We stayed at the Old Black Lion for a weekend so that we could spend a day exploring the town of books as well as some other parts of South Wales.
The pub itself is a couple of minutes walk from the centre of Hay-On-Wye and has its own car park tucked around the back, meaning that we didn't need to move the car at all. It's a very old building without a single level floor, ceiling above 6' and not a right angle to be seen anywhere. This gives the place wonderful character. Our room was very clean and well furnished complete with a wardrobe exit to Narnia and the hotel side of out stay was excellent.
The food and drink were likewise excellent- breakfasts were the usual hotel fare, but done to a high standard in a dining room away from the main bar. The drinks and evening meals were creative and very enjoyable with good size portions. Allow about £20-£25 per person including drinks and a little more if you can squeeze in a dessert. The 2 real ales on tap were very well kept.
The staff were friendly and helpful and quickly remembered our faces, making the atmosphere more welcoming but without feeling intrusive.
An excellent place to stay and great value for money too.
Basketball players may need to take protective headware :-)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled within the market town of Hay-on-Wye, this colourful 17th Century Inn exudes historical charm and atmosphere offering quality home-cooked food, luxury accommodation and free Wi-Fi and parking. With parts of the original building dating as far back as the 1300’s, the Hotel subtly blends the elegance and whimsy of the past with the comfort and convenience of the present. Indeed, it is even reputed that Oliver Cromwell once stayed at the inn whilst the Roundheads besieged Hay Castle, which was then a loyalist stronghold. Sympathetically refurbished, exposed timber beams and roaring log fires help to cultivate a homely environment and a famously warm welcome.The Inn features 10 high quality en-suite bedrooms, all of which are individually and tastefully decorated in a style reminiscent of the buildings historic past. All rooms include free Wi-Fi access, flat-screen TV, hairdryer, direct dial telephone and tea & coffee making facilities. They offer a choice of Single, Double, Twin and Superior room options.The Old Black Lion is renowned for the quality of its food and has received a host of rewards and accolades including a coveted AA Rosette. The menus, which are changed frequently, use only the best of British produce wherever possible including locally reared meat, fresh seafood from Cornwall and seasonal vegetables. The oak timbered bar with its scrubbed pine tables and comfy arm chairs is the perfect place to relax and enjoy the fantastic selection of local ales (including their own namesake ‘The Old Black Lion’).The Hotel is located in the heart of the Welsh market town of Hay-on-Wye just a short drive from the A438, it also offers free on-site parking for guests. The city of Hereford is roughly 35 minutes away and offers excellent transport links to the rest of the country. For those flying in, Cardiff International Airport is about a 95 minute journey from the Hotel.The Old Black Lion is situated just a three minute walk from the centre of Hay-on-Wye. Renowned internationally as a Mecca for bibliophiles the town offers over 30 bookshops, many selling specialist and second-hand books. It is also home to the annual Hay Festival, Europe’s premier literature and arts festival. The town lies on the east bank of the River Wye and is within the Brecon Beacons National Park, just north of the Black Mountains. Offering some of the most breathtaking scenery in Wales, the surrounding area is a haven for outdoor enthusiasts with both the Offas Dyke Path and Wye Valley Walk passing through the town. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo and LateRooms so you can book your Old Black Lion reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Old Black Lion Hotel Hay-On-Wye
- Old Black Lion Hay-On-Wye, Wales