“Not happy”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Dunkeld
Enfield, England, United Kingdom
“Not happy”
Reviewed 1 September 2014 via mobile

Where to start ..... Myself and my family where staying about 5 mins away so thought we would try the restaurant. We used the bar side to try.
Walked in and shown to a table. Great start, that's where the waiting started. We were one of only 2 tables eating. The waiter was serving us and working behind the bar at the same. Three times I had to leave my table to ask for a drink, add to our order and get a dessert menu as there wasn't anybody serving us.
BUT the food was fantastic. No complaints on that front. All local produce. Really tasty food.

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Jane G
christines89, Owner at Atholl Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 8 September 2014
Hello Jane G,

I really don't know what went wrong here. We have taken your comments seriously and discussed them with management.
I can only apologise for this as it is our policy to offer table service unlike most bars that do only take orders at the bar.
Very nice to hear you enjoyed your meal and I do hope you will put this behind you and visit us again on your next visit to Dunkeld.
Please know that if you are not happy it is always best to mention something at time of service, this way we can try our best to make you happy.
The Atholl Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
allison659
Reviewed 1 September 2014

We had a beautiful room on the 2nd floor, overlooking the river, and it was just what we wanted. I loved the decor, as the rooms have obviously been recently refurbished, but in a way that was very in keeping with the traditional feel of the hotel. The staff were lovely, and the breakfast -oh my! The best scrambled eggs with smoked salmon EVER! I loved the lounge area - we sat for ages reading the papers and enjoying our drinks until late. I will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: The corner rooms have a beautiful view of both the river and the mountains (we were in room 10)
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Hello and thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review. We are all pleased you enjoyed your stay with us here at the Atholl.
Our produce is delivered on a daily bases and our eggs are from a small farm up the road in Blairgowrie. We feel its important to use local producers wherever possible. This could be why so many local people pop in for breakfast.
We are making plans for some renovating in January. The front elevation will be painted and a new deck along the water and garden will be built. All this can be followed on Facebook. We also put any specials and promotions on Facebook and on our web site mailing list.
Thanks again for a fabulous review and we all look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Dunkeld.
Warmest Regards,
Reviewed 22 August 2014

I would like to inform to all of the guest who are interested in staying in this hotel to try to avoid the service given by an eastern europe recepcionist called Camelia Cozma!,! Really unfriendly, unpolite, unhelpful and speaking with arrogance while we where asking her to print a boarding pass. Im really concern about the future of this hotel cause there other member staff who really are great and friendly to me and my friend like Sara in the bar and restaurant who took after me during our stay!Managers be careful with this kind o staff because u can get really bad comments.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Matinee G
Dear Matinee,
First of all, I would like to make a few clear points to other guests that may be reading this. This individual works or did work in the Hilton Hotel 3 mile away from us. He has never stayed with us as a guest. He ventures into our bar on occasion.
He got irate when Cami did not allow him to use our computer to print out his boarding pass. This would have been a security issue. I will not get into details only to say I am incredibly disappointed that trip advisor does not recognise this posting as a sheer mockery of character. It is actually verging on the point of personal slander.
That is all.......
fife
Reviewed 12 August 2014

First time I have stayed in Dunkeld, and think we made a good choice of hotel at the Atholl Arms, staff were all friendly, the meals were good, apart from our second night we waited for over three quarter of an hour on our meal, seemingly the restaurant was full, and we were in the bistro, but still found that not really a good excuse for waiting so long. The rooms were cosy and nice, although I asked for a shower in my room, I was disappointed that it was over a bath withmixer taps, I also suffer with a bad hip and found it difficult to get in and out of the bath, I think the owners should really invest their money refurbishing the bathrooms as it was very outdated, this room would never do an older couple as it was up two flights of stairs which I found difficult to climb as they were in a slight dip because of the age of the hotel it was obviously subsiding, I also could not believe that the porter who should us to our room never offered to help me with my bags,Im sure he saw that I was struggling. I would also like to mention that the breakfast was first class and very good service

