“Good value, central location”
Review of The Swan at Hay

The Swan at Hay
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hay-on-Wye
West Midlands
“Good value, central location”
Reviewed 5 November 2013

We only stayed for one night, so can't comment in depth. The room was fine, a double en suite at the top, which was very quiet. Although the room was a little old-fashioned, that didn't detract from the comfort, with a comfy bed, tea making facilities etc.

The breakfast room was a real treasure,with a rustic and spacious feel to it. The breakfast was well cooked and freshly delivered to the table. The staff were all warm, pleasant and helpful.

It's at the edge of the small town, so no more than 5 minutes walk from all central places.

The key question of 'would we return' is answered with a certain yes. The only minor gripe is that the hotel advertises wi-fi but it's so weak as to be non-existent both in our room, and on the ground floor breakfast area.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank artyone1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We had a cheap Groupon deal and were put in a small room at the top which was adequate and reasonable for the price but the radiator wasnt working so we were moved to a much nicer room.Some of the decor and furniture in the hotel is a bit tatty but the breakfast was lovely.All in all a good place to stay, made very pleasurable by the friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank wildforces
Glendale, California
Reviewed 24 October 2013

My boyfriend and I did a 3300 mile, six week UK road trip and didn't plan out a lot of our hotels. We showed up in Hay-On-Wye and pulled over to use Expedia to find a room. We were able to book one night at The Swan for 120 pounds, which included breakfast.

The Swan is adorable and filled with character. Our room was at the end of the hall on the second floor, with a big window looking out over the garden. Our room was cozy with a comfortable bed and all of the amenities that we could need.

The floorboards were very creaky and loud, but we didn't have a problem with noise preventing us from sleeping.

The service in the hotel was friendly, but spotty. It's not a huge hotel and didn't have a lot of staff. We often found the reception desk empty, as the lone staff member was helping someone away from the desk. When we wanted a drink from the bar, the woman at reception had to leave the desk to take on the bartender role. The same thing happened when we needed extra towels. They were always pleasant and professional, but I got the vibe that it's frustrating for them to run all over the hotel.

The Swan has a great lounge area, with many different spots to relax. I spent several hours reading in a quiet corner and loved every minute of it. This was probably my favorite aspect of the hotel. They do have free- wifi, but I couldn't find a spot that gave me a good connection. It was nice to put "unplug" from my devices for a bit, so it didn't bother me.

We really enjoyed the morning breakfast too. The yogurt was delicious!

Like my review? Check out my blog!

1 Thank Karen H
Halifax
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I didn't enjoy my stay here at all and wish I'd opted for a b and b instead. Not convinced the rooms were properly cleaned - cobwebs everywhere and bedside tables covered in dust. Was promised an early breakfast as I had an early start but this didn't materialise. Worst thing was the broken windows - they rattled all night waking me several times and the secondary glazing panels in both mine and my colleague's rooms didn't shut meaning that all the noise from the street outside was clearly heard.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Jennifer P

Travellers are raving about these Hay-on-Wye hotels

London
Reviewed 19 October 2013

We stayed at the Swan on an excellent value voucher deal. The room was fine, no complaints and plenty of hot water for a lovely bath after a trek up Hay Bluff! The hotel is well located at one end of Hay and has lovely gardens and terrace which we could have appreciated even more on a summer's day/evening. Breakfast was good but we ate out in Hay rather than at the Swan Bistro and came back to the hotel for a nightcap later. I left a shoe in the room and the Swan very helpfully posted it back to me. Hay is well worth a couple of days and Hay Bluff, River Wye and Llanthony Abbey are highly recommended. An enjoyable couple of days!

1 Thank shelley9London
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Myself and my husband recently stayed for a 2 night break which I bought via a KGB Deal. Due to the mixed reviews was a bit apprehensive but what a lovely couple of days. Room 15 was a standard room but was clean and comfortable, breakfast was excellent which really set us up for the day. Staff were lovely and so helpful especially Emma (?). The highlight for me was having dinner on the Wednesday evening and I had the Barbequed Gloucester Old Spot Porchetta - one the the best meals I have ever ever had. Hay-on-Wye is a beautiful town with lovely bookshops, boutique shops, restaurants, coffee shops and pubs. We were also lucky to catch the market on the Thursday. Both my husband and I will definitely call to the Swan at Hay again (deal or no deal).

5 Thank Andrea R
Fulmer, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We stayed at the Swan for 2 nights whilst on a trip to the Brecon Beacons. We booked directly through the hotel and paid £99 for a standard room. The first room we were shown to (in the coach house) was so awful that i asked to move rooms. It had a lumpy mattress, peeling wall paper and smelt strongly of air fresheners. The second room, in the main house, was slightly better but still way below par.
After a long day hiking i was looking forward to a soak in the bath, however there was no hot water as the boiler had gone out.
All in all this place is in need of some attention, the staff are friendly and helpful but seem to be out of their depth when it comes to sorting out issues.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Julie B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hay-on-Wye
Llangoed Hall
Old Black Lion
Old Black Lion
#3 of 29 in Hay-on-Wye
The Baskerville Arms

Been to The Swan at Hay? Share your experiences!