“great weekend”

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Dunoon
greenock
“great weekend”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

Lovely hotel, good location, staff very friendly and helpful and the rooms were good size and very comfortable. The food was delicious and hot. We enjoyed our stay and will be back again. We would recommend this hotel to anyone wishing a great short stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view. Great views and quieter away from main street.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
surya d, General Manager at Argyll Hotel, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback on our hotel through Trip advisor. All feedback we receive is greatly appreciated and we endeavour to make everyone’s stay here with us as pleasurable as possible.

Looking forward to welcome you back .

Dev Surya

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

This is a great old hotel with many orginal features.My room is warm and comfy and decorated to suit the style of building.The hotel has two restaurants to choose from and both serve up excellant food.I am staying four nights a week up until xmas as I am working in dunoon and I must say the best thing about this hotel is the terrific staff I encounter everyday I have been here and I would recommend this hotel to anybody who wants to explore this fantastic part of Scotland.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
surya d, General Manager at Argyll Hotel, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback on our hotel through Trip advisor. We are happy to learn that your stay at our hotel was up to your expectations and that we were able to make your stay memorable by providing you the positive experience we endeavour to give to all our valued guests. We will make sure that your comments are shared to all the Staff. The positive ratings you gave us on Trip advisor are greatly appreciated and we hope we have the opportunity to be at your service again in the near future.

In the meantime if there is anything we can do to assist you please do not hesitate to contact us directly at 01369 702059 or please email me at dev.surya@sgehotels.com

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best Regards

Scotland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

I booked two nights at the Argyll hotel at the beginning of October. Firstly, there is no on site parking offered.I paid for a single room. The room was small but was modern and pretty functional. I got very little sleep on both nights as the hotel is located next to all the pubs so there is constant noise from drunk people and it is especially noisy when the pubs close. Plus I could clearly hear noise from rooms either side of me.
The shower was either scolding hot or freezing cold, which was not enjoyable.
I was asked in the morning what I wanted for breakfast and I ordered a full cooked one. It was served to me 2 minutes later and didn't look freshly cooked and it was luke warm. It obviously had been taken from a hotpress and had been sitting a while.

I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank mllmscl
surya d, General Manager at Argyll Hotel, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear Guest

I would like to take this opportunity thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback on Trip Advisor and also to offer you my sincere apologies regarding the issues you have experienced at our hotel.
I would like to reassure you that feedback of this kind is very rare and ensure that you or any of our other guests do not experience such service.
Our aim is to ensure that all of our guests come and have an outstanding holiday. I only wish I had been aware of this during your stay as i could have intervened and ensured that you were enjoyed every bit of your holiday.
Again we are shocked that the breakfast was not satisfactory as our food always has such wonderful comments. We will address this with our chefs. And once again thank you for bringing it to our attention

Hereford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

My husband and I have just returned from an extensive tour driving around Scotland - this year have been travelling every month since May including overseas and every occasion staying in hotels. Previous stop to the Argyll was in Aboyne, Aberdeenshire and what a beautiful journey that is, autumn colours and snow on mountain tops, lucky with weather most of the trip. We were a bit worried about parking at the Argyll Hotel but that proved no problem in mid November and we were very happy with our lovely room and views through the large Georgian style window, during day over the water and at night with the bright lights all around. Also remarkably quiet at night despite its central situation.
Staff/management could not have served us better or been more welcoming and helpful , our room and shower room were immaculately clean and very well equipped, more storage we think than anywhere else we have travelled in past months in hotels (one of which did not even have a wardrobe and some no chests of drawers) but prices everywhere we stayed were similar to the Argyll which we thought probably superior to many and very good value indeed especially as we had booked dinner bed and breakfast there. Excellent tv and we liked the way it was situated on the wall above the shower room, easy to watch while relaxing in bed. As my husband pointed out, everything worked - which is more than can be said at some hotels we have stayed in.
If one wanted to to think of any drawbacks a flight of steps up to the hotel and no parking in hotel grounds might possibly not be the most convenient for any guest with physical disability
though my husband and I are not young and had no problem!
The hotel is immaculately maintained but they might have had a problem with some of their ceramic floor tiles that have cracked (some in shower room & main hall) but if that is all one could find amiss then perhaps not too worth mentioning. When visiting famiiy and friends in Scotland we shall definitely want to stay at the Argyll hotel again.

Room Tip: if possible look before you book - check web site for amenities.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time for leaving a review on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to hear that you have been satisfied with your stay. It means a lot that you have taken the time to share your views and I hope we will continue to welcome you in the future. I look forward to welcoming you back.

London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

I will start with the positive, the service was good, the waiting staff attentive and personable.
We were a party of 25 paying £18 a head for the set menu. The food was appalling. One can only assume that there was a budgetary restraint put on the kitchen resulting in the most unusual meal. Powdered soup, reformed chicken breasts, tinned fruit cocktail laced with a dollop of economy strawberry jam to name but a few. The 'cheesecake' wasn't! the profiteroles were covered in what looked like Iceland mousse. I could go on, and on, and on.
The coffee was good at the end, the wine was reasonable and fairly priced. The overall bill came to more than £25 per head for the most mediocre meal I have had perhaps ever. I would strongly advise people to find an alternative restaurant....the staff were nice though. Still I will not be going again!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback on our hotel through Trip advisor. We are sorry to hear that your Dining experience in Rio Restaurant at our hotel was not up to your expectations; we endeavour to give to all our valued guests’ excellent standards. We will make sure that your comments are noted and worked upon.
I do hope you give us the opportunity to be at your service again in the near future and rectify the errors which we made.

Daventry
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

Just returned from a walking trip in Dunoon. We hadn't pre-booked a hotel but we're very impressed when we enquired for rooms at the Argyll Hotel. The hotel is clean and the food is great value for money with the greatest asset being the friendliness and real 'can do' attitude of the staff.

• Stayed November 2013
surya d, General Manager at Argyll Hotel, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best Regards

Inverness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

HAD A FANTASTIC WEEKEND AT ARGYLL HOTEL second time back first time staying at this hotel.....made to feel very welcome on arrival.....all the staff that we talked to were most helpful in giving us ideas of where to go and what to see in Dunoon...our first night we had dinner in Italian n tapas restraunt what a lovely meal n lovely place to eat very warm and frendly staff.....we went on car ferry to Glasgow got day return tickets......we found lots to do while we stayed in dunoon....will be booking to go back next year...

Room Tip: the room we stayed on was on the shopping street and pub side it was a wee bit noise but only when p...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank scottsaway1010
surya d, General Manager at Argyll Hotel, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear Guest,

I look forward to welcoming you back.