“something lacking” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Esplanade Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Esplanade Hotel
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Dunoon
ayrshire scotland
“something lacking”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

my wife and I stayed here for the late may weekend and enjoyed dunoon very much, however our stay at the esplanade had something lacking.
the room we were given on arriving was a twin when I had booked a double through easy breaks, my paperwork stated a double but at reception I was told they had booked a twin, the matter was resolved and we were given a double with an excellent sea view.
the guy at reception also asked if we had stayed before, when I said yes , a few times, he said he thought he recognised me, but im afraid I had never seen him before, and there was a massive change of staff since our last visit.
the meals were excellent as usual, the entertainment, well, we had seen the singer on a previous occasion and decided not to stay that evening.
I have to say this, as I said there was something lacking, I did get the impression the staff were under stress and certainly not as friendly as before, and a few of us were taken by surprise on the sunday evening of our stay when, at ten past ten one of the staff came up to the lounge and declared last orders at the bar , a rather early night then.
over all, we enjoyed our stay, not half as much as on other occasions and im not so sure of a return, perhaps we got spoiled on earlier visits.

Room Tip: the sea views are excellent
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank boaz64
Gary S, General Manager at Esplanade Hotel, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Valued Guest
Thank you for your recent review and the comments raised in it. I am sorry to hear that your stay was not up to your expectation this visit and I wish that you had raised any concerns during your stay before checking out. We always encourage guests to speak to us if they have any issues, regardless of how small they may be so that we may remedy any situation that may be required. There have been a small change in the staff with some moving to other hotels in our group, there are however staff with us who have been here for some time. We do hope that you will come back and visit in the future as a valued guest and if you wish to discuss anything with me further, please do not hesitate to give me a call on 01369 704070 or drop me an email at gary.smith@sgehotels.com

Gary

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
Kobe, Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

We enjoyed the stay at Esplanade Hotel very much.
The room was elegantly decorated and every thing was in high quality, which made the stay very comfortable, with the beddings, bathroom and everything else.

All the staff were so helpful.
Thank you, Sonia, the receptionist, you made us feel welcome with your lovely smile after a long tiring journey.

We definately recommend this hotel to our friends!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank rimakon
Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay at The Esplanade Hotel. Appreciative feedback such as yours inspires us to consistently provide our guests with the superior level of service they have come to expect from our Hotel.

In the meantime if there is anything we can do to assist you. please do not hesitate to contact me directly at 01369 704070 or please email me at gary.smith@sgehotels.com

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

Stayed here for a few days last week and had a lovely stay.
Booked a Sea View Room (Premier Suite).
These rooms are spacious, clean, modern and have a fantastic view across the bay.
Breakfast was good, usual full Scottish and staff friendly.
Will definitely be returning.
Only thing is car park is small (10 places for a lost greater no of rooms in hotel), and hotel from back does not look that good, but OK from front or inside.
Recommend calling direct a for deal.
Tel No: +44 (0) 1396 - 704 070
Website: www.esplanadehoteldunoon.co.uk

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here at end of March.the car park is far too small,which overlooks a derelict hotel and the back of other peoples back gardens,unfortunately the hotel needs a lick of paint outside,
Our room was small but newly decorated,this was also at the back so overlooked the derelict hotel and back gardens.
The corridors were needing a paint job,although they were clean.
The breakfast was served by very helpful young people,it was cooked well and there was enough of it,.
The lounge on both floors have beautiful views,but again a makeover is needed .
Generally the hotel needs a through overhaul.inside and out.

Room Tip: Front rooms with a view.that have been decorated .they also catch the sun
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest
Thank you for your recent review. I was sorry to hear that your visit did not meet your expectation this time. If it had been brought to our attention at the time that you did not like the view, we could have changed you into one of our rooms with a view over the Clyde. It would also have been possible to point you to our overflow car park if we had been notified that you were finding difficulty parking. We do carry out ongoing refurbishment to the hotel on an annual basis and hope that you will once again come and visit us here at The Esplanade in the future. If I can be of any assistance to you in the future, please do not hesitate to call me on 01369 704070 or emailme at gary.smith@sgehotels.com

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

I was shown where I could put my motorbike under cover without asking. The hotel is everything you'd expect from a Best Western. The views are wonderful but the bar closed too early! Very reasonable room rates (£60 for a double) but expensive bar.

Room Tip: Top floor (3rd) for the best views
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Gary S, General Manager at Esplanade Hotel, responded to this review, 22 June 2014

Bowmore, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

I am now a frequent guest of the Esplanade Hitel in Dunoon when I am down with work. I work for the NHS and the hotel is like home from home for me where nothing is too much for the staff who are all extremely helpful and friendly. Strating with Gary the general manager, who cheers you up after a hard slog of a day at work. The rooms are spotless and the food is good, and the waiting staff also cannot do enough for you. I recently had to stay with some young people and again Gary was helpful in getting me suitable rooms so I could keep an eye on them and they were accomodated well in a busy hotel The hotel is predominently used for coach tours but this is no problem as we 'official' folk get our wee private corners and are well looked after. I find it quite entertaining listening to the coach parties talking about their travels.

I will always stay here now when in Dunoon and dread the day they might be full and I can't get my 'room with a view'. On a recent stay I left my gold and pearl earings on the bedside table over a week ago, I just called today and they are sitting safe and sound waiting on me for when I return.

First class service and banter, keep up the good work. Look forward to my next visit. Cheers. Carol

Room Tip: Sea views are good but the updtairs rooms have also been refurbished and are sumptuous.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Carol M

Lanark, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

I booked a single room in The Esplanade Hotel not knowing anything about it. I was pleasantly surprised by my experience. My room was very comfortable and dinner was excellent. There was entertainment supplied in the evening and the staff were very pleasant.

The location of the hotel is perfect overlooking the West Bay and sitting on the immaculate lawn with a glass of wine was just perfect.

I would stay there again without hesitation.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo