“I must say we had a fabulous time.”
Review of Argyll Hotel

Argyll Hotel
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Dunoon
Reviewed 19 March 2010

We had the pleasure of staying at the Best Western Argyll Hotel for one of their Murder Mystery Weekends. I must say we had a fabulous time. I have been to a event like this before and they only had the event on the Saturday night, however at the Argyll it was over the Friday & Saturday night and to pass the time during the day the ran a treasure trail which was great. Nothing was to much trouble for the staff and the food was great with plenty of it to. We will defo be going back to one of their other themes and I recommend you do to.

Reviewed 28 January 2010

I stayed here for one night while working up in Dunoon.

We checked in and were given our keys. I stayed in Room 111, or 'The Cell' as I called it during my stay. I was lucky enough to have a chair in my room - but I couldn't sit on it because if I did my legs were pressing against the bed, so I decided to lie down on the bed to watch TV - big problem though as it was a LCD TV and wasn't angled so by lying on the bed I couldn't make out what was on the screen, the only time I could was if I stood up.

I decided to go to dinner. As our clients had paid for our stay we were given the 'meal deal' package. We choose from a set menu and the food was bearable. The waiters seemed to watch us as we ate, they just stood there waiting for us to finish. It was very disconcerting.

I am 6ft 2 and about 2ft of me was sticking out the bed as I seemed to have an infants bed in my room. Also, around 10pm - 1am the teenage population of Dunoon came out to play and they seem to congregate at the side of the hotel around a few benches.

After one of the less peaceful and restful sleeps I have ever had I got up for breakfast and I never touched much on anything - it was terrible. My colleague paid an extra £4.50 for the smoked salmon and poached eggs. The eggs were overcooked and the salmon looked off...

When we checked out we said about the issues we had to the reception and the woman was useless.

I will never go back here again, and I never even paid for it!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 December 2009

A couple of friends and I went off to bonny Dunoon for a festive weekend. It is obvious this hotel has recently been refurbished. We had rooms 112, 117 and 114 they are very spacious with luxurious decor, clean tidy and with a good supply of tea/coffee facilities. We had our evening dinner in the Argyll dinning room with traditional scottish meals (salmon, haggis and steakpie) which we gave the thumbs. Later that evening we had a couple of drinks in the hotel bar and continued down the high street..McClures, the Crown and Sinbads (Obviously a drunken night) We requested whether we could have a late breakfast which the morning staff were more than accommodating. All the girls and I had a superb lunch in the Italian and Tapas resturant Rio which we went back to for our evening dinner!

My friends and I were very impressed with the standard of this hotel and their staff, who were very friendly and welcoming. We would highly recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a relaxing break away, party weekends, hen nights, celebrations and all rounder destination and hotel!! thank youxx merry xmas and a very happy new year will be back in 2010

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 November 2009

Weekend break , hotel spotless recently renovated , food great ,much better than some more expensive breaks I have been on
Entertainment not for us on friday night (keyboard player who did quite old stuff circa 50,s )so we went out and about but main act on Saturday was excellent Neil Diamond tribute and kept pary going till after 1am .. One small drawback noisy at night due to pubs across road even after 1 am so not for early bedders . would definately return!!!

Reviewed 28 October 2009

Attended a wedding there. The staff were extremely helpful and pleasant, food was excellent (best we've ever had at a wedding) and the view from the dining room gorgeous!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 October 2009

The staff were very unfriendly and unorganised. The rooms were clean enought but not entirely satisfactory. The food was very basic and the waiting staff lacked any enthusiasm.

The hotel was very noisy throughout the early hours of the morning.

I wish i had stayed at home and played cluedo as it would have been more enjoyable.
A BIT OF A RIP OFF REALLY

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 October 2009

we chose this hotel as it was the host for a murder mystery weekend, when we arrived we found the bedroom to be nice modern and clean, but the bathroom let it all down a bit as it was dated and although clean it looked old and there was staining in the bath. The bed was on a double frame but was 2 single mattreses put together, even so, i still had a comfortable sleep. the first night was good an introduction to the theme and actors then a male dj/singer. The set menu had a good selection about 4 main choices per course and every course was exellent i was really impressed. Got up for breakfast and waited for ages for a waitress to come and take our order, so much so that i eventually stood up and waved at her even tho she had seen us clearly comming in and we were not the only ones complaining that we felt a bit ignored by waiting staff, breakfast was just average and fried egg was rock hard! spent a lovley day in dunoon no sign of rain and blue sky helped, it is a lovley place to visit. I was really looking folward to the sat night but was very let down. The murder mystery part of it was great the actors really getting the croud involved and really entertaining but the meal was a disaster the choices were very limited i struggled to pick as nothing seemed appealing and when the food came it was not very nice even the roast potatoes that had been really hot, fresh and crispy the night before were cold and hard like premade frozen oven ones also the guy beside me got fruit to start and found a segment of garlic in it ?? very entertaining night but me and my partner went across the road to the take away afterwards for a bag of chips as we were still hungry ! we will be going back to the argyll hotel for another murder mystery weekend as it was great fun and we had a fantastic time in dunoon. Im happy enough to go back to the argyll but i would not go out my way to stay here if it was not for the exellent talents of the walking theatre company who put on the murder mystery weekend entertainment.