My wife and I (and two dogs) stayed in one of their courtyard rooms. If I was pushed for any complaint, the room decoration was a little mismatched but it was spotlessly clean despite being the 'dog room'. We ate in the restaurant and the food was gorgeous, the porchetta cooked to perfection, the dauphinois was just beautiful. All in good quantities (the dogs approved too, but then I've seen what they eat so I'm not surprised). We met two staff, both were very friendly and chatty, the young one was a bit cheeky but it made it all the more fun! Both obviously enjoyed working there and were proud of the food, the hotel and ensured service was top class. We were even given an ice bucket and champagne flutes for our room when we mentioned. It was also nice to have a bath and a shower in the room, we didn't use it but I've always loved the choice.
The location is stunning, the village is superb and there are several gorgeous walks for us and the dogs in a small place.
I didn't know they had a garden, but for dog toileting, head out of the car park, turn left, and 30 seconds down on the right (past the farmers market) is a nice little walk. (once you reach the river (not the stream) the walk to the right is short, to the left is long but it does go through a private field with livestock so leashes or control of dogs only. (there is a warning sign before you enter)
Would definitely recommend to anyone staying in the area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Swan at Hay is a glorious Georgian building housing 19 bedrooms. The hotel was relaunched in February 2017 following a million pound refurbishment. All 19 bedrooms and bathrooms were refurbished, as were all the public areas. Set in the heart of the world renowned 'Town of Books,' Hay-on-Wye, it is an ideal base to explore the Brecon Beacons and surrounding countryside. With a choice of 3 dining areas, visitors can choose from our hearty bar menu or more indulgent Garden Room Dinner Menu. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Odigeo and Hotel.de so you can book your The Swan at Hay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Swan At Hay Hotel Hay-On-Wye
- Swan At Hay On Wye
- Swan At Hay Hotel
- The Swan At Hay Hay-On-Wye, Wales