“I left incredulous. Dunoon deserves much better.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Argyll Hotel

Argyll Hotel
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Dunoon
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“I left incredulous. Dunoon deserves much better.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013 via mobile

Let's get the positives out of the way: brilliant location in central Dunoon overlooking the Firth of Clyde; old building with character - restaurant has big windows and full of natural light; staff I came across were well turned out & pleasant. I went in for a quiet lunch on my own on a cloudy Friday at the end of September. Was the first time I'd been in years. Firstly at the entrance there are signs saying 'a la carte' (confusing - no sign of any 'a la carte' once inside). I went in through the bar to an area which I assumed was the restaurant and hung about waiting for a staff member to speak to me (they didn't although it wasn't full and they must've seen me). I was disappointed by the dated decor & surprised by the round Formica-type tables which looked cheap & out of character in the old building. I wanted to sit by the window for the view so was not put off by these details. My own uncomplicated lunch order of panini and chips was fine. Reasonably priced, reasonable food, the glass of wine I suspected was watered down a little but because I was driving I accepted this. The service I received at the table was fine. However, the service at the table next to mine was very poor & overshadowed my own meal. There were 4 people (2 couples of around about retirement age) who had arrived just after me & their order seemed very uncomplicated, something like 3 burgers and one soup. There seemed to be a lot of cafuffle in serving them (other waiters appeared to assist...how difficult can it be?) & then it transpired that one of the burgers should've had cheese on it. I heard the lady say at least twice that they didn't need to re-do it, all she needed was a bit of cheese but her plate was whipped away. I assumed that it had been sorted out but while I was finishing off my food I overheard her say that her friends would be finishing off their meals when she was just starting hers!!! I couldn't believe she was still waiting. I had to go up to the bar to pay my bill - you can't pay by card at the table - and I spoke to her saying I was horrified she still hadn't got her food and really felt for her. I don't know what she had looked like when she'd arrived but when I spoke to her she looked really scunnered & I wondered if she would complain or just accept the terrible service... At the bar the very pleasant bar man explained that he couldn't take my card payment until his colleague came back to the bar as the colleague had something on the till. I was on holiday so not in a rush, still couldn't get it out of my head that that lady still hadn't got her meal! Whilst waiting at the bar was chatting to another customer who also was waiting to pay - doesn't it drive you mad when establishments make it difficult for you to give them money?!? - and was telling him about the cheese /burger story. While we were chatting he was checking his bill and said "oh, as usual it's wrong, they always add things to it,I'll need to get them to change it". This customer had kept on returning??? Incredible! I eventually was able to pay and left incredulous. Does the Argyll Hotel depend on people not complaining & simply putting up with bad service? I was born in Dunoon & it's a place that means a lot to me & deserves better than the Argyll Hotel. There is something fundamental in their service & set-up that is lacking. Quite frankly I simply do not believe these reviews on TripAdvisor saying how wonderful a weekend people have had, etc. They do not ring true. Argyll Hotel - pull your socks up !

Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank JSummers08

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
Greenock, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

Had my hen weekend here on 4th-6th October and cant wait to come back! Hotel is lovely, rooms are spotless, food is amazing and the staff can't do enough for you! Basil, Sybil, Manuel , Polly and the Major (The Walking Theatre Company) were brilliant and we all had a ball ! Sorry to housekeeping for leaving a trail of pink feathers wherever we went in the hotel! Thanks to Louise and co for sorting out our rooms when we kept adding people on. You were soooooo helpful! Value is amazing at just £99 and we all want to go every weekend! Most of the guests we spoke to had been before (one woman had been coming for 7 years) and they all recommended it and we do to !! Absolutely brilliant and a big thank you to everyone for making us feel so welcome xx

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
surya d, General Manager at Argyll Hotel, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback on our hotel through Trip advisor. We are happy to learn that your stay at our hotel was up to your expectations and that we were able to make your stay memorable by providing you the positive experience we endeavour to give to all our valued guests. We will make sure that your comments are shared to all the Staff. The positive ratings you gave us on Trip advisor are greatly appreciated and we hope we have the opportunity to be at your service again in the near future.

In the meantime if there is anything we can do to assist you please do not hesitate to contact us directly at 01369 702059 or please email me at dev.surya@sgehotels.com

General
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013 via mobile

Once again my husband and I have had a fantastic weekend at the hotel. We both highly recommend staying at this hotel. We have returned on several occasions now and wouldn't consider staying anywhere else in Dunoon. Rooms are always clean and well presented on our arrival, staff members are always very helpful and friendly - always willing to go that extra mile for guests. Good choice of reasonably priced food and drink. Book up - you wont be disappointed!! Mrs Mckechnie

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
surya d, General Manager at Argyll Hotel, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Dear Guest ,

Thank you so much for taking the time for leaving a review on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to hear that you have been satisfied with your stay. It means a lot that you have taken the time to share your views and I hope we will continue to welcome you in the future. I look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind Regards
Newcastle Upon Tyne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

Just returned from a murder mystery weekend here and have to say its been one of the best times ever. Hotel was spotless. Staff were so helpful. Food was really good and plentiful. Bar prices were very reasonable with wine being £10.95 a bottle - a bargain for a hotel. The hotel is situated across the road from the passenger ferry so no taxi's required what more could anyone want. I will definetly be going back soon. Well done Dev Surya and all of your team.

Room Tip: Really nice large room in basement with large bathroom and flat screen telly but its under dance flo...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
surya d, General Manager at Argyll Hotel, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
Dear Guest

KindRegards
Newcastle Upon Tyne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

Just returned from a fab family weekend on faulty towers murder mystery from brilliant walking theatre co. Hotel lovely, food excellent, staff so friendly -couldn't do enough for you. Argyll's Secret coast has some of the most spectacular views I have seen. These Geordies will definitely be back next year and in greater numbers.

• Stayed October 2013

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

Just finished a two night stay for Faulty Towers murder mystery weekend great value for money, staff friendly and very helpful,rooms clean and kept to a high standard, food great and entertainment was brill all round fab weekend away and would recommend to friends and family. Best £99 ive spent in a long time : )

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback on our hotel through Trip advisor. All feedback we receive is greatly appreciated and we endeavour to make everyone’s stay here with us as pleasurable as possible.
Looking forward to welcome back .

Kind Regards
blantyre
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

We stayed at the hotel two weekends ago, it was a Freddie Mercury tribute night on the Saturday, we had a superb time. From the moment that we arrived on the Friday until we left on the Sunday the staff could not do enough for us. A special mention to Dev Surya General Manager, thank you so much for the special attention you gave to my Mum. My mum has been very ill this year and you were so nice to her, even coming around from the other side of reception to give her a hug as we left for home on the Sunday, she was so touched by your kindness. The meals at the hotel were very good and plentiful and we all cleared our plates at every meal, there was always something to suit. The table service was very efficient and all meals were delivered with a smile! All the staff were very pleasant and a credit to the Hotel. We did not have our lunch in the Hotel, however any other guests that we spoke to all said that their meals were both very reasonable and well priced. For a Hotel the drinks at the bar were not too expensive with a bottle of wine priced very reasonably. Overall a super weekend, thank you to all and hope to see you all again soon, Alan Ferguson, Blantyre.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
surya d, General Manager at Argyll Hotel, responded to this review, 5 October 2013