Room Tip: Riverview rooms were lovely, although a little noisy, as a lot of traffic passes by
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
christines89, Owner at Atholl Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 16 September 2014
Hello triciafife from Fife,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am not sure why it took so long for this review to surface on my advisor page, I see it was written five weeks ago and have just received it.
I wanted to mention that several of our rooms do have stand alone showers on both the first floor and second floor of the building. When booking next time please call us direct and we can make sure this will be taken care of. Some rooms were fitted with power showers in January and more will be done again when we close this January.
Both the RiverView restaurant and the bistro menu dishes are made fresh when ordered so food does take a bit longer to cook.
We do not have a porter but when checking in guests we are happy to help with luggage when we can. We always show guest to their rooms. I am not sure why this happened and will look into this.
Glad to hear the breakfast was to your liking and I do hope you will visit again soon.
Berwick-upon-Tweed, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I know this hotel of old - and it is old, an established part of Dunkeld, with a dated feel. The staff are mostly welcoming and friendly. When it gets busy they cope as best they can and sometimes it's clear they are under pressure. I have eaten in the lounge a number of times and I must say their food is very nice and they cater particularly well for veggies, though not so well during the high season, I noticed from the menu when I stayed.
The weather had been hot consistently and unfortunately this hotel is the kind of building which retains the heat in summer and is chilly in the winter. I noticed my room had no central heating radiator but a convector style of wall heater and I thought this would be inadequate in the chill of winter. As it was, it had been very warm and my room was stifling. Even opening the window - which opened (to a limited point, for safety presumably),on to the main road through Dunkeld, didn't allow air to circulate in the room, so I was suffocating.
The room itself was plain, old fashioned, a wonky bedside lamp that should be replaced, and I just felt it needed upgrading. Too expensive for the standard. Bathroom ok, small though. Everything was clean enough, just a bit shabby. Tea tray very basic and no biscuits. They need to crank this up a bit.
The difficulty for me was the street noise at night - this is quite a surprisingly busy road and because of the buildings opposite, noise bounces off. So you have traffic passing through and also the delight of revellers leaving the hotel bar and a couple of pubs, late into the night and early hours, - and some hang around outside to chat/smoke for a while - so my choice was, either put up with that, or close the window and suffocate!! I would definitely not stay in summer again and I would be wary of winter because of the minimal heating, so I reckon if you're going to stay, go in spring or autumn - though the street noise wouldn't disappear. Soundproofing between rooms not great and floors are creaky, though that can't be helped.Corridors were quite depressing in decor and the two flights of stairs up to my room a wee bit of a hike with bags (though I'm sure the staff would and do help if asked, but they were busy). I'm sorry not to be able to recommend this hotel as I'm quite fond of it, and I'd certainly continue to go there for a bite to eat, but not to stay. Choose somewhere sufficiently off the main road if you want peace and quiet.

Room Tip: Ones that don't face the main road - but side ones are right next to a busy pub!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
christines89, Owner at Atholl Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Hello STERCKS,
I am concerned that you feel it necessary to write such a lengthy review and would very much like to talk to you more about your visit. If you would be so kind to email the hotel privately that would be nice. Subject matter " to owner "
I would however like to mention, for other guests that may be reading this and have booked to stay in winter, that we do have adequate heating in all the rooms. Some of our rooms are located at the back of the building away from all pubs in Dunkeld. I would be happy to show you these room on your next visit.
Our menus are designed with a strong emphasis on seasonal and local food. We are registered and approved by the vegetarian society working with them to develop more nutritionally balanced offerings. I wonder if you saw both menus and our specials board.
We look forward to seeing you again and please let us know if there is anything you would like to see on the menu and we will try our best to accommodate.
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

An older hotel, that sometimes shows its age. The bed creaked as though it was on its last legs, but was comfortable enough. The hot water was hot, but difficult to get the balance right for the shower over the bath.

We were up on the top floor and it was a reasonable climb with a heavy case. Small car park.

Staff were efficient and gave good service. Breakfast was fine, I enjoyed the scrambled egg and smoked salmon.

Dunkeld was a pretty little village and the cathedral is worth a look and a walk on the banks of the Tay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello and thank you for writing a review. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your visit to Dunkeld.I agree, this is a special place with a worldly vibe to it.
You can see from our web site that all our rooms offer different views, nine of them located on the first floor and eight on the second floor, all having their own characteristics within this two hundred year old hotel.
Each January we close for renovations working on issues that cannot be worked on while open. If you have a chance take a look at our Facebook pages to see what we have done in previous years.
We all look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Dunkeld.
Warm Regards,
dundee scotland
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Arrived at Atholl arms to be upgraded to junior suite as was vacant. Lovely room with views over river. Staff could not do enough for us and we had drinks and sandwiches over the road in their beer garden. Nothing was too much trouble. Had meal at night in restaurant and steaks were beautiful and service was great. Would definitely recommend this hotel for a short stay. Laid back and full of character. Breakfast was great and felt so chilled out after our one night away. Will be back as dunked is full of character.

Stayed July 2014
christines89, Owner at Atholl Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Hello and thank you so much for taking the time to write such a fabulous review. I am so happy to hear your stay with us was everything you expected from the service to the great food.
Our menus are based strongly on local produce allowing our team of chefs to create many daily specials as fish is delivered and the local farmers bring us their harvest.
There always seems to be something going on in Dunkeld. We offer a tasting menu every month, music on a friday night, Amber festival will be upon us soon and then Santa day! All these activities are listed or linked to our web site and on Facebook.
Thanks again for a fabulous review. We all look forward to looking after you again on your next visit.
Warmest Regards,
The Atholl Team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunkeld
Dunkeld House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Stanley
East Haugh House
East Haugh House
#5 of 18 in Pitlochry

Been to Atholl Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!