“10 out of TEN”
Review of Argyll Hotel

Argyll Hotel
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Dunoon
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We stayed for a weekend break and were very,very pleased with everything.From checking in to checking out! At check in we were given all the information required.We stayed in a "CLAN" room over looking the Clyde,very quiet,with a four poster bed! We ate in the bar the first night,and the food is spot on.Breakfast s were really good too.A very good choice is available.The staff are very good,nothing is a bother to them,very polite.The toilets are spotless.Bar prices are average Yes we will be returning in the near future.WELL DONE !

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the Firth of Clyde.You may also find it is cheaper to book direct with th...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
surya d, General Manager at Argyll Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback on our hotel through Trip advisor. We are happy to learn that your stay at our hotel was up to your expectations and that we were able to make your stay memorable by providing you the positive experience we endeavour to give to all our valued guests. We will make sure that your comments are shared to all the Staff. The positive ratings you gave us on Trip advisor are greatly appreciated and we hope we have the opportunity to be at your service again in the near future.

In the meantime if there is anything we can do to assist you please do not hesitate to contact us directly at 01369 702059 or please email me at dev.surya@sgehotels.com

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Decided to try this with my daughter on Sunday. Phoned before we went to be told they serve this until 5 o'clock. When we arrived there was no one to tell you where the carvery was, on sitting down and giving order for drinks And starter everything seemed fine. Then we where informed after starter that there was no roast beef left and only ham no substitute was offered, time was only 3.15 god knows what we would have got if left it later.Waited ages for starter, when we eventually got round to main meal it was cold and terrible told waiter daughter did not like, which he quickly drew us a look. On to dessert advertised on menu as hot chocolate fudge cake ha freezing cold not enjoyable at all. On going to pay bill I was given my change which was 3.00 in 10 pences said I did not want this I was rudely told not his fault no change in till. over all experience a BIG Disappointment and will be putting this in a letter to hotel. Will not be recommending.

Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank EleanorMc

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback on our hotel through Trip advisor. All feedback we receive is greatly appreciated and we endeavour to make everyone’s stay and Dinning Experience in Restaurants here with us as pleasurable as possible.with great experience

Unfortunately i can see you did not had great experience on sunday Roast lunch .for this i apologise. We will take your comments on board and try to learn for any criticism given.

I do hope you will give us a chance to change your opinion back and make your memories with our lovely hotel fantastic ones.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

First impressions were slightly off-putting - the entrance hall and reception area are very dated, but the check-in guy was welcoming and helpful - and when we opened the door to our room we had a lovely surprise. Room 126, the Tower Room, has full windows on three sides and has stunning views over the river and mountains, with sunshine from dawn till dusk. The room was clean, fresh and everything worked, and though the style was old-fashioned, it was very comfortable. The freshly cooked breakfast was served by friendly staff, and we enjoyed a Tapas meal in the Rio restaurant. It wasn't the most exciting tapas, but was tasty, reasonably priced, as was the wine, and again the service was fast and friendly. A central location and easy parking nearby make this a great base for visiting this lovely part of Scotland..

Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
surya d, General Manager at Argyll Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback on our hotel through Trip advisor. All feedback we receive is greatly appreciated and we endeavour to make everyone’s stay here with us as pleasurable as possible.

Looking forward to welcome you back .

Kind Regards

Reviewed 10 October 2013

i booked a 3 night stay here in september with my wife and we were both looking forward to it very much, so, off we set on a nice friday afternoon to dunoon from our home in muirkirk , a very good run and ferry trip later , we arrived at this hotel desperate for some refreshment and food.
HOWEVER , on going to check in we were asked to the side and told that they were very sorry, but on the previous day or evening a party was being held in the hotel and the family/ guests all had rooms, unfortunately the gentleman whose party it was had taken ill and was in hospital and that the guests had decided to stay on in the hotel and that our room was not available, but they had booked us into a guest house 5 minutes drive away, now a drive that length is a fair walk and i sure didnt fancy the walk for a refreshment or otherwise. we were not the only couple or guests in this position, while we were in at reception 4 or 5 couples tried checking in only to be told the same, some quite irate, and justly so, others seemed to accept it in the end and departed to other accomodation or who knows where.
we were fortunate to have booked this short stay through EASY BREAKS and when i phoned them about the situation they couldnt have been more helpfull , they spoke to the hotel management and then offered to look for other hotels in dunoon and when none were available asked if i would be prepaired to travel further, this i agreed to and within a few minutes had come up with the Loch Fynne Hotel in Inveraray.....and what a deal they gave me.....thanks EASY BREAKS and special thanks Thomas......check review for Loch Fynne Hotel and Spa

Room Tip: make sure your booking is honoured....the hotel should have let us know before travelling
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank boaz64
Reviewed 8 October 2013

The Argyll has a great location in Dunoon town centre with fanastic views from the restaurant looking out over the river clyde with all it's passing boats ans ships. The hotel is in a lovely old building and full of character. All the staff were very friendly. Rooms were comfy and spotless. All in all a really good place to stay.

