“Excellent”

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Dunoon
Ayr, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
Reviewed 29 August 2010

Went to hotel as a birthday surprise which my husband booked. The weekend was great from start to finish - no complaints whatsoever. Staff were extremely helpful and nothing was a problem. Will definitely be back in the future.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
Kilmarnock
Reviewed 23 August 2010

Didnt stay at this hotel however my sister and I decided to have an evening meal after looking at the menu outside and deciding it looked ok and reasonably priced. Where do I start!! I ordered "fresh" beer battered haddock with fries and I got a frozen piece of fish straight out a box! My sister ordered gammon steak and fries however could hardly eat the gammon as it was very fatty. I then ordered cheese and biscuts as I feel you cant go wrong with that and I received a plate with 6 crackers all laid out with pieces of cheese already cut sitting on top of all the crackers with no butter in sight!! Had to ask waiter to bring butter then remove all the cheese pieces to butter my crackers. My sister then informed me that the cheese they used was the pre packed lunchable snack size cheese that you would buy in the supermarket to put in your kids lunchbox! My sister ordered pavlova which she felt should have been a big slice of a pavlova cake however received a meringue nest with cream and defrosted fruit!! The kitchen staff should be embarrassed with what they provided to their customers, obvioulsy not professional staff at all. Would not reccommend to anyone!

• Stayed August 2010
1 Thank bongo82
LauraChristie, Public Relations Manager at Argyll Hotel, responded to this review, 2 September 2010
Dear Guest,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your honest and valued feedback regarding your recent dining experience at the Best Western Argyll Hotel.
Firstly I would like to apologise that we were unable to meet your expectations on this occasion. I would like to address some of the issues you have experienced and reassure you that they are not ones which our guests encounter on a regular basis. I have taken all your comments on board and I have addressed these issues with the general manager. We have spoken with the staff and investigated the issues.
We always try and source the best quality products locally where ever possible, I am aware that you ordered the Fresh beer batter fish; however there was a mix up in the kitchen which resulted in you being served the other fish dish which is on our menu. This is not Fresh Beer batter and I am sorry that this error was not picked up prior to your meal being served.
It is very important to us that we provide our guest with the best possible experience and I cannot apologise enough for the fact that you are not satisfied. Our Pavlova has been served in the same way for many years, however all your points have been taken on board and will be used to help improve on the quality of food and service we provide.
Please be assured that all your comments have been taken on board and we are actively working together with the other departments to ensure this doesn’t happen again.
I would welcome the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.
Kindest Regards
Laura
Skipton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2010

This is an ideally situated hotel in a great location, its near to the main calmac ferry so was very convieniant and easy to find, With shops and an excellant restaurant attached (rio) i never had to move the car all weekend. Staff all very freindly, they couldnt do enough for you. will be back

Argyll and Bute, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2010

This is the 3rd time my wife and I have stayed at the Argyll Hotel in Dunoon whilst visiting family. We decided to treat ourselves to one of their best rooms with a Four Poster bed and sea view.

The room was a good size, clean and with an excellent view. However the room does not have a shower cubicle, it relies on an "over the bath" shower which I dislike as it is difficult to enter and unsafe when stepping out over the bath edge. This may be a problem if someone has restricted mobility.

The staff are very helpful and friendly, especially at check-in.

The breakfast is pretty much as you would expect from this class of hotel, a decent quantity of middle of the road quality ingredients.

The hotel advertises "free high speed internet connection via wi-fi". I have visited 3 times and this really is a waste of time. It's easy to connect via wi-fi but the connection is VERY, VERY S-L-O-W . I waited a couple of minutes for Google to load but just gave up in the end. Not such a biggie when on holiday but if you're staying on Business it might be a problem if you based your hotel decision on availability of Internet access. The Hotel should just switch this service off, it flat doesn't work, irrespective of time of day or month of stay.

