“A lovely setting, but maybe not if you're not a golfing fan”

St. Pierre Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Chepstow
Hereford, United Kingdom
“A lovely setting, but maybe not if you're not a golfing fan”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Firstly, a warning: don't put the postcode into satnav or you'll be taken miles out of your way! We know the area well enough to know we were close, even though satnav was saying we still had 18 miles to go! We then did a search for 'accommodation nearby', and it came up correctly. but we checked with the receptionist when we arrived, and the postcode is correct. So be forewarned!

We stayed in this lovely hotel for two nights (Sunday and Monday), and were alarmed by the number of golfers roaming around the grounds and driveway as we arrived. Most of the golfers seemed to stay after their game for a drink, as they took over the bar and its associated terrace area. At one point, the bar was three-deep with golfers waiting to be served.

There was also a formal wedding there, so that was another public area pretty much taken over - though the wedding party didn't treat the hotel guests as intruders, which is how the golfers behaved towards us.

our room was fine - a ground-floor twin room, with plenty of storage space and a smallish bathroom. it was clean and well maintained, but could have done with more tea/coffee/milk supplies without us having to ask for more from reception.

We ate the first night in Zest, having read some good revues of the food in there. I guess we must have caught them on an off day, as we weren't impressed at all, and opted for a restaurant in Chepstow for our second evening meal.

Breakfast on both morning was lovely with plenty of choice, hot and cold.

We used the pool a couple of times, and it's not bad at all. it was quite busy with children/families when we went for a swim on the Sunday, but half of the pool is reserved for swimming lengths only, so that was good. The ladies changing room is excellent, with plenty of lockers, cubicles, showers and hairdryers. Each shower cubicle is supplied with bottles of shampoo, conditioner and shower gel, and lockers and towels are free of charge. There's also a costume drying machine, which is a nice bonus. And I can't comment on the standard of the men's changing room!

The gym seemed pretty well equipped, with a range of machines, and although we didn't use them, there were several people in there each time we went past.

Our main gripe is lack of free wi-fi throughout - if you wish to access the internet in your room you have to pay (£3 for 15 minutes, I think it was). It's only free in the public rooms, which in this day-and-age is very outmoded.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dwt186378
StPierreMarriott, Exec Office at St. Pierre Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Many thanks for the constructive feedback. Getting the balance between our golfing and non-golfing guests can be quite tricky; but apologies if they caused you inconvenience. Hope we see you again before too long.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
New Forest, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

A friend of mine had dined at St Pierre on a number of occasions, and had been very complimentary about the food in their restaurant. I therefore had high hopes that maybe their corporate arm might be just as good.. ...................
I had been invited to a celebration which was to take place in their ballroom recently. Included was a finger buffet which I find hard to believe anyone could get wrong (and I bet it wasn't cheap either) You know the sort of thing, pineapple and cheese on sticks, mini sausages, sandwiches etc all to be served to about 100Nos guests.
Their first mistake was to have one long serving table. This caused guests to have to queue virtually around the room and so that food that was meant to be hot, was cold by, the time the people at the back got served. It's not rocket science, the room was plenty big enough to have split the serving table in half and delivered the same food to both. This would have cut times in half.
The food itself (particularly the sandwiches) was low rent. Small, floury bread in the initial stages of drying out. Anything that had pastry in it was dry and tasteless. The only good point was the red wine. Very nice, but the pre dinner drinks were warm, when they should have been chilled.
On the whole a disappointing show. In short poorly organised and poorly delivered.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your positive feedback. Your suggestions will be passed to our banqueting department. Hope we see you again before too long.
Bournemouth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We just returned from a family wedding at the St Pierre Marriot. The hotel is absolutely stunning, with a wide range of rooms and friendly, professional staff.

My one main concern was that I am a vegetarian and a coeliac, and although I was assured I would be catered for, I wanted to double-check that there would be no problems so I spoke to the wedding co-ordinator by phone a few days before. Unfortunately, she did nothing to allay my concerns, as she clearly had no clue about either vegetarian or gluten free food (she offered me roast beef(?!) and panna cotta or a steamed sponge!). Not being sure isn't a problem, but she made no suggestion of speaking to the chef and calling me back, and guessing isn't good enough for an allergy sufferer.

However, when we arrived, I arranged to speak to the catering manager and she was very helpful. Although she sounded a little impatient, she was far more reassuring, and we were able to fully work out what their chef would do for me. And I have to say, I thoroughly enjoyed the meal. It was delicious and meant I was much better able to enjoy the wedding.

The room itself was very nice. It was clean, smelled fresh and all the facilities we could have needed were avilable to us.

The downsides. There was precisely one tissue left in the entire room! I did take some of my own, but they probably should have made sure there were more in the room. This was a minor thing. Really, the only big downside for me was breakfast, as their waiting staff should be far more aware of food allergies and they should be better prepared. They didn't know if the baked beans were gluten free and made no offers to check for me. They could do gluten free bread but there is nothing anywhere to state this, so most people wouldn't know to ask. It would also be useful if they had gluten free cereal on site. They offered to toast the bread but having asked about the beans and gotten nowhere, I wasn't confident that they would be able to toast the bread in a way that avoids cross-contamination, so I had buttered bread, with 2 poached eggs.

