“OK but not memorable”

The First Hurdle Guest House
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Chepstow
Reviewed 22 October 2013

This was my first stop on my Offas Dyke walk from Chepstow to Prestatyn.
Compared to other places I would visit during the walk this was not the best or best value.
Room was clean but small. The breakfast OK but not the best ingredients. It seemed to be a place in 'close season' mode.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank haz53

Reviewed 15 September 2013

After they couldn't find my pre booking made via email, I should have walked out! Unfortunately, it was late afternoon and I had had a tiring journey by train. They pretended to discover an unbooked room, and I paid by card for two nights.

I went to bed with unblemished skin and woke up the next morning, with wrist, neck and ankles covered with BITES! The proprietress told me (note the quotation marks) "If you slander me, I will sue you!"

I have pictures of the bites. BTW, The Welsh Tourrist Board staff are an excellent mooring in time of trouble.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Boatgqypsy
janecooper, Owner at The First Hurdle Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

Boatggypsy.
As we spoke about after the first night of your visit with us, it was highly unlikely that there would be any 'bed bugs' as we had never in the history of the Guest House heard such a claim. The mattresses are rutinely renewed and the cleaning staff do an amazing job. But of course concerned about your claim, both myself and the cleaning staff checked the bed thoroughly and found nothing other than very clean and recently new mattresses. Although certain that nothing would be found in our immaculately clean guest house, we wanted to get an official certificate to check your claim 100%, and so called in a B.P.C.A registered company to check the rooms themselves. We received instant verification from them with a signed and stamped document stating that ''nothing could be found either alive or dead'' in the room you stayed in (No 3), and ''that there were no signs of any earlier presence'. Claims such as yours are extremely damaging toa small family business such as ours, we suggest that you seek medical advice as you may have some kind of airborne allergy or other skin condition which may cause these problems, but one thing we can be sure of is that it was NOT CAUSED BY BED BUGS AT THIS GUEST HOUSE. We kindly ask you to remove such a mistaken review and please send us an email or mail address so that we can send you the relevent documentation to prove this claim not to be true. Regards Mrs J. Cooper

Reviewed 13 September 2013

This is a very nice bed and breakfast and is an ideal base to start the Wales coast to coast walk. My twin room was very spacious although a little in need of redecorating. The bed was very comfortable. The shower worked ok. The place is full of character with creaky floorboards and uneven floors. Breakfast consisted of a full English which was very good. There was no fruit juice, yogurt and the only fruit available was a banana. The owner was very helpful. The First Hurdle is however good value for money. I would rate my stay midway between average and very good. It is ideally situated for numerous pubs in the town and the castle.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank WiggyofIpswich
Reviewed 11 August 2013

This is an exceptional bed and breakfast, quiet, friendly and excellent food, the room was spacious, clean and had an on suite shower room. Just a few yards from the edge of town and about half a mile from the castle and museum, the only down side to this trip was the parking located in the main pay and display car park just around the corner the charges only apply monday to saturday from 9am to 5pm at a cost of £1.80 for 4 hours parking so you have to keep an eye on the time and nip back to put an extra ticket on the car. All in all an excellent weekend despite the parking.

Room Tip: All rooms are about the same, the front looks onto the road (a quiet narrow one way street) and the...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Musty smell when we arrived, the sash cord on the window in room was broken, my husband found a large stone outside to prop it open as it was a hot July day. Bed was very soft but was clean. The guest house was on the one way system through Chepstow so very noisy past the bedroom window through the night as well. Breakfast very basic, no fruit juice on offer and only 2 very ripe bananas in the fruit bowl for 7 guests in dining room.
Only 2 portions of milk in the room although there were several sachets of coffee and teabags. Option of hot chocolate and biscuits would have been nice.
Am afraid I would not recommend this B&B.

Room Tip: Try somewhere else first!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank M W
Reviewed 21 February 2013

The First Hurdle is essentially two buildings that have been joined to make one, hence it's a deceptively big place. It's also an old place which must have quite a history, sadly there wasn't any information on display to tell us. First impressions weren't brilliant as we were greeted by a strong smell of cigarette smoke in the stairs which got even stronger on entering our room. We found the extractor fan in the en suite bathroom didn't appear to work, and the sash window had been painted closed a long time ago. As soon as my other half explained the problem, we were moved to another room with the explanation a previous guest must have been smoking and they had no idea. Not sure how one could have missed something that obvious though, or what the outcome would have been if no other room had been available. The room we stayed in was clean, neat and basic. It had a smashing view over the garden at the rear of the property and the countryside beyond. The furniture in the room was on the elderly and tired side, but really nothing a coat of paint and a few well chosen accessories wouldn't have brightened up. The heating, as previous visitors have noted, got turned down every time we went out resulting in an extremely bracing atmosphere when we returned. I appreciate that heating costs money and no one wants the heating on full in an empty room. However, if the heating must be turned down during the day when guests are out, please turn it back on at around 4pm, especiallyin winter! Having a shower in the cold was a pretty teeth gritting experience. The smoke alarm also emitted a flashing light all night, which was quite odd and woke us up several times. We couldn't get the TV to work, but that is most likely our lack of nous with things like that and, to be fair, we could have asked if it mattered to us terribly. Breakfast seems to have been a bit of a bugbear for a few other reviewers. I don't eat breakfast and my other half is a toast and porridge man, and he found both to his satisfaction. I noticed other guests tucking into what looked like a very decent portion of scrambled eggs and tomatoes, so it didn't seem like there was too much of an issue there. Breakfast is also charged separately, which is a bonus if, like me, it isn't something you normally bother with. Coffee was a bit on the weak and feeble side, but I do like my coffee pretty strong so that's a matter of personal taste. We got a friendly welcome and the folks who work there seem pleasant and cheery. A romantic getaway this isn't, but if you are looking for somewhere sensibly priced to do an overnight stay, First Hurdle is conveniently located and OK. Winter break discounts are offered.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 January 2013

Just got back from a nights stay in between two days diving and I am thoroughly impressed. I think myself and the dive school will be staying here regurly. The service was fantastic, the rooms were kept do a high standard and the experience as a whole was very welcoming.

• Stayed: January 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chepstow
Beaufort Hotel - Chepstow
St. Pierre Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Best Western Royal George Hotel
Hampton by Hilton Newport East
Parva Farmhouse Riverside Guesthouse
Castle View
Castle View
#3 of 14 in Chepstow

Been to The First Hurdle Guest House? Share your experiences!