“Welcoming staff, comfortable room but tired decor”
Review of The Swan at Hay

The Swan at Hay
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hay-on-Wye
Wigan
“Welcoming staff, comfortable room but tired decor”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

The staff were welcoming, helpful and professional. The room was adequate in size, although the bathroom was small. However, there was no information in the room about fire escapes, the hotel facilities or activities in the area. We slept well because the bed was comfortable and the hotel is in a quiet location even though it is in town. The breakfast was very good, but we did not have dinner there because the main courses were expensive, with separate charges for the sides. Although the hotel was clean, it is very much in need of updating. The garden is very attractive

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Rhondda Cynon Taff
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Myself and my partner stayed at this lovely, family run hotel for a weekend. Initially, when we saw our room we were disappointed, as we had specifically booked a superior double room and on arrival found it was a twin room. We went to complain and were offered a different room which was a double but not a superior, we went back down to reception and explained that we'd paid for a superior room and the very helpful receptionist offered to change the mattress, which we accepted.

The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful and the breakfasts were stunning! Our room (no4) was delightful. We will definitely be staying here again!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Nice coffee this morning - but the hotel initially appeared empty of staff as we walked in through the wide open front door.

Two coffees were cheap and the person clearing in the bar was very friendly but it might be an idea to call out to try and find staff if they're not immediately obvious.

The hotel itself appeared pleasant and would probably be a good place to stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Swansea
Reviewed 7 July 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed here for her 24th birthday, all staff were very helpful and polite, the room was lovely and spacious and the food was superb. The garden is beautiful would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed June 2014
bridgend united kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Nice old fashioned hotel.lovely superior room overlooking the main road.not too much traffic noise.the hotel is a lovely old building and yes there are a few things that need upgrading but the place is quite charming.the floor boards in our room were so creaky but it wasn't a problem for us.the bed was comfy.had a great nights sleep.lovely soft towels too.the dining room is lovely but we had breakfast on the terrace as it was a gorgeous sunny morning.nice food and good service.staff lovely and friendly.overall it could do with a lick of paint but I hope they maintain the charm of the place.would go back but will ask for a room overlooking the well tended gardens.hay on wye is a very beautifully place.

Room Tip: Request a garden view room.
Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank kazo_10
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My wife and I suddenly decided to have a couple of nights away, and chose Mid Wales. I saw The Swan website and decided to book without checking the Trip Advisor website ( as I normally always do!) Well what a mistake as I immediately went there upon my return, and saw comments from other guests that really reflected my own personal views.

Upon arrival we were greeted warmly at reception by the friendly receptionist. I have a heart problem and found that they had allocated me a room at the top of a flight of 25 rather steep stairs, but this could not be changed as they were full up! However again the staff were very helpful and carried our two suitcases up to our room, informing us on the way that they were not allowed a lift as it was a listed building. Our "Superior" room was large, with a nice bathroom, but looked out over the main road. It was very clean and airy and we thought well so far so good. AND THAT IS WHEN OUR TROUBLES STARTED.

1/ My wife opened the TV cabinet to find there was no TV so I telephoned reception and told them. They seemed staggered "What No TV.....Ok we will bring you one up shortly". Well about an hour later one of the girls arrived with the TV and plugged in the aerial and power lead and left. When we decided to turn the TV on we found that the screen kept freezing so it was impossible to watch anything, and when we complained to reception we were told that "Part of the roof has collapsed and dislodged the TV Aerial, everyone up there is complaining but there is nothing we can do". Consequently we were unable to watch any TV during our entire visit.

2/ As there was no TV we thought we would go down and sit in the garden but once our room door was locked we could not get the key out. This meant going down to reception again, and one of the staff coming up to "sort " the problem. This involved taking the turn off the back of the lock to get the key out. This problem persisted throughout our stay, and sometimes it took me up to 5 minutes of wiggling and pulling to get the key out. This was extremely frustrating and really wound me up.

3/ As the weather has been really warm we thought we would open up the sash windows and let some air in. My wife tried first of all to pull the top pane down, but was unsuccessful. Then I had a go, and then the woman that brought our replacement TV tried. It was pretty well stuck but we did manage to create a gap of about six inches. However that did not let in a lot of air only a lot of traffic noise.

4/ As we had a long drive to get to our hotel we thought we would eat in on Friday night and booked a table for 7.30pm. First of all the hotel has a lovely dining room near to the rear garden but for some unknown reason they use the bar area as a restaurant on an evening. to say it is uninspiring is an understatement. The area is drab, with square wooden tables, no table covers, and hard wooden chairs. Both our starters were hot prawns in garlic and were Ok. However our main course of sirloin stakes was dreadful. The steaks were full of gristle and when I ate mine I thought that I was eating a piece of shoe leather! Also I had ordered chips with my steak, and was very specific in saying " I just want a very small portion, not piles". However when my steak was presented I had three new potatoes that had been cooked in their skins and then plunged into hot fat, and were dripping with grease...I found that disgusting and said to the waitress I ordered chips. She just looked at me and vanished so I assumed she had gone to the kitchen to sort out my problem. Then 10 minutes later she arrived with another couples main meals and appeared to completely forget the complaint. Not only that but the service was absolutely appalling and we waited over 30 minutes after finishing the main course for someone to ask us if we wanted to see the sweet menu. In the end we had to grab the barman and say "can we see the sweet menu". This is a dining experience that I just want to forget!

5/ I have already said what I think of the dining experience and I just want to make some points about the breakfast. once you have found a table you help yourself to cereal or fruit. Well I have stayed in hotels all around the country and have never seen such a poor choice. The fruit choice on Sunday morning consisted of two oranges and two apples, whereas most places offer grapefruit , fruit salad, grapes, etc. etc. it was laughable! Yes the cooked breakfast was Ok especially if you had the full English.

6/ On Saturday night we went to bed about 11pm, undressed and got into bed. The traffic by then had stopped except for the occasional car. Suddenly we could hear a lot of shouting and raised voices and upon looking out of our window (that was jammed partially open) we could see a number of youths in the middle of the main road, right under our windows, playing football!
I just could not believe it, so we waited for 15 minutes or so to see if they would move on, but no the racket continued. My wife said this is ridiculous and she phoned down to reception to complain. To her surprise the person who took the call said "Oh so you want me to get the boys in then?" and my wife said "I don't think we are being unreasonable to expect to be able to get to sleep when we want" and shortly afterwards the noise ceased. I can only guess that the people playing football were staff members from the hotel....It just beggars belief.

7/ I must now say in retrospect that I cannot believe that I paid £290 for two nights B&B and then another £105 for our evening meal with drinks for an experience that I would not wish on my worst enemy. What more I thought that with the price that I was paying we would get something special but it shows just how wrong you can be.

As you can guess I shall be giving The Swan a wide birth in the future!!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the garden and avoid rooms on the front overlooking the main road.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank geronimo1049

Travellers are raving about these Hay-on-Wye hotels

Munich, Germany
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We spent two nights at the Swan. Overall, everything was ok, the room was nice and clean and the breakfast was good. We got a special price for the room, the standard price would have been slightly to high.One important note for people staying over the weekend: rooms #12, #11 and #10 are directly over the bar that can be well heard (at least in in room #12) till midnight.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms #12, #11, #10 (over the bar)
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hay-on-Wye
Llangoed Hall
Old Black Lion
Old Black Lion
#3 of 29 in Hay-on-Wye
The Baskerville Arms

Been to The Swan at Hay? Share your experiences!