“The tastiest fish I've ever had!”
Review of Lorenzos

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Lorenzos
Ranked #18 of 61 Restaurants in Dunoon
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Lorenzo's truly offer the tastiest fish possible; not just in Dunoon but in the whole of the UK! I've had fish and chips from many award winning restaurants on the East coast, and although they are extremely tasty, they still don't compare to Lorenzo's!

Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

Visiting Dunoon for a break. Having tried several chip shops here, Lorenzo's is clearly a long way ahead of other chip shops here. Will definitely be venturing here again!

Reviewed 28 October 2013

...and I'm somewhat of a connoisseur! Everywhere we go as a family we try and find somewhere better than this place but we never manage it. Everyone talks of the chip shop in Anstruther or various places in Glasgow but they aren't a patch on this place. We've also been to various places in England and in the North and South of Ireland and nowhere comes close. The fish from this place is so crisp and it doesn't fall into a million pieces like most other fish & chip shops, No soggy batter here. They offer children sized portions of some meals which is great for the kids (they come in cardboard trays. I read the other reviews that say their main meals come in these trays which isn't true - apart from their £3.50 fish supper). I also read the review that said their portions were "stingy". I definitely wouldn't say their portions were stingy but they aren't "Glasgow" sized portions that cost a good bit more. Prices here are reasonable and I'd rather pay a fair price for a normal portion of great food than a huge portion of rubbish food!

I think as a family we have tried everything on the menu and a few things that aren't on the menu! The friers and serving staff and friendly and helpful. Friday and Saturday nights can get very busy so be prepared for a bit of a wait on orders in the shop or for delivery as they are a popular place. It's worth it though.

I either buy the £3.50 small fish supper which comes in a smaller tray with one fish or the £5.60 two fish supper with a decent sized portion of chips in a larger tray which is great value and more than enough for me. The kids get either a kids sausage or a kids half battered pizza (no way my daughter can finish a half pizza in batter with chips!) The quality of chips in this place is second to none and compared to the local opposition it beats them hands down. This is the only place that I've tried locally that hasn't got those horrible black bits on their chips which looks like they've dumped pepper on them!

I'm lucky enough to have this chippy locally to me and I'd recommend it to anyone that was visiting.

Things to try, Their fish! Either a normal fish supper but the special fish is equally delicious! If you want just a quick snack, ask for a chip roll £1.20 and a great filler.

As I've said before I don't like giving 5* reviews on trip advisor as I believe there is always room for improvement, but both Lorenzo's Dunoon and Anatolia Glasgow have 5*s from me as I cannot see what they can do to improve their food.

1  Thank BeakerMeep
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Food is OK, no complaints. But don't underand why the portions have to be so mean. There are so few chips in each portion, even my small children are often left needing more. Really, chips are so cheap to make (or buy) that surely it's a bit obvious that giving a bigger portion makes you look generous, keeps the customers happy, whilst costing you next to nothing. Very, very tiny portions.

1  Thank Dunoon1
Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

Visited this traditional style chippy whilst on a short break with family. I went on the recommendations on this site. Whilst the fish supper was tasty, there was a distinct lack of chips. They use the shallow card trays, and were only just filled.

They aren't the cheapest I've seen either, so consider these issues if important to you, £5.60 for a two fish supper.