“Great location” 3 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Seating
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Seating
“Great location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2012

After driving past the end of the road several times I decided to call in for a coffee. It was late on a wet Friday afternoon but there were still a few people in the cafe and a few fishermen around outside. I was asked what I wanted as I walked in rather than being offered a menu. I didn't fancy the cake on offer so had a scone. I got an excellent cup of decaf mocha coffee and a nice homemade scone but only one pat of butter and one plastic bought jam. Quite disappointing as I had received homemade jam in generous quantities everywhere else I had tried scones in the area.

The staff were friendly and helpful and the view was stunning. Had the weather been better it would have been nice to sit on one of the outside tables.

The sign advertises Ospreys and bird watching however there was no bird list on view or binoculars or scope for people to use, which I would expect to see in somewhere that is serious about being a bird watcher's venue.

2 Thank Hilary A

Dundee, United Kingdom
“Location, location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2012

We decided to stop here for lunch on our way to Dunkeld. The view from the Lochside is absolutely outstanding and well worth the visit for that alone. If the food was up to the view then it would be a world beater.
The day was beautiful and we took a seat outside. I found it very difficult to find something on the menu that I liked, as did my wife. We settled for something eventually which was fairly unremarkable and instantly forgettable. The staff were reasonable but it should have been so much better. Willie Little has enough experience to know how to do this at a higher level.
I think it was summed up by the lady waiting table who came up when we finished and said, "was your food OK?" I really think that was the standard they were hoping to achieve "OK".
Well in that location with its stunning setting the food ambience and service deserves much much better than OK.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank reelandjig
Scotland
“A great lunch spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

Willie Little who runs the best restaurant in Blairgowrie has taken on the running the bistro in the fishing lodge after the previous incumbent departed. So now we have a competent chef offering a tasty menu within a short walk of our house.

Willie also is a fishmonger so you can guarantee that all the fish dishes will be top notch whether trout from the loch or fish from the sea. His whitebait is the best we have tasted for years.

The bistro is only open at lunchtime and not on Mondays. It will close at the end of the fishing season in October. Let us hope that he comes back next year as this is a little gem of a place with views to die for.

• Visited August 2012
Blairgowrie, Scotland, United Kingdom
“WOW”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2012

Visited Butterstone Loch Cafe a bit late in the day after travelling back from Inverness.
We decideed to stop here on the recommendation of friends - as a cafe with a stunning vista and they were not lying, the cafe is literally lochside with a lush view of the waters and the surrounding scottish countryside.
The staff were really helpful and had info at hand for the cafe/ bistro and also the lochs fishing events which include private tuition.
Situated down a quiet country lane this modern eating establishment is certainly somewhere me and the extended family will be back to visit soon.

• Visited June 2012
Dunkeld, United Kingdom
“beautiful view, but no food!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

Went to visit loch cafe and bistro for lunch. The views are stunning, and we were happy to find a table outside this very handsome facility, ample parking too. altogether very nicely done. We went in to order the food, after getting the menu ourselves and were told that they were not serving meals any longer as there was a back log! It was 2.30pm and not all tables were occupied. A real disappointment! Would be helpful if the sign at the main road would indicate this, as it's a longish drive in to the restaurant .

• Visited April 2012