All reviews gorge walking festival week great activities toilet block the river wild camping place to stay great weekend home from home b and b short walk mick archery site canoeing facilities tuition
Reviewed 26 June 2017

Thanks Mick and Sharon for a great weekend of activities and camping.
Really nice campsite, quiet location, lots of space and very good facilities which were clean and in good working order!
However the joy of this place is the outdoor activities Mick and Sharon organise in the National Park countryside, or on the River Wye. We did gorge walking which was absolutely superb! Very good for active teenagers :-)
Cheers,
Steve

Date of stay: June 2017
1  Thank SteveBearnest
Reviewed 8 September 2016

A group of 12 of us visited Tylau Lodge last weekend. The house was exactly what we had been looking for; somewhere relaxed and comfortable for a weekend away with friends. Tylau Lodge is just a 15-20 minute walk in to Hay and is a great base for walks in the surrounding countryside. The beds were really comfy, showers were hot and the outdoor space was great too. The real highlight for us on a slightly rainy weekend though was the large kitchen/dining/lounge area which meant we could all be in the same room, cooking, eating together, chatting and playing games. The property is great value and we will definitely look to return soon....and hopefully try out some of the outdoor activities too.

Date of stay: September 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
OutdoorMick, Owner at Outdoors@Hay, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2016

Thank you for taking the time to leave a helpful review, the first of our new Lodge. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and that you found Tylau Lodge not only ideal for your group, but also great value. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 28 August 2016

We camped at Outdoors for two nights to walk the Offas Dyke through Gospel Pass. The owners were very quick at returning my call to book a spot and most helpful with keeping us upto date with the medal tally and results from Rio as well as local info. More importantly the campsite is very convenient for Hay and really well looked after. All the communal amenities were immaculately clean, the shower water was hot and the washing up area more then adequate. Nice touches were the provision of washing up liquid and sponges, disinfectant gel in all the loos, and use of fridges. The ground was well tended and free of stones and twigs. I will definitely use the site again. I know the outdoor activities are reviewed elsewhere but we didn't use them.

Date of stay: August 2016

Thank you Camperman, we are pleased you enjoyed your stay and that you took the time to leave an informative and helpful review for our potential guests. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 14 August 2016

We were planning to stay in the bell tent but actually stayed in the yurt, very comfortable. The yurt was well laid out and had everything we needed, crockery, gas hob, log fire and fire pit were all put to good use. Logs were available in the storehouse where there were also 2 shared fridges which were clean and tidy. The showers, toilets and wash rooms were all beautifully clean at all times, day and night with hot water supplied immediately.
The activities were the real highlight, Mick led the activities and engaged the whole family with his survival tips and adventures. In the Bushcraft the boys made a teepee shelter from sticks, branches and grass, lit a fire from scratch, boiled water they collected from a shallow stream to drink, made nettle tea and cooked chicken on the fire.
Next was archery, Mick's schooling and patience was outstanding. The boys thoroughly enjoyed it and were hitting gold nearly as often as the GB Team today.
On our last day Mick took us all gorge walking, I was the least adventurous of the party but felt confident under Mick's s instruction and guidance and was soon overcoming my fears to rounds of applause from my boys.
Although the clue is in the name I didn't really know what to expect. We were climbing waterfalls, jumping from waterfalls, traversing, rock climbing, swimming, jumping in to pools from rock edges. We thoroughly enjoyed the rapid waters and foamy pools.
We were a party of four which was also brilliant as we saw much bigger groups which couldn't have been as much fun. The gorge walking was fantastic, I would recommend it for value for money, safety, guidance and fun.

Date of stay: August 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank lizcalder2016
OutdoorMick, Owner at Outdoors@Hay, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2016

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, we are really pleased you enjoyed it and got so much from the activities. Helpful and kind comments like yours help us to continue improve our services. With so many reviews focusing on our provision during the Hay Festival it's great to receive one that describes what potential guests can expect taking our activities with us the rest of the year! Thanks

Reviewed 25 June 2016

I’ve given this place outstanding reviews before … sorry to be boring but here’s another one.

In a word it’s BRILLIANT! I won’t repeat everything I’ve said before (please scroll down for previous reviews with more detail) but I think it’s great on all counts – toilet / shower block, proximity to the festival site, staff and overall atmosphere.

The pop-up restaurant / pub that they run for the festival week has outstandingly good food. I’m vegetarian and I can honestly say I’ve had some of the nicest meals I’ve ever had there; my husband tells me that you can taste the quality of the meat they use and the posh chips (I know this probably sounds like I’m exaggerating) are the best we’ve ever tasted – REALLY. My daughter insists that I also have to mention the chocolate brownies and say ‘they're the best in the world’. In summary, the meals are not super cheap but we see eating there 4 or 5 evenings as a treat which we would not be able to afford at the much more expensive Hay pubs and restaurants and probably not enjoy as much.

A previous reviewer mentioned the lack of a camp shop but to be honest we haven’t found that a problem as there is a Spar and other independent food shops in Hay or there’s a large Co-op with a big carpark about a five minute drive away which we tend to visit once a day.

Anyway, I wholeheartedly recommend this place.

Date of stay: June 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
OutdoorMick, Owner at Outdoors@Hay, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2016

Hi Sheila, Thank you once again for taking the time to review us with fantastic comments and advice, it helps people get a better understanding of the benefits of our location to the Hay Festival and what we endeavour to offer.
We have had so many reviews this year I've made a point of responding to them as they mean a lot to us and the crew. So many people mention that they have booked because of our reviews.
I better get them ready for a rush on the chips and brownies for next year after those comments!
We look forward to seeing you next year, it will soon come around!