where quickly seated and where told because I was their 1st twitter booking we would get our deserts free. The food was absolutely gorgeous and the waiter was very friendly and very attentive without being in your face. Very enjoyable visit and definitely return if returning to dunoon and without a doubt would recommend to friends and family

Reviewed 30 August 2013

Came with 5 friends following good reviews from others and booked for lunch.Then looked at Tripadvisor and was a little dismayed but thought it can't be that bad.Nice restaurant and friendly staff so sat down and ordered meal.Three asked for baked brie which came with 2 slices of bread.Asked pleasant young waitress if we could have another piece of bread.She said "of course" but returned to say that she had to charge us for another side portion if we wanted more bread.Did not want to start fight so said OK--bread was £3.00!Main course of mussels for two people arrived cold--were removed and returned hot--but restaurant was quiet so why did nobody realise that the were cold?
Overall a pleasant lunch but people will not return unless the owner gets his/her act together.I feel sorry for the staff.

Reviewed 25 August 2013

I to have visited the Braes on numerous occasions and was very disappointed with the food and price. The menu has changed and found it hard what to decided to eat but before menu was changed I could have chosen numerous dishes on the menu. I also decided to have the gammon steak along with 2 other diners. The gammon steak appeared like a bit of chuck ham and most unappetizing to look at . It was okay to eat but it as the worst gammon steak I have tasted. My other friend had the salmon and said it as okay but a bit salty.
I feel the dishes on the menu are now overpriced and also the price for the house wine ridiculous.
It is a nice place to sit in for a meal and the staff friendly but if they don't fix the menu and food then I would not return to the place. I feel this is sad as I used to rave out about the whole eating experience.

Reviewed 25 August 2013

Had a lovely 3 course meal here at The Braes Dunoon on Saturday. Tried pigeon for the first time and scallops, would definitely recommend a visit. Lovely relaxed atmosphere, locally sourced produce and a lovely menu with great choice and value. The cocktails aren't too shabby either. Great service and hospitality and I would urge anyone who is visiting the area to try it out and support a local business. You won't be disappointed.