Overall, I recommend this hotel as a good place to spend a couple of nights. Any longer and the lack of amenities are likely to cause a degree of frustration.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2010

having been at the argyll hotel in dunoon with a group of people for my sisters birthday, i would highly recommend anyone to go on this experience as it was very entertaining and a very nice and comfortable place to stay, the rooms were very clean and tidy, the hotel is situated right on the waterfront with the ferry pier 2 mins walk away and right in the heart of dunoon. the haunted weekend was hosted by the walking theatre company who are very good at what they do, but i wont go into that and spoil it for anyone else who is planning to go to. i will say the only down side was the cooked breakfast (i dont think there was enough) but on the plus side to that you could have cereal and friut juice also, so i would say to anyone thinking about it GO FOR IT.

• Stayed August 2010
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2010

Murder Mystery good fun though not much of a mystery! Noise from street outside between 11pm & 3am is unbelievable in fact at times it sounded like there was a murder being committed outside. Drunken teenagers & hotel guests adding to the mayhem in the street. Hen parties & ladies groups partying in rooms, knocking on doors & running up and down corridors -- you know who you are!!! spoiling other guests much anticipated weekend break. No management presence or night security staff seemed to be available to keep this under control. Ladies in pyjamas at breakfast -- why? and did the hotel staff think this was appropriate attire? Would I go back not likely i've come home for a rest!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
LauraChristie, Guest Relations Manager at Argyll Hotel, responded to this review, 19 August 2010
Dear guest

Thank you for your feedback after your recent stay at the Best Western Argyll Hotel.

I am sorry that you did not have an enjoyable stay. I would like to take this opportunity to reassure you that this is not an everyday occurrence and I am sorry that you have been inconvenienced by the noise levels at this time.
The Hotel management takes the disruption by other guests very seriously and had they been contacted to be informed of the situation they would have dealt with the situation immediately.

The managing director of the hotel is working closely with the local authorities and councilors regarding the noise levels from out with the hotel. I have taken your feedback very seriously and have investigated your issues.

I would welcome the opportunity to invite you back to the hotel in the future. We can ensure a front facing rooms that will have minimum passing traffic in the evenings. We also have engineers looking into fitting sound proof shutter to the street facing rooms which should also help eliminate the noice.

Again I cannot apologise enough for the disruption caused over you stay.

Kindest Regards

Laura
Sales and Marketing Manager
Larkhall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2010

My wife and I decided on a last minute break, and since we hadn't been to Dunoon for over 30 years we thought we'd give it a try. We booked the day before our trip with laterooms.com and saved £49.

After I made the booking I discovered all these reports about the late night drunken revellers, but the good news is...the pub opposite the hotel is closed, and to be honest the only things which disturbed our sleep were the early morning seagulls outside our window. Not a thing we could do about that !

The hotel itself seems to have benefited from a recent refurb, and first impressions were good, with the young lady at the reception being particularly friendly and helpful. The room was large and modern, everything worked, and even the bathroom, the usual let down for a modernised property, was clean and fresh.

The bar had a great view over the Clyde Estuary, and we had also had our evening meal there. The food was only average, on par with a Weatherspoons pub, but the service was friendly.

There is no parking at the hotel itself, but the public car park on the prom is only across the road, and if you park beyond the yellow line, it's completely free. In any case there is no charge between 6.00pm and 9.00am.

Dunoon itself is the land that time forgot, looking no different from our last visit, apart from the names of some shops. But that in itself is part of the attraction, its a very relaxing place, ideal for unwinding.

The next review of this hotel might detail surly service, noisy sleepless nights, and dirty rooms. We didn't find any of that, we rather enjoyed our trip down memory lane.

The title? In years gone by, Glaswegians went holidays and day trips from the city to Dunoon by boat, down the Cyde, and it was known as going Down the Water, or in Glasgow dialect...Doon the Watter! :o)

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
LauraChristie, Manager at Argyll Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2010
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your recent review, I am delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us. All guest comments are truly welcome and are a vital part of driving the business forward. I do hope we have the pleasure of your company again one day, if you decide to venture on a trip ‘Doon the Watter!’ again soon.
Thanks once again on behalf of the staff and management at the Best Western Argyll Hotel.