“going downhill”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Dunkeld
Dublin
“going downhill”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

This hotel is going downhill fast. Used to enjoy breaks here but not now we will not be returning. The entrance to the pool and fitness centre had to be seen to be believed the door was thick in mould and paint peeling off the walls. Chairs in the dining room was a disgrace the covering was all split on the majority of them. The waiters at dinner were useless and services was very slow.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

3 Thank Elaine G
SusanMacdonald, Guest Relations Manager at Dunkeld House Hotel, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
We have recently had work completed on our Livingwell Health Club and the decoration is still to be completed. The hotel is an old building in a beautiful location built in 1900 and we think retains its old world charm and have an ongoing program of maintenance for our rooms and public areas. We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay and your feedback has been shared with our team members.
Hilton Dunkeld

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (617)
  • Korean first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My family and I have been coming here for over 20 years. It is a wonderful location and we really liked it. However over the last few years the peace has been ruined by wedding parties. The volume of the evening parties is deafening and goes on till at least midnight nearly every night during the summer. I am a fairly heavy sleeper and I can not get to sleep in the hotel or the lodges till they finish. I do not wish the wedding party's to stop but I have no idea why it has to be this loud. Despite coming here for such a long period of time when I have asked them to turn it down (for example when it was preventing my young daughter from sleeping) the management took no notice. This is an insulting lack of respect for people that should be valued customers. If like myself you have to travel a long way to get here and are looking for a chance to relax don't come here!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank John B
We are sorry you feel our wedding business ruined your holiday and I am unsure if you voiced your concerns at the hotel as we regularly check the music volumes with a decibel reader and this is monitored closely. We have weddings approximately three nights a week in the marquee during July and August and are a popular wedding venue due to our wonderful location by the river Tay.
Kelso, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We had read some poor reviews about this property so when we checked in with a little trepidation we asked to see the allocated room first == Adriana the receptionist willingly took us up to it and we felt it Ok apart from being a little dark === we asked if a change could be made and were told that the hotel was full up but the lady scanned the computer and came up with another room with a much bigger window and a view of the river==that reception process was to our mind first class and a credit to the hotel===The room was clean and had a comfy bed with fresh modern linen== the TV was foolproof as was the free Wi Fi which we connected to in minutes-- the bathroom was not admittedly large was more than adequate ==shiny fittings and tiles with loads of hot water== a good strong shower -and big white fluffy towels==foodwise the dinner was prfectly acceptable considering we were in a big hotel with lots of guests = the smoked salmon starter was one not to be missed!!== breakfast was well up to Hilton standard all in place and of good quality and hot== be sure to try the Haggis!!!==Outdoors the walks along the TAY amongst the astounding trees watching the ripples of feeding trout and salmon were most reaxing==the pool was first class and the outdoor seating area with comfortable cane chairs was just the place to while away some quality time accompanied by a pint of scottish beer=== the staff were without exception trying very hard to be welcoming and cheery Well Done== now the gripes both small and not too important !! first an attempt could be made to screen what looked suspiciosly like a cesspool on the riverside walk==and do Hilton really need such an eyewatering markup on their Alcoholic drinks ===anyhow thanks and we hope to return soon

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank bordercurler
It is encouraging to ready you overall enjoyed your stay and especially the service Adriana delivered on your arrival; it’s a great motivational factor when individual team members are mentioned in reviews. We hope to see you again soon at Hilton Dunkeld.
Scotland
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I thought I would treat my mother and her friend to lunch at the Hotel.However, once presented with the menu I was dissapointed with the choice to say the least ( 2 main courses, fish,chips and mushy peas or Quiche ) Neither the Fish nor.the chips in my opinion were fresh ( fish was soggy and chips came out of a freezer ) Did not try the Quiche. There was in all fairness a choice of sandwiches.Then there is the decor.....wow....what a let down. Carpets filthy and most chairs has seen better days. As all 4 of our party are ex hoteliers and publicans I think I am in a position to point out constructive criticism when it`s needed. Pease , please , please do something about this before it gets out of hand.This used to be a grand hotel for food, but not any more !!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Mike-Denise
We are disappointed to read your lunch visit was disappointing and apologise sincerely your expectations were not met, your feedback has been shared with our Food and Beverage Manager and Head Chef. We are in the process of changing our lunch menu and your views have certainly been taken in to consideration. We do hope you will consider returning in the future and thank you for your comments.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This hotel is quite run down, poor service, dirty and poorly maintained. Fantastic drive to the hotel and surrounding area is just so beautiful. £28 for a 3 course meal (excluding drinks) should get a decent meal but only average here.

• Stayed June 2014
4 Thank Thornley123
SusanMacdonald, Guest Relations Manager at Dunkeld House Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
We are sincerely disappointed to read your stay was not what you expected and be certain your feedback has been acknowledged, this is certainly not the lasting impression we want our guests to perceive and apologise for your dissatisfaction.
Penallt, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Right next to the beautiful Tay, in walking distance of the town centre - a lovely evening walk. Fantastic trees in the grounds. Everything you would expect from a Hilton. Staff attentive and helpful. Only gripe was being invited (on screen) to pay for Internet access!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Allen D
SusanMacdonald, Guest Relations Manager at Dunkeld House Hotel, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
We are delighted you overall had a delightful stay with us and enjoyed the level of service our team members delivered. Wi-Fi is complimentary throughout the hotel and if you wish to purchase the full speed access there is an option to do so on the home screen. Hope you will choose our hotel again in the near future for another short stay.
Kind Regards
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel for a total of 27nights on business and feel I must write a review. I spend a huge amount of my time in various hotels around the country and can say that my stay here and the service I received was above and beyond any other hotel I have used in the last 2 years.

The hotel has a warmth about it and is a building of characer and my room was always kept clean with fresh towels and clean bedding. With huge grounds to explore and set in amazing quiet location this is the perfect setting to explore this area of Perthshire and beyond, unfortunately I had to work.

What really puts this hotel above the rest is all of the staff. From the first day I arrived they did all they could to help and support me through my stay. They helped make a long time away from home an enjoyable stay and always greeted me with a smile and a friendly greeting no matter how busy they were. Anything I needed or asked for was catered for and I found the food to be of an extremely high standard.

If your looking for a clean hotel with character, not just white paint and lights that most hotels are. Somewhere that is set in a great location with great food then you have found it. Add to that some amazing and friendly staff and you have the perfect hotel.

I certainly will be using this hotel again when in this area and will also be visiting again on holiday to take in the amazing landscapes that make perthshire the amazing area it is.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Richard H
We wish to thank you for publishing your first class review on Tripadvisor and are delighted to know that you enjoyed your long stay with us. It’s our aim to ensure all our guests leave feeling relaxed and looked after with our team members delivering professional and personal service. We do hope to see you again in the very near future.
Kind Regards
Hilton Dunkeld
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunkeld
Atholl Arms Hotel
Ballathie House Hotel
Ballathie House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Stanley
Knockendarroch Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Dunkeld House Hotel? Share your experiences!