“Spot on Takeaway”

The Darjeeling
Ranked #7 of 22 Restaurants in Dunkeld
Price range: US$0 - US$15
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: We are open 6 days now ! 5pm to 10pm evening. Closed Tuesday
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Rang our order in, told it will be ready in 25mins. Drove the 2 miles into Dunkeld, walked in paid for the order and out it came 25 mins after we called. Everything was correct and well tasty. If your in Dunkeld call in and have a meal.

1  Thank Robert_Farnham
darjeeling-dunkeld, Manager at The Darjeeling, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2016

We are glad to hear you enjoyed your meal and we hope to see you back soon.

There are newer reviews for The Darjeeling

Reviewed 21 July 2014

I have never posted a review on any site before but I am compelled to post this one.

Early on a Saturday evening, my friend and I went in to have a 'little something' to eat because we needed to eat but weren't overly hungry. The restaurant was empty except for a group of 4 sitting in the corner.

The staff were 'pan faced' on our arrival and led us to a table. My friend noticed that there was already bottled water on the table which we thought was a bit cheeky. The waiter (older man who was quite unfriendly) asked us what drinks we wanted and I asked for a jug of water (to accompany our meal). He said they did not have any jugs, in an extremely rude manner! I was taken aback at this point. We were offered glasses of water. The man at the bar who poured two glasses of water seemed a trifle more friendly because my friend asked him not to put ice in her glass to which he put up a thumb in acknowledgement.

The older waiter then asked us what we would like to order and I said that we weren't particularly hungry and proceeded to order a few starters as opposed to main courses because we prefer the smaller portion sizes. This has never been a problem at other restaurants when we have wanted to eat, but not too much. This older waiter (with a scowl on his face now) then very rudely interrupted me and said that we couldn't order starters and that we had to order main dishes. I re-iterated that we weren't particularly hungry but that seemed to be the end of the matter.

As we got up to leave, the two glasses of water were removed in front of us. I found the whole thing humiliating and offensive. I have to say that I am Indian myself and felt ashamed that these restaurant owners behaved in that way. It is not good for Scottish tourism to have this offensive service being delivered.

I understand that restaurants have to make a living and turn a profit but that has to based on good food and good service. I don't mind paying for good food and like to tip good service. However, as a consumer, I reserve the right to eat as little or as much as I choose depending on my needs. It seems that The Darjeeling are not up for allowing that consumer choice.

I have read through some of the other critical reviews and note that the owner, Enam Chowdhury, offers a standard apology and states that he will learn from mistakes. I have to tell you Mr Chowdhury that I am not looking for an apology from you. I will certainly warn all my friends who often visit the area to stay clear of your restaurant. You should be ashamed of yourselves to have treated myself and my dear friend in such an awful manner. I will never return to your unfriendly and disrespectful establishment.

9  Thank Gurcharan S
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We booked at this restaurant, with some trepidation due to previous reviews, because it was the only one in the area serving food late on Sunday evening. The restaurant is large, but we were the only clients. They probably do a lot of take away meals.
The food was excellent. The service was quick and the waiter and the manager were polite and welcoming. All in all, no complaints and reasonable prices.

Ian Shenkin
Jersey, Channel Islands

1  Thank ishenkin
Reviewed 6 July 2014

My husband and I visited The Darjeeling on a Sunday lunch time. We were quickly greeted and seated and given the lunchtime menu. Like most Indian restaurants, The Darjeeling has a special lunchtime menu with selected dishes available - There was a choice of 4 starters and 4 mains with a side included. Two course meal was £6.95 a head so reasonable price for the amount of food you get.
My husband and I also ordered poppadoms and dips, which were delicious and for us a must! Shortly after that our starters arrived - We both ordered chicken tikka which came covered in fried onions and with a small side salad. We both thoroughly enjoyed our starters, the chicken was extremely moist and tasty and to be honest we were both feeling near to full after just our poppadoms and starter!!
The main course arrived a short while later, giving us sufficient time between courses, The dishes were well presented and both tasty. The portions were quite small for the main,which we were glad at as we really couldn't of managed a big main. I feel the portions were definitely in right proportions for a lunch menu, however I'd like to return in the evening to see if the portions get any larger!

All in all, we both really enjoyed our meal, and felt it was good value for money. The waiter was very friendly and helpful. We would definitely return when in the area again.

1  Thank Blondepunkyfish
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Recently bought a takeaway from the Darjeeling , We were holidaying in the area and decided to have an Indian meal on the Sat evening , as the Darjeeling was the only show in town it was a no brainer , I ordered Chicken Chat for starter , Tandoori mix grill ( no rice or nan bread included ) , I had to buy fried rice and a nan bread , The Chicken chat was fine and served with 2 poori,s , the Tandoori mix was served In a oblong metal container ( alarm bells straight away ) it consisted of a Chicken leg and thigh , 2 small pieces of Chicken Tikka , 2 small pieces of Lamb Tikka , 1 tiny Sheik Kebab ( and I mean tiny ) and topped off with onions apart from the meal being the smallest Tandoori Mix I have ever had ( and Iv'e had a few in my days ) and didn't taste of much , They had the cheek to charge £23 for the Takeaway , If your in the Dunkeld area and fancy an Indian meal , my advice would be to change tack and head for the Chippie across the road or one of the many small cafe's and tearooms in the area , best wait until you get home and get a decent curry at a reasonable price , Stay clear of the Darjeeling !!!!!!!!!