“Exceptional Hotel”

Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Dunoon
Sandbank, null, United Kingdom
“Exceptional Hotel”
Reviewed 16 November 2012

Got married in The Esplanade Hotel on the 3rd November. Quite possibly the best service I have ever received in a hotel or anywhere. From food to rooms to service to quality of staff. Second to none. Absolutely fantatic. Also wedding planner Laura takes top marks.

2 Thank Graham B
Esplanade704070, General Manager at Esplanade Hotel, responded to this review, 21 November 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback on our hotel through Trip advisor. We are happy to learn that your stay at our hotel was up to your expectations and that we were able to make your stay memorable by providing you the positive experience we endeavor to give to all our valued guests. We will make sure that your comments are shared to all the Staff. The positive ratings you gave us on Trip advisor are greatly appreciated and we hope we have the opportunity to be at your service again in the near future.

In the meantime if there is anything we can do to assist you please do not hesitate to contact us directly at 01369 704070 or please email me at manoj@sgehotels.com

Cancar Manoj

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
Reviewed 15 November 2012

This hotel has a string of good reviews and my experience of it reflects those experiences except in one regard.
The hotel is bright,well decorated and meticulously clean.Much of the furniture however is very tired and there is no clear theme in any of the decoration which makes it clear that this is a 2 Star hotel.
There is a lift and free WiFi that is very weak and only on the ground floor.There is only a very small lounge area with views to the sea.Parking is likely to be limited.
It is important to specify a room at the front of the hotel with a sea view at least.Other rooms at the back are likely to have frosted glass windows with no view whatever.
There are a cluster of rooms off the narrow entrance lobby (the entrance to the hotel is at the rear of the building and not at the front as shown in photographs).These rooms are clean but very small with a tiny en-suite shower room about 3 feet wide presenting a struggle to wash & shower comfortably.The bathroom suites are new however.The biggest problems with these rooms is the constant noise up to midnight of people going to and fro from the hotel entrance to reception.
Food is plain but well presented and dining room staff are courteous and efficient.
The hotel caters for coach parties most of whom are elderly but surprisingly boisterous - at times noisy.
This hotel is good for a comfortable stay of a few days probably as a base for touring around Argyle & Bute.

Room Tip: Make sure you have a room with a sea view.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Regret to know that room doesnt meet your expectations.this experience in the eplsnade hotel is isolated.

I would be delighted if you would give us another opportunity to serve you and show you that what you have experienced is not regular practice at the Esplanade Hotel.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

In the meantime if there is anything we can do to assist you. please do not hesitate to contact me directly at 01369 704070 or please email me at manoj@sgehotels.com

Dumbarton
Reviewed 13 November 2012

We stayed there on Sat 10th November. This was our 2nd visit and we would definitely recommend this hotel. The sea view rooms are lovely and ours had recently been refurbished by the look of it. The staff are all very friendly and helpful. The manager went out of his way to get us a quick dinner before we went out on Sat evening and it was very nice. We hope to return again in the near future.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view

Cancar Manoj
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 November 2012

Visited here with my partner and my 90 year old Mum and was very impressed by the service. My mother has to use a wheelchair - although she can manage a few steps (which there are down to the restaurant) As soon as staff realised this they changed our allocated table in the dining room and the reserved single room to reduce the number of steps my mother would need to negotiate. We were on a LateRooms deal which was a very reasonalble £83 each for 2 nights DB&B. The bedrooms and the public rooms are all clean and tidy. The food was fairly basic but tasty. Portions were good - breakfast and dinner. Service in the dining room and the bar was very good. All of the staff were very helpful. The hotel is ideally situated on the front just past the ferry terminal it's a short walk into the main town. Highly recommended but bear in mind it's not totally wheelchair friendly if that is an issue (there is a lift to all floors)

Room Tip: Avoid the ground floor as the rooms are on the main corridor in and out of the hotel so may be noisy...
1 Thank RobertMary
Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay at The Esplanade Hotel. Appreciative feedback such as yours inspires us to consistently provide our guests with the superior level of service they have come to expect from our Hotel.

Reviewed 6 November 2012

My wife booked a holiday for our anniversary.i must say this was the best hotel I ever stayed so far.as my wife told them upon booking the room that its our anniversary they upgraded our room to beautiful sea view rom and bottle of wine in the room and surprised us.staff are so friendly that we felt home away from home.i was talking to the manager and he offered me Christmas package and I felt so welcoming that I booked my Christmas break.looking forward to see you all again..keep up all good work

• Stayed November 2012
Esplanade704070, General Manager at Esplanade Hotel, responded to this review, 15 November 2012

Aberdeen, Scotland
Reviewed 4 November 2012 via mobile

Stayed in this hotel for the weekend. Nice, clean and friendly. Good food and fast service. Lovely waitress called Mary. Such a hard working lady.
Close enough to walk to Dunoon and enjoy a nice coffee and wander around the shops.
I would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Toshers
Esplanade704070, General Manager at Esplanade Hotel, responded to this review, 6 November 2012

Prestonpans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2012

I'm going to divide this review into the good, the bad and the incredible.

The good: the room was clean, the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was almost clean. The female waiting staff was delightful and friendly.

The bad: The shower had only one temperature: scalding hot. I turned the lever to cold, left it running for 5 minutes and it was still the same hot temperature.

The breakfast was disgusting. Grey, soggy scrambled eggs the first day. You could choose from a breakfast menu with 'starters' and 'main course'. Incredibly pretentious sounding. The second day I chose poached eggs, having seen them at a neighbouring table the day before and they looked decent. I received one poached egg that had no egg white left. Imagine a small, white-coated golf ball. Calling this a poached egg was a bad joke. I don't know how often the sausages had been reheated - they were completely shrivelled. Not liking beans, I asked for a grilled tomato. What I received was a tinned plum tomato, heated up. Disgusting.

I had one lunch and two dinners in the hotel. Twice the soup was unbelievably oversalted - disgusting. To be fair, dinner was not bad, though definitely not great either.

I know that English was not the male waiting staff's first language, but honestly, how difficult is it to teach a waiter to ask 'What would you like'! What we got was a very rude, unfriendly 'What do you want' without a smile. I almost felt like apologising to the waiter for sitting there daring to want food.

The incredible: I had the misfortune of returning latish one evening and witnessing the hotel's neighbour unable to drive through her gate. The manager was outside and must have at some point promised the lady to put up cones before the hotel so that her gate would not be blocked. That had apparently never happened and when she challenged the manager he was unbelievably rude to her, finally ignoring her completely. The neighbour told him that as a courtesy she had not yet called the police regarding the situation - I sincerely hope she now does. I was shocked at the man's arrogance and behaviour.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Trip Advisor.

Your feedback helps us build our business and improve our customer experiences.

I deeply regret that you had experience these issues during stay which is not a normal for esplanade guests.please accept our sincere apologies about the Inconvenience caused regards to the car park issue.I would like like to reassure you that if you choose to give us another chance we can prove to you that this is an isolated case.

Again we are shocked that the breakfast was not satisfactory as our food always has such wonderful comments. We will address this with our chefs at once and i thank you for bringing it to our attention.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kindest regards