“over night stay”

Dunkeld House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Dunkeld
Reviewed 13 June 2014

As we were heading up north to Elgin we broke our journey by staying at this hotel. We got a last minute deal which was brilliant, lovely location just off the main road. We were made very welcome on arrival ,room nice and clean ,food good and it had a homely atmosphere as we travel quite regularly up to Elgin we will be using it again in the future.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
SusanMacdonald, Guest Relations Manager at Dunkeld House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Thank you for the amazing review we are elated your first stay was impressionable and we will see you back again soon.

There are newer reviews for Dunkeld House Hotel

Reviewed 11 June 2014

My friend and I were on a 10 day bus tour and this was a hotel stop for one night.
The grounds were lovely and the gardens were pretty. The rooms were adequate.
Meals were ok - both at night and in the morning - the tables were large round tables. The service at night was slow and the bills offered up for the drinks were all lumped together and caused some anxiety for people trying to figure out what they owed.
The breakfast was late and not the best of what we had of all the places we had been.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank QPW

We are sorry to read your experience at our hotel was not memorable for the correct reasons and your views have been shared with the management team to improve the billing process for large groups. We are happy you enjoyed the beautiful scenery and gardens we are situated in and thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

Expectations aside this isn't your usual Hilton.

The communal areas are deep red shabby carpet and some of the fixtures have seen better days but to be honest this is part of its charm. It's dilapidated but not dirty. Some of the stairwells though could be rectified with a few hundred quid of paint.

The driveway is 1 mile long and the hotel is right out in the forest on the river, the location is exceptional.

There are loads of walks and cycle route 77 passes through the hotel grounds and is signposted. Bikes can be rented for £20 per day from the gym staff but book in advance. We negotiated £20 for two so do try and barter. The routes will easily fill a few days from the hotel.

The food particularly breakfast was excellent and the service as usual superb. The main evening menu is limited to around 10 dishes and they do it in a pick two or pick three set cost option.

The room wifi was free which is amazing and is a nice tough which makes you want to go back, so many hotels forget this. I think this is because this is a leisure not business hotel.

One amazing perk is the dram of free whiskey or sherry to welcome you back every evening, just help yourself or the staff will pour it for you. It does warm you up and it does get cold here. We stayed in May and the hills still had plenty of snow.

In essence this place is an amazing retreat with no mobile signal and in the heart of the Scottish Highlands. You won't be disappointed

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
SusanMacdonald, Guest Relations Manager at Dunkeld House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Thank you for the lovely review of our hotel, we are happy to read you enjoyed your leisure stay with us and our team members delivered exceptional service. We have a broad range of activities on our estate and we are please to read you enjoyed this during your short break. We thank you for choosing Hilton Dunkeld for your holiday and hope to see you back again soon.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

Excellent service, fantastic walks. We arrived and received the keys to our suite. We were extremely satisfied with all the facilities and the size and cleanliness of our rooms. The furniture and decor was amazing. The staff at the dining room were excellent. The food was good. We had breakfast delivered to our room. The food was very good and still hot ample amounts and also ample amounts of coffee. We would highly recommend

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

We wish to thank you for publishing your review on Tripadvisor and are delighted to know that you enjoyed your holiday with us. Your thanks has been shared with all our team and we would love for you to come and stay again soon.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

This is a very smart hotel , very quiet and in lovely surroundings the only issue we had with the hotel was the cleanliness of the bathroom and the following morning the buffet breakfast in which it appeared everything had been cooked to death

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for your review we are pleased you chose Hilton Dunkeld for your short stay and overall enjoyed it. We are apologetic for the inconveniences you encountered and this has been relayed to our Head Housekeeper and Chef to which they will address. Hope you will visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Title says it all really. You may need this if you elect to eat in the restaurant.

Glacial food and drinks service, cold food (returned for more microwaves to be applied), and the complete no-show of one of our party's main course despite numerous requests. (eventually arrived after the rest of us had finished / given up).

Unfair to blame the PBI but the senior managers here present a target-rich environment for retraining / sacking.

As a gesture, the food manger took something off the bill, but if we only wanted to save money we could have repaired to the local chipper.

On the bright side - I don't have any more sixtieth birthdays ...

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Ian D
SusanMacdonald, Guest Relations Manager at Dunkeld House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

We apologise for your disappointment on your recent birthday stay and your experience is certainly not the standard of food and service which our team members and management want to deliver. I do not have enough details on your stay to comment on what went wrong but please be assured your feedback has been share with our Food and Beverage Manager and Head Chef.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

I have stayed in this hotel 6 times in 4 years and have previously left good reviews. This time I felt a bit let down. I had decided to treat myself for a big birthday and booked the Atholl Suite. I like travelling solo and getting away from the stress of everyday life and fancied doing this in style. The suite has a bathroom with shower over the bath, and an open plan bedroom, living room and dining area. There are big windows with uninterrupted views of the river. At £199 p/n B&B I would have expected a safe, mini-bar, fancy toiletries, and coffee pod machine, but the amenities were just the same as the standard rooms. I did get a bathrobe and slippers. The decor was nice but the windows need a clean.

I had a lovely walk in the beautiful grounds, and a swim and sauna in the leisure centre, then planned to have soak in the bath, put my pjs on, and chill out in the suite. I decided to have room service dinner and breakfast, as I never feel that comfortable eating solo in a restaurant.

Why the disappointment? Various things spoiled my birthday treat. I'd arrived early, left my bag and gone for a walk as the room wasn't ready. When I checked in later my bag had been put in my room, along with someone else's! I took it straight away to reception were a panicked staff member was already looking for it. On asking her if she was happy that the contents were as she left them, the young male receptionist said something a bit sarcastic along the lines of 'and so they should be'. I felt uncomfortable about a situation not of my making.

I didn't get my soak in the bath, the water pressure was dreadful and I barely managed to get a shower, there's no point putting in a big fancy shower head for a such a weak and intermittent flow of water.

I paid a £5 tray charge for my room service dinner, but was charged a £10 tray charge for room service breakfast, just for one person. When I queried this on check out, the same young male receptionist said 'it's the tray charge because it's early', I had breakfast at 8.30, which seems like a normal time to me. He also told me that there was no mini bus to the station available, and handed me a card for a local taxi firm. As there was no queue at reception I felt he could have called for me, I felt a bit like I'd paid my bill and the hotel had washed their hands of me. My interactions with this receptionist were not good at all. I ended up rushing to the station, which was quite stressful.

Not sure if I'll be going back to what was my favourite hotel, it feel's a bit like the magic has gone.

Room Tip: Atoll suite could be better
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank T T

Thank you for your review and we are sincerely sorry certain aspects of your stay were not the standards you have come to expect from Hilton Dunkeld. There is certainly issues which you have highlighted which the relevant departmental managers can assist and retraining can be carried out to ensure the problems do not arise again. The £10.00 tray charge for breakfast is standard if it is one or two persons irrelevant of timings and each room service at other times of the day carries a £5.00 tray charge. We do hope you will reconsider returning in the future as we would appreciate the opportunity of making it right on your next stay.
Hilton Dunkeld

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunkeld
Ballathie House Hotel
Fonab Castle Hotel
Fonab Castle Hotel
#4 of 18 in Pitlochry
Knock Castle Hotel & Spa

Been to Dunkeld House Hotel? Share your experiences!