In all, the wedding was beautiful, the wedding breakfast was some of the best food I've tasted, but they could do more outside of that one meal to make coeliacs feel more comfortable, by making it clear there are gluten free options available and training staff more thoroughly. Coeliac UK could certainly help with that.

Room Tip: If you have food allergies, be very clear about this when you book.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Thank you very much for your constructive feedback. Delighted you enjoyed the wedding. Hope you are able to visit us when you are next in the area.
London
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night and the stay was ok. The drive into the hotel was very grand. Check in was ok, could have been faster as 2 people were serving 1 customer and whilst I waited 5 minutes to be seen.

Room was ok, although no air conditioning so quite warm and the window only opened an inch or so.

Staff were friendly. We had dinner in one of the restaurants. Whilst the service was friendly the food was very average. Ceased salad soggy and over dressed. The fish covered on sauce.

A nice hotel if you're staying one night on business.

A

Stayed August 2014
StPierreMarriott, Exec Office at St. Pierre Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Many thanks for the constructive feedback. We hope to see you again when you are next in this area. Thanks again.
Harrow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I spent a weekend here recently and have mixed feeling about the hotel.
The original hotel looks stunning and has a very impressive entranceway. There was a wedding going on and the wedding party were have drinks on the lawn immediately outside the entrance so it was very difficult and a little embarrasing to actually get in to the hotel.
The room we were given was a lakeside view chalet. No view of the lake but a lovely ground floor, very large room a drive away from the main hotel, especially in bad weather.
As this is a golf resort, during the day it is very busy with golfers but to sit in the bar and watch the world go by is lovely.
We did not have dinner in the hotel, but breakfast was the usual buffet and as usual the coffee was terrible, why can't hotels get this right!
My main complaint, as with many other hotels is that you have to pay for wifi, I have never nor will I ever understand the exhorbitant charges hotels make to their guests for use of something which costs them so little.
Overall a very nice stay.

Room Tip: lakeside villas are lovely but a good 5 minutes walk from the main hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Delighted you enjoyed your visit. We have noted your comments about the coffee; we now serve Starbucks in our Zest lounge bar, maybe you can enjoy a Frapaccino on your next visit.
Runcorn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

My partner and I have recently returned from an amazing 2 night weekend stay at this hotel. Set in beautiful surroundings this Marriott hotel is a credit to the hotel chain. Definitely worth a visit if you are looking to park up and remain in the grounds, making use of the health and leisure facilities. The gym is brilliant with all up to date equipment, I made use of the beauty rooms, and treated myself to a facial which was out of this world. Gemma who works in the beauty rooms is fantastic and made me feel very welcome, I cannot wait to have another treatment now. The only two little gripes I have is that as a customer of Marriott rewards, we used the 2 night stay, dinner on the first night and breakfast on both mornings, I felt that the dinner menu in Morgans restaurant had a disappointing menu choice, this left us resorting to the zest cafe bar menu on our second evening, which wasn't what we had in mind. My second gripe, which I suppose isn't really a gripe but a 'Heads up' due to the stunning grounds / listed building, expect lots of wedding parties at this hotel, we found ourselves unable to walk through some public areas due to wedding parties having photographs taken, and the dinning room at breakfast was very busy with people from the wedding party standing around the wedding table, and not really considering the other guests staying at the hotel.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thanks for the great feedback. Hope to see you at St Pierre again soon.
Cardiff
Reviewed 31 July 2014

To celebrate my birthday my wife booked a one night stay at St Pierre. We are not golfers and didn't use the spa.
Reception staff were friendly and courteous, but do not unload your luggage until you know where you are going - it can be a mini-car journey distant, the buildings/rooms are spread over a large area.
We had a lakeside bedroom from which you could view the wildlife and golfers - it may be worth getting a room with terrace/balcony to more greatly appreciate the view. The bedroom was large and reasonably well equipped. The shower in the bathroom was very powerful.
We spent a pleasant couple of hours on the terrace of the Trophy Bar soaking up the sunshine and watching the golfers approach the 18th.
The resort is large and we had a good walk around the grounds - which includes a church and churchyard. Surprisingly being so near motorways/major roads it is remarkably quiet and peaceful.
We had hoped to dine in Morgans, but there was a function on and we went to Zest - which was fine, no complaints about the food or friendly service, but if you do want to try Morgans may be best to check beforehand.
I found the bed a bit on the soft side, but my wife thought it was one of the best she had experienced in a hotel.
A very nice birthday surprise.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for the great feedback. Hope we see you again before the next celebration!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chepstow
Beaufort Hotel - Chepstow
The First Hurdle Guest House
Best Western Royal George Hotel
Ramada Resort Cwrt Bleddyn Hotel & Spa
Hampton by Hilton Newport East
Celtic Manor Resort
Celtic Manor Resort
#5 of 18 in Newport

Been to St. Pierre Marriott Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!