Room Tip: Try and get a room over looking the River Clyde
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
surya d, General Manager at Argyll Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

Dear Guest ,

Thank you so much for taking the time for leaving a review on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to hear that you have been satisfied with your stay. It means a lot that you have taken the time to share your views and I hope we will continue to welcome you in the future. I look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 7 October 2013

Let's get the positives out of the way: brilliant location in central Dunoon overlooking the Firth of Clyde; old building with character - restaurant has big windows and full of natural light; staff I came across were well turned out & pleasant. I went in for a quiet lunch on my own on a cloudy Friday at the end of September. Was the first time I'd been in years. Firstly at the entrance there are signs saying 'a la carte' (confusing - no sign of any 'a la carte' once inside). I went in through the bar to an area which I assumed was the restaurant and hung about waiting for a staff member to speak to me (they didn't although it wasn't full and they must've seen me). I was disappointed by the dated decor & surprised by the round Formica-type tables which looked cheap & out of character in the old building. I wanted to sit by the window for the view so was not put off by these details. My own uncomplicated lunch order of panini and chips was fine. Reasonably priced, reasonable food, the glass of wine I suspected was watered down a little but because I was driving I accepted this. The service I received at the table was fine. However, the service at the table next to mine was very poor & overshadowed my own meal. There were 4 people (2 couples of around about retirement age) who had arrived just after me & their order seemed very uncomplicated, something like 3 burgers and one soup. There seemed to be a lot of cafuffle in serving them (other waiters appeared to assist...how difficult can it be?) & then it transpired that one of the burgers should've had cheese on it. I heard the lady say at least twice that they didn't need to re-do it, all she needed was a bit of cheese but her plate was whipped away. I assumed that it had been sorted out but while I was finishing off my food I overheard her say that her friends would be finishing off their meals when she was just starting hers!!! I couldn't believe she was still waiting. I had to go up to the bar to pay my bill - you can't pay by card at the table - and I spoke to her saying I was horrified she still hadn't got her food and really felt for her. I don't know what she had looked like when she'd arrived but when I spoke to her she looked really scunnered & I wondered if she would complain or just accept the terrible service... At the bar the very pleasant bar man explained that he couldn't take my card payment until his colleague came back to the bar as the colleague had something on the till. I was on holiday so not in a rush, still couldn't get it out of my head that that lady still hadn't got her meal! Whilst waiting at the bar was chatting to another customer who also was waiting to pay - doesn't it drive you mad when establishments make it difficult for you to give them money?!? - and was telling him about the cheese /burger story. While we were chatting he was checking his bill and said "oh, as usual it's wrong, they always add things to it,I'll need to get them to change it". This customer had kept on returning??? Incredible! I eventually was able to pay and left incredulous. Does the Argyll Hotel depend on people not complaining & simply putting up with bad service? I was born in Dunoon & it's a place that means a lot to me & deserves better than the Argyll Hotel. There is something fundamental in their service & set-up that is lacking. Quite frankly I simply do not believe these reviews on TripAdvisor saying how wonderful a weekend people have had, etc. They do not ring true. Argyll Hotel - pull your socks up !

Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank JSummers08
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Had my hen weekend here on 4th-6th October and cant wait to come back! Hotel is lovely, rooms are spotless, food is amazing and the staff can't do enough for you! Basil, Sybil, Manuel , Polly and the Major (The Walking Theatre Company) were brilliant and we all had a ball ! Sorry to housekeeping for leaving a trail of pink feathers wherever we went in the hotel! Thanks to Louise and co for sorting out our rooms when we kept adding people on. You were soooooo helpful! Value is amazing at just £99 and we all want to go every weekend! Most of the guests we spoke to had been before (one woman had been coming for 7 years) and they all recommended it and we do to !! Absolutely brilliant and a big thank you to everyone for making us feel so welcome xx

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
surya d, General Manager at Argyll Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

General